ITT

Underrated philosophy books

History as the Story of Liberty is better desu

I can only think of Tocqueville, Lamarck and Herbert Spencer
Maybe Adam's Smith other book, but I haven't read it so...

Nietzsche TBQH

>

Husserl
Spengler

bump

Are you Italian OP

>Spengler
This man has it right, Spengler was a genius. Even if you don't agree with his theses, his pivotal work (Decline of the West) is a masterwork of historical philosophy. It's compelling, well-researched, provocative and utterly unique.

Vico and de Maistre are fairly underrated.

there is laughably little philosophical content in decline of the west

>muh cycles can explain everything

he's a worse hack than evola

just read that yeats poem and be done with it

Not that user, but I'm intrigued by Yeats. What poem are you talking about?

the second coming

unduly prophetic too by being a product of the interbellum

He created a pretty comprehensive system that dealt with the interaction between cultures, civilisations, and schools of thought throughout history. Yes, he implied the existence of cycles - so what? That's not proof that there was very little philosophical content, just that you disagree with one of the main implications/conclusions. What's your actual reasoning behind condemning it?

Most medieval philosophy books other than Aquinas and Thomas Aquinas

Augustine*

>childhood is starting with the greeks
>adulthood is ending with the chinese

This. I can not find a flaw.

>the ship signifies being in time, the forest supra-temporal being
>so much for the theory of catastrophes. we are not at liberty to avoid them, yet there is freedom in them. they are one of our trials.
>the arguments may change, but ignorance will eternally hold court. man is charged for being contemptuous of the gods, then for not bending to dogma, and later again for having repudiated a theory. there exists no great world and no noble thought for which blood has not flowed.

I'm literally copying this out by hand so that it carves itself into my brain.

>thinks Chinese philosophy isn't a meme
>reads a translated version of a meme
Mozi is better, and even then it is severely underdeveloped.

The authors use American pragmatism and process philosophy to interpret Confucius, and then re-interpret that through Confucius' thought. They criticize earlier translations of trying to interpret Confucius under a Western (often Christian) lens, either emphasizing the similarities or differences. There's a lot of neat etymological stuff too.

There is a similar methodology there that MacIntyre was trying to do with the Greeks.

>Mohism
Well yeah, but you could just start with the Greeks