/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Follwing pic related, but my library only had the Fitzgerald translation of Illiad and Oddyssey, am I fucked or is this ok? Any tips to get the most out of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

bible-researcher.com
web.archive.org/web/20061125230252/http://eng.nbp-info.ru/cat30/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Russia_(party)
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/theme
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/argument
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
gen.lib.rus.ec/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, I couldn't find a pdf/epub of Fagles, if anyone can provide that, I'd appreciate it!

Awhile ago a kind user linked me an archived post about ebook resources organized by English, French, etc etc and it had tons of useful links, but alas I forgot to bookmark them. If anyone knows about this, please do share :-)

which translation of mein kampf is the most accurate, ie closest to the original, also where can it be found

just learn german nigga

Fitzgerald is pretty sweet. I read him last go around.

>learns german to read a book
>the language dies withing 2 decades
>becomes irrelevant
>mein kampf is banned world-wide
>tfw spent a long time to learn a dead language to read a dead book about a dead people

Elizabeth Taylor is playing Cleopatra in Cleopatra. Was the early part of the movie in which Caesar was in Egypt, and then Cleo brought to Rome, based on any written literature or historical account? If so, which?

wich one of those books talk about the castration of uranus?

what are the best (hopefully free) resources to learn a new language?

FSI courses. Begin with Duolingo if FSI is too dense for you. Adopt vocabulary from a frequency list. When you have a good command of reading and understanding the language you may begin to read or view actual material and use a dictionary.

If your goal is to write and speak with natives it would be well to purchase a graded course.

I think Fitzgerald reads smoother than Fagles, would recommend.
Just read a sample on Amazon or something, and compare yourself.

which version of crime and punishment do i buy

E-reader/e-book, whatever theyre called or a general tablet for reading?

Hesiod's Theogony. Also Hamilton.

thanks buddy, I'm gonna give it a read.

Which version of Aurelius' Meditations should I read, and why?

E-reader

what's kants and nietzche's magnum opus'?

Pevear & Volokhonsky. Ignore the memesters, their Dosto translations are superb and ditch the traditional practice of "improving" the writing to conform to Western ideas of erudite literature. Its the rawest Dosto you're going to get outside of the original Russian.

Thank you for that pic op

Good books from post-Roman/medieval period please? Filling the gap before The Prince and The Divine Comedy (even though they count as medieval).

The Canterbury Tales
Arthurian legends. Probably need a good chart to breakdown exactly what to read, but Le Morte D'Arthur is a good, somewhat revisionist work.
Gawain and the Green Knight is more contemporary
Beowulf, Heaney translation. Indispensable.
Song of Roland and other Chansons de Geste

New to Neitzche and Ayn Rand. Can I jump right in with Thus spoke Zathuratha and Atlas Shrugged, respectively?

No and Yes. TSZ is the culmination of Nietzsche's work, read everything else first.
Rand, you can jump in anywhere. Its all overindulgent trite, but by all means form your own opinion.

I don't know whether I should be taking advice from trips like these...

But thanks! I'm gonna search around for a Nietzche starter pack/flow chart, but if you feel like listing out what I should do instead, that'd be cooler.

>p and v
Kys faggot.

Dude nice argument, I too love intellectually editorialized versions of carefully composed texts made of deliberately subversive word and language choices!

I am reading Gergory Hays, it is a bit modern for my taste but very easy to get through and really comes across as a bloke putting down his thoughts and ideas.

I heard statements similar to yours, but was unsure if Hays or older (60's or so) translations might be more relatable or impactful. I'll take a look at Hays since it appears to have been received well in most online forums.

Thank you.

What do you call words within a word? Or a word that means something different once you remove the initial letter?

Something like say,Clover, remove the C and it becomes Lover. Sorry If I'm being a brainlet

Posted this in the last sffg just before it 404'd

Am I a faggot for legitimately enjoying the Inheritamce Series by Paoloni?

Other than the KJV Bible which are worth reading. Then beyond that is there much to be gained reading the less known ones?

wordception

I doesn't matter since the prose is cringe worthy bad even in german so you won't lose anything

>Other than the KJV Bible which are worth reading. Then beyond that is there much to be gained reading the less known ones?
Most dumbest worded question here. I have no idea what you are even asking. Are you ESL?

Let me have another go. I am sorry I didn't met your standards. I am studying. I only know about the KJV. Which other version are worth reading? Is there much to be gained from reading other version if you are already familiar with the KJV?

Is that better?

