Who is the angriest writer you can think of?

Who is the angriest writer you can think of?

I struggle to find writers who capture the feeling of "rage" accurately. So who do you think done it well?

It has to be a certain kind of rage though, not "angry" like the feeling of a burst of anger... but more a long lasting burn of it? A lifelong anger?

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poems/48999/daddy-56d22aafa45b2
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The very first word of the Iliad is “RAGE.” The “RAGE” of Achilles when his honor is violated and his rightful prize and love is taken from him by his very own commander.

Yeah but I've read that already, and it wasn't quite what I had in mind.

Meant for

No one on here seems to care for her, but I have not felt such visceral anger seething from all of Toni Morrison's bibliography

>Women writer
Yes, I'd rather not waste my precious time, thanks

fritz zorn

I like to think I do a pretty good job.

Doubt it

Thanks

The author of my diary desu. Also Louis Ferdinand Celine and unironically Adolf Hitler. Think I'm joking do you, both of their most lauded translations in English come from the same translator, Ralph Manheim

rude

Angry people don't write good books.

I've already read Hitler. He definitely fits that description and the kind of "rage" I'm looking for in a work. His speeches are pretty much exactly that

Bullshit

Despite the fact that he repressed his rage, I'd say that Ernest Hemingway was probably one of the angriest men to walk this earth.

What makes you say that? I don't think so necessarily

Gass immediately comes to mind. Hell he's even quoted as saying something like "I write because I hate. A lot. Hard." or something or other along those lines.

Thomas Bernhard. Trust me.

This is true, especially on the level of rage. You may find someone who can mimic this well, however someone truly writing is such a state would appear retarded and unreadable imo

probably one of those black chaps like james baldwin. they're always a bit miffed about something or other

Not the right kind of rage

Why though? He didn't seem to be an angry man, I think he was just sad for life's meaningless. But this lack of meaning is the center of his literature.

Gaddis. The Recognitions is his only non-overtly bitter, angry book. Even J R has about as much anger as it does comedy

Cheers

>Not the right kind of rage

>but more a long lasting burn of it? A lifelong anger?
that's exactly the kind of rage james baldwin had

I'll check it out

Ezra Pound. Always angry, always a little outside of society. Huge narcissist whose ego survived psychological torture that would make others gibber. Paranoid.

Les Fleurs du Mal. Many rage poems, especially the poetic story "Assomons Les Pauvres!/Let's Beat the Poor!"

Chuck Palahniuk. Low-literature anger, he tried to crib his ethos from people around him. Fight Club really is good.

Notes from Underground. Nasty book, the main character has a lot of rage, and is largely a depiction of Dostoevsky himself.

Parts of Dostoyevsky I think. In general, he conveys emotions very directly and oassionately

>This is correct.

Hamlet has some of the best rage passages in all of literature desu

Mein kampf is easily the angriest book I've ever read, desu

Read a few already, but thanks for the suggestions

Hitler's passion was second to none
He was clearly an artist at heart

what sorta psychological torture did pound undergo?

Metal cage treatment in Pisa, followed by internment under indeterminate conditions in a mental hospital for the criminally insane, for 13 years. For a long period of Pound's capture, he was unaware whether his life was or wasn't in danger.

It's not as if he was somehow treated any worse than some others, but it's impressive that he didn't leave the experience humbled at all. He gave roman salutes to reporters when he arrived in Italy after his internment, and said "All America is an asylum."

Jim Goad's opinion pieces for the alt-right online magazine "Taki's mag" were the first thing that came to mind for me, OP. A steady, seething drumbeat of contempt for contemporary society, especially the Obama years.

Goad had an unhappy childhood, which explains the better part of his work.

bruh women are the angriest people on the planet

No they're not at all

Some of Arno Schmidt's short stories show his frustration and anger towards whom he perceives as bigots and fools. He tips his fedora a bit too much for my taste, though. You can also read The Dwarf by Pär Lagerkvist to experience pure disgust and hatred through the eyes of the protagonist.

An anti-bigot is the opposite of rage though, I feel.
If someone is truly full of rage, they'll be a bigot in some way.
An elitist bigot would probably be full of lifelong rage.

tumblr

full of teenage angst and stupidity, not rage

thanks

I disagree that Pound was angry. He had some troll in him though. He was a nice dude IRL.

This is true but it didn't last long. Eventually he disintegrated and disowned much of his work. I think it really did fuck his shit up.

No one I've read even comes close to Thomas Bernhard.

Lit will feel weird about this, but the guy that wrote Kick Ass. You can tell he fucking hates his own audience

icycalm

Are you a fucking moron? What are you doing here?

GRRRRRR ANGRY

Whoever wrote my diary

My. Twisted. World.

Garbage. Terriblly written and it's autistic virgin rage.

If a guy can't even manage to get laid in this life and he actually wants to, then he has nothing worthwhile to say at all

you're a pleb

THIS
H
I
S

I thought of her too. But OP doesn't mean righteous anger than stems from injustice lmao

Rollins

>Rollins
He can't write for shit
Plus, he's a retard with a low IQ

Why else do you think he's so angry all of the time?

