What the fuck did I just read?

what the fuck did I just read?

A mediocre book.

Overrated trash.

A masterpiece read it again to appreciate it.

Coulnd't force myself to finish it. Everytime I read it felt like a chore. Suddenly I realized that even if I read it all it wouldn't make that much of a difference since its not one of the "great books" of our civilization [1]. So I just gave up.
1. I believe that there are some books that, even though feel like a chore, one should still read them. For example: "On The Spirit of Laws" by Montesquieu was such a though read but I still forced myself to finish it.

Probably his most straightforward book. What did you have a problem with?

Inspiring thread, very thought provoking.

Might I remind you that this is Veeky Forums? If you want thought provoking threads go elsewhere.

Kind of agree with the people here but I wouldn't call it a terrible book because it isn't 900 pages long and self indulgent. Ultimately who cares about "DUDE HISTORY AND SAMENESS LMAO"? The pseuds would be lining up to call it deep if it was a 600 page Russian book from the 19th century.

>DUDE HISTORY AND SAMENESS LMAO
what did he mean by this

Sure, I'm out until summer ends.

If you mean PKD: "Stuff looks the same but different stuff may have happened... and shit... like woah!" To be fair, he's on par intellectually with Pynchon.

This. The setup and world building is garbage.

the truth
not kidding btw.
apart from the oss/cia continuing mengele, braun and his crew etc they also have the same economic policy. strong oligopolies protected by state state. lots of military spending. patriotism, jews are sandniggers now etc.

what the fuck r u using footnotes on ur shitposts?

>implying it gets any better based on the season

You * are † a footnote ‡ of your § mum. ‖

* pronoun - used to refer to the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
† verb - second person singular present and first, second, third person plural present of be.
‡ noun - an additional piece of information printed at the bottom of a page.
§ determiner - belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
‖ noun - a woman in relation to her child or children.
¶ a symbol used to mark a new paragraph or section of text.

Yeah, why even bother reading something that's not on the "100 books you must read before you die".

How did you gather any of this from The Man in the High Castle?

It's been years since I read this, it's certainly not representative of PKDs work as a whole.
Mostly I remember it talked a lot about jewelry.
The setting was just a backdrop, whereas in the TV show it is the main focus

>it's certainly not representative of PKDs work as a whole
How so?

You're cute and funny, I like you :3

>cool premise
>huh, being executed a little slowly, maybe it picks up
>SOUVENIRS SOUVENIRS SOUVENIRS
>non sequitors that let you post on Reddit "Most mind blowing ending ever!!!"

It's usually a bit better late fall. This year has just been absolutely horrible year-round because of the election and all the recent political events. And no, don't blame it on /pol/ because while they may start the bait threads that shit up this board, most of the posters on this board flood those threads with posts and ignore actually good literature threads (which die with few posts because apparently nobody wants to talk about literature anymore).

It has an actual certain attention to detail and historical accuracy, even though you don't see much. PKD supposedly drove himself nuts reading Nazi diaries not typically open to the public from the library of some university near him, and he also did a fair amount of reading of other scholarly works to polish up the whole product, as he himself says in the beginning, if I remember it correctly, with the brief little bibliography he has there.

I think this extra attention he paid to making it historically plausible is what lead to its pretty negative reception amongst fans/readers of it today, since it feels overdone and stuffy and doesn't have the same wild passion of Dick's other's works where he goes crazy, like Ubik and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, which are mindblowing in a way they couldn't be if they were as carefully crafted. Compare also to A Scanner Darkly, a piece of shit that is also ironically PKD's most "literary" work; it's awful because he tried too hard to make it consciously literary, and he even said it was the first book in his career (note: he wrote this pretty fucking late in his career, after writing like 30 other books) that an editor went along slowly with him with, urging him to flesh out every character as much as possible etc. etc.

Also, he wrote it with the I Ching. That is, he would use the I Ching (as described in the book) to determine what would happen in the plot and to the characters; again, this artificial constraint, instead of writing according to his intuition, again probably made it worse.