That's better. KJV is hands down the best prose you will ever find in a bible. Though, it is pretty accurate, there is much debate on how accurate it is compared to recent translations. Also, some books were purposely left out, and considered Apocrypha, which you will find in Catholic bibles.

how does one into Nietzche?

Any specific brand or model in mind?

wanna start with Pinecone but dont know if I should start with Gravity's Rainbow, Against the day or Mason and Dixon

Thank you very much. I recently discovered the WEB, World English Bible, which has a 'smooth reading' or 'flat' version, formatted like a normal novel with a single a column and no verse or chapter numbers, making it easier to read cover to cover. Do you know if there are any 'flat' versions of the KJV?

What did Plato mean by this?

Reading Fitzgerald's translations at the moment, he's very good. Continue, my main dude.

>kants
The three Critiques:
Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, Critique of Judgement.
Not just the CPR, all three. The three are his magnum opus.
>nietzche's magnum opus
The closest thing would be Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but Nietzsche is not a systematic philosopher, his whole corpus needs to be explored in chronological order, you don't get "all the Nietzsche" from TSZ.

Read the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

This is why we insist on getting you to read the Pre-Socratics in images like the one in OP.

Plato is heavily influenced by Pythagoreanism and their mystical theories of numbers and geometry.

Start Nietzsche with The Birth Of Tragedy, it's short and neat, also a good introductory.

Just a question.
In case one can read efficiently both a romance language and english, which of the two is better to read the iliad/odissey in?

Any French literature that isn't depressing? I want to read something in French but I'm feeling somewhat happy for the first time in months and don't want to ruin it.

Romance

Fitzgerald is superior

What did they answer? The correct answer is yes.

Is there any chart to get into Aleister Crowley ?

What is the best translation of Anselm's work? There's a Hackett and an Oxford World Classics on Amazon that both contain most of his work, are they good translations?

Good Anna Karenina translation?
Good Notes from Underground translation?

Where to go after Tolstoy, Dosto and Gogol?

I honestly don't have a clue but I will say that OWC usually produces quality stuff. Don't just take my word for it though

>Do you know if there are any 'flat' versions of the KJV?
there is a translation called the New King James Version, which is essentially the same but with updated language. The New Oxford Bible is good if you want a strictly secular viewpoint but I don't recommend it.
The NASB is usually considered the most accurate bible translation, but is also criticized as being boring and difficult to read. The ESV is easier and more poetic but its less accurate and considered a "Protestant" bible. If you want a commentary, read Matthew Henry's commentary which is available for free on biblehub.com and for 2 bucks on e reader form

Can someone please suggest a interesting (but accurate) book of historical short stories? Like telling a summary of the life of Alexander the Great and then moves on to Genghis Khan etc. It doesn't have to be about specific people, it can be summaries of events, cultures or whatever.

Anyone have a chart or some recommendations for Psychology? Where to start?

>Read the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

>New King James Version
>NASB

Thank you I will have a look at all three.

Are there any versions of the bible that contain "controversial" translations or interpretations?

May I have a link to the Veeky Forums discord?

Tablet unless you plan to read outside. They are cheaper and bigger. 10.1 inch display with anti-glare screen protection and some form of blue light reduction like Flux or twilight is better than a shifty phone sized e-ink device.

Plutarch's Life of Caesar and Cassius Dio's Roman History are two which mention this, I think.

Do you guys read fiction or non-fiction before going sleep? I'm no Tim Ferriss guy, but he recommends fiction. I've always struggled to find good fiction books. Where to start?

I didn't see the title of the thread at first and thought the joke was that other people were asking equally dumb questions but no one replied to OP.

>The Canterbury Tales
>before The Comedy

I don't use either but it's common knowledge that you should get a real e-reader. Much better for your eyes.

Plenty of KJV editions keep the Apocrypha.

You are a faggot for using sffg in the first place but you should legit kill yourself if you like Paolini.

Is op a fagot?

>Are there any versions of the bible that contain "controversial" translations or interpretations?
there are translations that are considered "liberal". the nrsv and the msg are the most popular ones. they are terribly inaccurate though
bible-researcher.com
this website was very helpful to me

Do you really get more of out actually reading philosophical texts, than just papers/encyclopedias that summarize their main points and arguments? If philosophy is trying to establish things through logic, then isn't simply reading the propositions more or less enough? When I try to read most philosophical texts, it just bores me to tears, because it seems like they are just repeating statements over and over. I feel like a dumb philistine because of this. I get far more enjoyment from reading ABOUT Aristotle's views, for instance, than actually reading his works.

you're right. brevity is the soul of wit and a lot of those dudes love the sound of their own voice.

watch the exposés from conferences and book tours of the author. videos is better at communicating ideas. 1hour of video >>>>>>>>>> any book

What is the meme book that this girl is holding?

web.archive.org/web/20061125230252/http://eng.nbp-info.ru/cat30/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Russia_(party)

My brother stole a copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton from his middle school library a long time ago. Now I feel like reading it

I never read a book before. Where should I start?