Was going to post this.

What? Read De Usura again. Of course, he wasn't angry all the time like OP wants, but if you're angry all the time you have a personality disorder anyways.

Pound "disintegrated" when all of his friends died. He was the last of the Imagists, hell, the last of the Fascists if you include him under that title. God damn why do I have such a bookboner for Ezra Pound.

underrated

Read Nietzsche's Untimely Meditation on David Strauss. It's a hundred pages of seething invective against Strauss and all German culture (or, according to him, the pseudo-culture of the cultivated philistine).

George Eliot.

Theodor Adorno

Absolutely. I've only read Concrete so far but it was visible even there

bukowski? he has a lot of pent up anger he should have adressed long ago...

Bukowski has anger, but it's hard to call that anger "rage". His anger is less about something and always seems more in the moment - maybe he's mad at a woman he just fucked, or maybe he's mad at his fellow contemporary poets, or maybe he's angry because he's poor. That's all fine and still a good read, but it's not "rage", or a long burning passionate anger

yeah, this is pretty much rage and alienation incarnate. fuck good writing, OP asked for angry shit, and this is it.

bukowksi wasn't really raging though
He was more like bossa novva music of literature

It's not angry, it's embarassing. Reads like a 13 year old kids journal after his parents told him off

Garbage.

don't forget his fellow Austrian Elfriede Jelinek!

OP here. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be reading most of them.

Stop suggesting women.
Women are bad writers for the most part, and there is no way they can be full of the rage I speak of, since it's not in their nature.

Thanks anyway

for the sake of obviousness...

poetryfoundation.org/poems/48999/daddy-56d22aafa45b2

>Woman
I don't think so

>Carl Panzram (June 28, 1891 – September 5, 1930) was a serial killer, rapist, arsonist and burglar. In jailhouse confessions and his autobiography, he claimed that he had committed 21 murders—most of which could not be corroborated—and over 1,000 sodomies of boys and men. After a series of imprisonments and escapes, he was executed in 1930 for the murder of a prison employee at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary.

>In light of his extensive criminal record, he received a 25-years-to-life sentence. Upon arriving at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary, he warned the warden, "I'll kill the first man that bothers me", and was given a solitary job in the prison laundry room. On June 20, 1929, he beat the laundry foreman to death with an iron bar, and was sentenced to death.[16] He refused to allow any appeals of his sentence. In response to offers from death penalty opponents and human rights activists to intervene, he wrote, "The only thanks you and your kind will ever get from me for your efforts on my behalf is that I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it."[4]

>While on death row, Panzram was befriended by a guard named Henry Lesser (1902–1983), who provided him with writing materials.[17][18] While awaiting execution he wrote a detailed summary of his crimes and nihilistic philosophy.[19] It began with a straightforward statement:

>“In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry.

>Panzram was hanged on September 5, 1930. As guards attempted to place a black hood over his head, he allegedly spat in the executioner's face.[20] When asked for any last words, he responded, "Yes, hurry it up, you Hoosier bastard! I could kill a dozen men while you're screwing around!"

Seems angry enough.

He sounds deliciously angry

Gaddis

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison

Ellison has a reputation for being abrasive and argumentative.[18] He has generally agreed with this assessment, and a dust jacket from one of Ellison's books described him as "possibly the most contentious person on Earth". Ellison has filed numerous grievances and attempted lawsuits; as part of a dispute about fulfillment of a contract, he once sent 213 bricks to a publisher postage due, followed by a dead gopher via fourth-class mail.[19]

everyone in every video game's chat desu

13yo kids rage tho

He was so articulate too.

Fight Club was too kek-worthy to take any rage seriously.

Yeah but this anger is resolved. Achille's anger is a problem to overcome. Homer wasn't angry.

Goonan

Houellebecq reads like a really angry guy trying to pretend he's not angry and just "telling it like it is".

Bukowski

Piero Scaruffi

Solzhenitsyn

Roth's Sabbath's Theatre is a very angry book.

This and Journey to the End of Night came off as incredibly angry books in a bitter middle aged man sort of way

Read both. Yeah, you're kind of right though. Cave definitely used to have that rage. Not so much anymore eh?

Nah he's mellowed with age. Have you read And the Ass Saw the Angel? It's from his grimier Tender Prey days. Southern gothic.

lol, I don't think he hides his anger.

houellebecq reads like the opposite of angry to me. more like a thick layer of crippling depression.

If anyone's into this: Watch Bronson.

Bronson is shit though. You must be American.

Bronson, the prisoner, is only admired by people who don't understand the mindset.

He's just a lowlife thug, he's not intelligent enough to be full of the rage OP meant.

Bronson was a girlscout compared to Panzram desu.

Steinbeck, McCarthy

Hubert Selby Jr.

This. Omensetter's Luck and The Tunnel are particular highlights of his rage.

And the Ass Saw the Angel is vitriol from start to finish. Euchrid is a character so full of hatred that he thinks his spit is venomous. It's my favourite book but I can see why people I show it to get bored or disgusted with it.

you read it post-meme, what did you expect?