Light hearted Veeky Forums

A bit of context. I spend a lot of my time solo hiking. I love this activity, however, it can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster at times. To counter the darker moments I tend to read something lighthearted. The problem is I have hit a bit of a wall and need suggestions. I recently tried the Dark Materials books after they were repeatedly recommended to me but I didn't get on with them at all. Pratchett has been a good companion as well as Herbert, Gibson, Dick etc. Hopefully that gives you an idea of the sorts of books that have helped me stay upbeat on the trial, or at least distracted. Any suggestions for engaging, well writing, and if possible amusing books would be hugely appreciated.

WHY?! WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME SO WITH THESE JEZEBELS? All I want to do is come here for an asexual experience that will exercise my brain but I am constantly titillated by these vixens with their prodigious hips and provocative figures. Can I never satiate this thirst, will I ever know the touch of a woman and enter between her loins? Will my seed ever drip from her moistened hole?

Life is a constant hell. No wonder I resent women too.

>this photograph will be better if I bite my hair

Try Good Omens.

Alice in Wonderland

Don't blame the jezebels mang. Your problems are your own. If you can't help being distracted by an image of the female form you need to work on that in your own time. Personally I find a well endowed woman enhances my intellectual experience.

>punctum
That's the bit the makes the image for me.

Gaiman right? Noted.

Read but thanks!

Walter Moers' "Zamonia" books are pretty nice, especially "The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear" and "Rumo." It's a bit like Pratchett, but with lighter humor and less trope-focused. The illustrations are fun as well.

Another light-hearted Fantasy book I recall is Lud-in-the-Mist. It's pretty old and in regards much like a fairy-tale. (Though it takes place in a country where fairies have been outlawed!)

Gaiman and Pratchett.
I wouldn't recommend just Gaiman.

Brilliant thank you!

Interesting! I've always wondered how a collaboration works when writing a book.

I recently started reading Riddley Walker and loved the everything about it, but the way it was writing got a bit fatiguing when looking for some escapism.

Btw if you're out hiking, in nature and all, how about reading some Jack London? I've heard some adventurous types say it speaks pretty well to them.

Riddley Walker is a favourite of mine. It's rewarding when you get into it.
Maybe you'd enjoy Vurt by Jeff Noon, it's much easier to read.

fpbp

If you were going to post a female at least post an attractive one. She is not beautifully shaped I must say. Not to mention the teeth irk me.
Besides, you could have posted a classy and less revealing one, but alas you have choosen this and it hurts my inner sapien sexual

Never heard of Jack London so that's exciting!

Yeah I am going to give it another shot when I am in one place and can invest myself in the book properly. I will definitely check out Vurt.

Virgin!

Wow I never knew Veeky Forums was so repressed. It's ok to be attracted to her you know. It doesn't make you any less of an ""intellectual"".

I love this pasta

me too, I'm saving it this time, will try posting it on /int/

Anything from Brazil tbf

Wait? Brazil? The country or an author?

Country, obvs
Their works are mainly stories from common people and have quite a bit of irony
They're quite fun and can be very deep
I recommend either Dom Casmuro or Cousin Bazilio

Oops. Cousin Bazilio is Portuguese.
But I guess Memoirs of a Police Sergeant is pretty good too

Nice. I have read a very limited selection of South American literature. You've given me the kick up the arse I need to explore it more.

They have pretty good shit
It's a bit hard to get into it as a foreigner, as translations are very limited, but SA lit makes comfiness its specialty
My favorite is Iracema, by José de Alencar, but it's pretty difficult to get into if you know nothing about Brazil

>but it's pretty difficult to get into if you know nothing about Brazil
It's the sort of "hard to get into" that means you just won't get everything out the novel but are still able to enjoy the surface of it. Or it'll make no sense to someone unfamiliar with SA's history and culture?

Just to add I am fairly familiar with Gabriel García Márquez's work and have enjoyed it.

>It's difficult to get into Brazilian lit if you're not familiar with Brazil
>But I love Gabriel García Márquez!

It just uses a lot of resources unfamiliar to foreigners
You'll get it and may like it, but it's awkward at first simply because it has other influences
It's not like reading the Tao Te Ching out of the blue

I haven't actually read Garcia Marquez's works tbf
Trying to prep myself a bit first
No need to be rude

I've only read 100 Years. I certainly missed a lot of it but I did enjoy the book.
I suppose there is only way to really find out!

>Never heard of Jack London
Hang on, you've NEVER heard of the book "The Call of the Wild"? Or you just didn't know the name of the author?

I get not being familiar with his other books, but that specific one is pretty damn well known.

Yeah the Call of the Wild rings bells. I have weird holes in my knowledge.

>JEZEBELS
>the wife of Ahab, king of Israel. I Kings
>vixens
a female fox
>loins
the part or parts of the human body or of a quadruped animal on either side of the spinal column, between the false ribs and hipbone.