Just read pic related

Just read pic related
Where do I go from here?

I'd recommend actually reading books.

Maybe the Trivium, some fiction or a non fiction book about something you actually want to learn.

Did you like the book, OP? I found it was very helpful but I still failing to annotate things from the books I'm reading, but that's just because I'm a lazy piece of shit.

How did you read that without knowing how to read though

okay, to open the book, you have to gently caress the cover in a counter clockwise motion. It should open on it's own if it's feeling comfortable. Usually it's three times, but one of my friends told me they had to do it 10 times, but maybe they were just bad at it.

meme chart coming through

>Did you like the book, OP?
I loved it
Reason is I never used to read until one day I decided to give it another shot,
and then I got recommend this book by an user. My mind was blown away because I've never thought of reading like that, like an actual skill you have to polish. Ever since I was little and started school, I had just passively read text books and not understood them, merely memorized parts of them.
I no longer read passively. I actually try and understand the books I read and the authors behind them.

Oh wow this is perfect, thanks user!

>try to read this book
>don't know how
Help me Veeky Forums

>How to Meme a Book by Memetimer Adler
Once you've finished the book and put its advice into practice, you've learned how to effectively read non-fiction, both in analyzing single books and synoptical comparisons between books. Go start reading non-fiction and start learning/thinking for yourself, since you now have all the tools to start improving yourself at your own pace.

Of course, just by applying yourself to reading, whether it is through the advice of How to Read a Book or simply making reading every day a habit, you've probably increased your ability to concentrate, improving your general reading ability. In that case, start reading fiction if that suits your fancy. Adler includes a list of classics at the end of his book, and there are plenty of Veeky Forums charts.

>The Art of Fiction by Meme Lodge
Pic related. This is a good place to start before you start reading fiction seriously, so you learn to appreciate the basics and point them out as your start on your reading journey. It provides examples of literary devices and analyzes why they are effective, so it might make you a better writer in addition to exposing you to snippets of literature anyway. Once you've read this, though, it's definitely time to stop procrastinating and start reading fiction.

Not for the faint of heart. Good books, just often not for the faint of heart due to the order and the lack of prerequisites. Try anything that I haven't recommended without some background in the subjects and you will be frustrated unless you've built up some grit.

My core, for example, would be How to Read a Book, The Art of Fiction, and The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing, MAYBE a book on critical thinking of some kind (any decently rated one that covers all the essential topics will do), and then ignore everything else until much later and start reading (unless you want to read the stuff in autodidact liberal arts, since there's good stuff there anyway).

The Trivium is good but I would recommend starting on some basic books on logic and grammar and reading examples of rhetoric (read: the art of fiction and probably just reading good books) before getting invested into it. Otherwise you'll be lost.

Doesn't this book literally have a massive list of recommendations? You sure you read it OP?

Good advice.

It's a shame this got buried so quickly. Maybe it's time for a new critical thinking / autodidact general to start again so we can make a better meme list.

OP here, yes please!

I'll do it in a few hours. Currently occupied with some personal projects but it's on my to-do list. Maybe in 3 hours.

Alright, appreciate it.
I won't see it before tomorrow morning though (its 2200 here and I have to wake up early tomorrow due to work)
>tfw yuropoor

I'm a burger vacationing in Europe. Still haven't gotten rid of the jet lag lol. If it's a good thread, you'll be able to find it in the morning. I'll make sure that the title includes /ag/ or Autodidact General verbatim, so you'll have an easy time in the archive in case it doesn't get a lot of activity.

Looking forward to it then, user.
Have a nice vacation

>another attempt at goodposting kills a thread
Listen, are you trying to destroy the activity of Veeky Forums?

bumperoni

Never got around to it. Spent a long time looking for a book that I realized could only be found in good libraries and not online, so I'm revising the list again. Sorry, and I pray that you don't spend too much time looking for some random crap that never got posted. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow.

bump for interest

>how to read a book
>its a book

why is this allowed

There's several levels of reading you faggot. This book is about going above the elementary level.

You're ready to start reading books now.

Start with the Greeks.

How helpful is the this book and the techniques it suggests?

Its close to 500 pages how much is that on actual methods and how much is just anecdotes and tangents?

The old version is decent but shorter. There are tangents, but they're used to prove a greater point, and it's good insight into an intelligent and knowledgeable academic's mind in case you want to head in the same personal direction. The new book from 1973 retains the old exposition but also goes onto talk about reading across books, various book topics like social science and literature, and otherwise gets a little broader and is still worth a read.

You could also look for one of those meme images that summarizes the book well. But I think using How to Read a Book as training wheels for annotating and scrutinizing other books is a great idea that will pay off dividends in the future.

Yeah I had the same kind of epiphany. I always feel like the people on this board that shit all over the book have either never read it, or somehow get turned off by how hard reading actually is so they go into denial about it.

Every single page is worth reading. Never seen so much practical advice in a book. I'd recommend How to Read a Page as well.

Thanks, my free time will cease at the end of this year so Im kinda worried about how I invest this myself with reading.

Every time someone says this it's a sign they know nothing about reading. Two seconds of thinking should reveal that there must be different kinds of reading. I know this is bait but people say it for real often, and it betrays an insane level of arrogance to think one knows how to read perfectly even though one isn't even aware that words have multiple meanings.