Philosophy

Hi Veeky Forums. Any chart, infograph or advice on philosophy?
I Would like to learn more, but I'm afraid of gettin lost.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_important_publications_in_philosophy#Historical_Philosophical_Texts
warosu.org/lit/thread/8071100.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

>docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

OP here
Thanks, Lot of job there.

What's with this autistic response to a valid answer? If you think that's too long-winded here's one en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_important_publications_in_philosophy#Historical_Philosophical_Texts

Go fuck yourself.
Eat shit.

Here pal

There are actually 13 or so good philosophy charts except very few people actually seem to have them all to post for us.

I saw this and "start with the greeks" many times, but I don't know about the ones you point

read the greeks before you fuck with things that come after them (anything Christian or after it) because they all reference Greek shit

Great, but
>Lacan
>Freud not found
What?

The philosophy charts are all solid and cover various subjects and time periods. The early charts cover the Greeks pretty well in terms of their philosophy output.

I scrolled through too fast and thought this was a picture of tendies. Have a bump, though. I always feel stupid when I read philosophy because it's hard for me to focus on it for more than a few pages. Plus for some reason, if I want to actually absorb any of it, I can only read it at about half the rate I read other stuff. Good on you for expanding your horizons.

Found some new charts on various philosophical specializations in this thread: warosu.org/lit/thread/8071100. If anybody wants to repost them here for (You)s, be my guest.

Anybody know of a good non-meme book on critical thinking? I only know of an old book that's very hard to find, and I want to replace it with something more modern and accessible without sacrificing quality.

The old ones are a lot more holistic if someone could please find them.There were a lot more and covered much more in terms of philosophical ground.

Is there one of these for eastern philosophy?

I'm pretty sure the 13 or so older philosophy charts had one involving Eastern Philosophy at the very least.

Posting a criteria of topics from a good, but old book on critical thinking:
>Creative & Critical Thinking - W. Edgar Moore
>Decision making -- The hypothetical syllogism -- Reliability and probability -- Evaluating evidence -- Forming hypotheses -- Testing hypotheses -- Generalizations -- Statistical concepts -- Statistics and probability -- Reasoning from generalizations -- Forming causal theories -- Testing causal theories -- Evaluation and decision -- Value judgments -- Creative thinking -- Fallacies of irrelevance -- Neglected aspect -- Pitfalls in language -- Classification and definition -- Categorical propositions -- Immediate inference -- Categorical syllogisms -- Alternative and disjunctive syllogisms -- Interpreting propositions -- Involved arguments -- Complex syllogistic forms -- Need-directed thinking -- The personal point of view -- How we distort the evidence -- Emotions and thinking -- Hidden propositions -- Psychological pitfalls -- False assumptions -- Devices of persuasion -- Refining value systems.

Unfortunately, the only modern and easily retrievable books (hint libgen) that can replace that are:
>Critical Thinking: An Introduction to the Basic Skill - William Hughes
>The Imaginative Argument: A Practical Manifesto for Writers - Frank Cioffi
>Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow: Daniel Kahneman
And even then, you need all of these books to cover MOST of those topics. It's not like they're not good books, the first book on critical thinking is fine, and the other two have their own merits (but cover way more than just some topic-related elements of critical thinking), but you'd be way better off with just one book and learn the rest from experience. A fucking shame, really.

bumppity

Ugh you are that guy from the autodidact thread it seems. Pretty sure that poster is looking for the philosophy charts for some specific reason.

What autodidact thread?

At first glance I thought OP's picture was of chicken nuggets.

Don't bother with the Greeks, especially if English is your mother tongue.

None of this is philosophy

McLogos
>i'm lovin' it

Philosophy is love of wisdom. Plenty of it in those books.

>posts Shakespeare
>says "don't bother with the Greeks."

Idiot.

>Hi Veeky Forums. Any chart, infograph or advice on philosophy?
>I Would like to learn more, but I'm afraid of gettin lost

You already lost, lmao. Fucking pathetic some of you fags need handholding and charts in order to read a fucking book.

replace Shakespeare with Jung and I might agree

I am reading the Robert Fitzgerald translation of Odessey

how fucked am I?

Freud wasnt philosopher, thats why i could ask about Fromm, coz he has impact on myself

>Fucking pathetic some of you fags need handholding and charts in order to read a fucking book.

thats a really nice point m8

Thank you based user

You'll be fine bud.

>no Stirner

Indian Philosophy vol. I & II by Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan

An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu
Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy by Philip J. Ivanhoe and Bryan W. van Norden

You're not going to find Stirner on a list written by a Marxist. After reading The Ego and Its Own, Marx got really pissed off at Stirner, compelling Marx to write several chapters of vitriol against Stirner in The German Ideology. Even though it barely scratched any of Stirner's arguments and was more of a vicious personal attack, the great minds of Marxism deemed it a worthy rebuttal, and never even bothered to read the Ego and Its Own to determine whether the debate was truly settled. Stirner was pre-occupied with family matters and later is poor health, dying before he could mount an effective response, and Stirner's reputation plummeted until its recent revival among anarchists and edgelords.

Thinking fast and slow may be of your interest, I think it's quite large for what it offers but it's an opinion.
I don't understand why, but not a problem, my mother language comes from latin.
>Fucking pathetic some of you fags need handholding and charts in order to read a fucking book.
I do think you were wearing a fedora while writting this. go fuck yourself scholarly.
Right, but Lacan is so influenced by Freud I don't think you can have it without Freud.
Stirner added to the list.

For people who asked, yes, I'm interested on western philosophy.

>Thinking fast and slow may be of your interest, I think it's quite large for what it offers but it's an opinion.
Haha I already suggested that book as a replacement here: . It's a good book, but it would be nice to have something more concise, with this being an additional resource. Thanks for the suggestiong though.

>I'm afraid of gettin lost
Philosophy is absolutely not for you.

I don't know what is so hard to get about what I posted in first place.
I can't pick books randomly, read them and expect to learn properly, so I need some advice to not get lost.

What does the colors mean in the lines?

Why Marx got pissed off at Stirner? What a retard.
Have you ever read The Ego and Its Own?

Jung is a fraud. All of that archetype stuff is horseshit. We're all special snowflakes, ironically enough. Go to Hell, you hopeless relativist.

this.

Poetry, plays, historiography, philosophy, etc.

>dying before he could mount an effective response
He couldn't because The German Ideology is a posthumous work that was published only in 1932.

>Stirner's reputation plummeted
What reputation?

Because communism is one of the ideologies criticized by Stirner in his work.
>Have you ever read The Ego and Its Own?
You clearly did not.

No, it's worse, they need charts to read other charts.

Lol, I didn't say that I read the book, I just asked if you did, because I'm really interested in it.

sssshhhhhh don't disturb the user, he is so pissed off at other people on the internet.
sshhhhh

yes... i'm afraid of him
*whisper*