The Cat in the Hat
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Rainbow Fish

>9729816
>On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon. That night he had a stomach ache.

What did he mean by this?

I feel like I dedicate very little time to literature (2h a day) and should expand on that, but I already have so many hobbies that it is very hard to keep doing all of them, I'm currently doing:
>Drawing
>Piano
>Anime/Manga
>Games
>Literature
>Philosophy/History/Theology
>German and Japanese

Literature for me is the most important of them, followed by Philosophy, Learning Idioms and Practicing the Piano. What is your opinion Veeky Forums? Should I abandon my other hobbies and focus on the most important ones? Should I just dedicate less time to those secondary activities instead of abandoning them completely? Sometimes I feel like anime, games and drawing are a waste of time, but sometimes I feel they are quite nice. I'm so confused.

How many hobbies do you people have? And how do you organize your free time?

Do what you think will be the most fulfilling in the long term. I think 2 hours a day with literature is considerable, especially if you work full time. I wouldn't abandon any activities you enjoy unless you regret doing them afterward. My hobbies mostly involve reading, cooking, and working out, but I'd like to work on an instrument again soon too. The only organization I do is try to read a bit every day and work on other hobbies enough so I don't feel like I'm slipping backward in progress.

What are good resources to start writing?

Yeah, but it's a little hard for me to evaluate which activities I would regret. Sometimes I feel like I should quit Drawing and dedicate the time I spend on that on the Piano, but then after a couple of days I just feel like Drawing is a wonderful activity.

One thing I'm certain though is that I should really reduce the amount of time I spend on Anime/Manga and Games.

How do i get my brother to read some books?

He doesn't read anything, and whenever i try to give him an advice he just deflects or something.

I bought him V for Vendetta, but he doesn't seem to have read any of it even though it's been over 2 years since he got it.
Then i borrowed him Farenheit 451, and it's been over one year, and he hasn't even picked it up yet.
Then, since he seems to like boats i recommended he should check out 20 000 Leagues under the sea, and six months later, nothing.
When i asked him about it he just responded that "reading isn't really my thing"

For context, he's 16 now.

This would be a lot less annoying if he had other interests i could appeal to, but no. He just plays Fifa and GTA, that's all he does.
For Christmas i asked if there were any games he wanted, he could only name one, so i bought him that. And he hasn't played it in the slightest other than when i'm around.

How do I go about learning ancient greek?

I suppose if you really want him to read something you could reward him for it somehow. Or you could stop trying to manipulate your brother into liking what you like, you've tried, it doesn't work, let's move on

>Or you could stop trying to manipulate your brother into liking what you like, you've tried, it doesn't work, let's move on
As i said in the last bit, i'd be okay with it if he had oher interests, but even when i bought him the game he said he wanted, he didn't care about it.
He doesn't seem to have anything he's interested in at all, just Fifa and GTA

And i guess i could try rewarding him, but that just seems like i'm treating him like a dog. besides, i'm not around very often, so hard to keep up.

Care to elaborate? Maybe with examples? (Not OP btw)

You should read The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. Twice. A lot of Hesse's works are a one-read deal, but this and Steppenwolf are different. It kind of applies to your situation in a roundabout way, or more accurately, the situation you envision

any good us navy books?

What is the difference between theme and argument?

Good books on the war of 1812 from a close to unbiased perspective.

Where / how do you learn idioms?

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/theme
en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/argument

Does anyone have a nicely formatted chart like pic in OP, but for philosophy? Everything on the wiki is ugly and eye strain.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

>reading mein kampf for the prose
what the fuck

Stalagg version

How do you decide what to read after you finish reading one work?

Someone please help me. There is a very short story that I've been trying to find for ages. Its about two people, both married, having an affair with one another. She wakes up, and says she's back in love with her husband. He lies and says he feels the same way about his wife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Why does nobody here ever discuss the Aeneid, especially the John Dryden translation?

I know about gen.lib.rus.ec/ for free e-books, but where can i get free audiobooks?

What primary sources can I read to get a feeling of what the sophists are all about or is reading up on them on Wikipedia enough before delving into Plato?

Can anyone recommend me some good books about Neuroscience?