/sffg/ - The Science Fiction and Fantasy General

pro-shill edition

anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?

Fantasy
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

Science Fiction
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

blindsight.space/
youtube.com/watch?v=26MM8pOcsDE
rifters.com/crawl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ubik

>the science fiction and fantasy general
>the
Mr Reddit. It was Science Fiction and Fantasy General for 2+ consecutive years, don't come changing shit that doesn't need changing. This is why no one likes you upboat cunts. You're like locusts invading a 1 acre greenhouse filled with juvenile plants, you just fuck everything up and shit everywhere. An hero asap

Ubik

Ubik

>the The Reddit "the" post

I'm reading City by Clifford D. Simak and it's pretty good. Probably shouldn't have put it off for so long.

>tfw no Conjoiner gf to make you feel intellectually and emotionally inferior

>anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?
no it's hot and I get sticky and the bugs crawl on me when I lay in the grass

You can kys too fuccboi

>/B&WCgen/ - Bakker and Wolfe Circlejerk General

malazan is amazing.

5th season is pretty good desu. schaffa is cool

This guy's right, OP is a faggot. Reddit should be shut down before any journalists get hurt.

Is greek literature just dry ass philosophy with a lot of mythology? Or is it also entertaining?

I was thinking about getting started, not sure though

Why did you post this in this thread?

>fear of bugs
Pussyol

not sure, meant to make a new thread

>Reading Brandon "muh deep worldbulding and magic system" Sanderson,

are you 16, kiddo?

Accelerando is pretty lewd

The man in the high castle is such a chore to read.

No one hear touts Brandon as being some masterful writer. Brandon himself even says he's a popcorn novelist. Where is this meme coming from?

Reddites trying to pretend that they are channers by 'dissing' something popular. sucks for them that we actually enjoy sanderson's regular publishings on this general. they miss judged their audience for their performance.

watch the show desu. the best live action series I've ever seen. I didn't like the book.

>do I fit in yet?

What the fuck are you talking about? Reddit loves Sanderson

>tfw no cute Arianespace manager to transcend humanity with

Ubik

Currently reading John Carter of Mars books 8-10
good stuff

better than the movie?

imo I think so. If you liked the movie, this is the only way to get more JC since Disney is never going bring the other books to film.
Though some of the later ones start to feel a little samey

and how would you know that Mr Reddit? I never went there so I wouldn't know

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" has been lying on my nightstand for about a year now and for some reason I always grab another book and never really go for it. I suppose it's because I know basically nothing about the book or the author. What's so good about it that it made the fantasy chart?

I found it enjoyable, gets a little anime at times.

He's got half decent worldbuilding and explores concepts about maguc systems in his interconnected worlds.

Prose isn't necessarily immature (though you can see how he's grown as a writer after some of the first mistborn books) but it's an easy read and not a grind.

Stories ramp up well and keep fairly interesting.

It's not muh deep lore and no one gets cucked, and that's fine.

Currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, having read Embassytown and The City And The City by him. He has an astonishing imagination, and I love his depictions of cities.

not sure how well it fits this thread.. but I've been very into magical realism lately.
Just finished Hundred Years of Solitude and Little, Big.
any more books similar to these?

I see, thank you. Sounds like I should pick it up then. I bought it on a whim when I was just looking for new fantasy books, and I guess I never picked it up because I thought it would be a grind just because of the cover. So many good books have boring covers, but I guess subconsciously I still keep making assumptions based on the cover art even though I've been proven wrong countless times.

It's shit. Why read a 1000 page novel when you can read a good 400 page novel

He also does large set piece moments well.
Gutted if he doesn't return to bas-lag.

Yes, that too! The scene where the militia break up the dockworkers' strike[\spoiler] was really well choreographed, tense, and heartbreaking.

Like Water for Chocolate is magical realism technically, it was definitely different.

If you want a movie then Swiss Army Man was straight up magical realism.

I saw a theory somewhere that This Census-Taker was secretly set on the outskirts of New Crobuzon. Not sure I buy it though.

Is that a Scrambler? I'd love to have a not-so-goofy looking one to just leave in random places about the house.

For some bizarre reason I totally misinterpreted what Watts wrote after my first reading and basically imagined a giant earwig

Just started Leviathan Wakes. Is the rest of the series good or should I just one and done this shit?

Also thinking about this. Will probably start with Mythology, The Illiad and The Odyssey and then if I really like them I'll go into the more heavy stuff.

i dunno because that's what I did. I seriously doubt it.

I imagined them as being like a centipede with tendrils/tentacles. Watts is a bit weak sometimes when it comes to describing how things appear/sequences of events where space and positioning is important. There's one notorious section in Echopraxia that to this day no one is 100% sure what he's actually describing.

As I was reading your post Echopraxia immediately came to mind. There's a lot of interesting stuff in there but at several points I honestly had no idea what action was happening.

It's not just you buddy. It's a damn shame because otherwise I love the guys writing. I remember reading an interview with him where he said that some fans had opined that Blindsight didn't have enough action so he tried to remedy that in Echopraxia. Even if he could write action scenes, why the fuck would you take on board a suggestion like that.

TUC epub link when?

>TUC
Trades Union Congress?

The Unholy Consult.

I know Pete whines a lot about having Blindsight trimmed down so I think that supposed butchering actually made it a lot more legible

I asked a few months ago if anyone wanted to split up Echo's chapters and write a wikipedia summary of the plot, but it went unanswered.

Also:

blindsight.space/

youtube.com/watch?v=26MM8pOcsDE

I didn't see that, I'd be up for it desu.

will syfy fuck up hyperion?
sage for offtopic

the story format lends itself to the format, and the somewhat low-tech setting means it might look ok
why? there been any news?

Hyperion The Expanse?

Hyperion itself is arguably a classic. The sequels let it down, but I'd wager they're still a significant tier above The Expanse.

What's going on with this? The website has zero information but has an address to email if you want to "join the project team".

check his blog
rifters.com/crawl/

honestly reading echopraxia right now, knowing I'll have to reread it again to actually understand half the shit this author is saying

>anyone else really enjoying reading in the summer weather?

Yes

I loved Blindsight and like but was ultimately disappointed by Echopraxia and I absolutely agree that there are some points where you simply don't know what the fuck is happening. Glad to see it's not just me; I thought I was losing it at some points but others are having a hard time following it at certain times then that's reassuring somewhat.

Out of interest, what point in Echopraxia were you referring to?

Weather is nice. I love reading in the dappled sun with an ice cold cider.

I picked up Stephen Lawrence's Pendragon from a used books fair today and being the idiot I am I didn't notice it was the fourth volume in a series. Is the Pendragon Cycle any good? I'm considering reading the first three books since I already bought the fourth one and all.

I really liked it when I was 13 or so. I recall them being quite compelling and interesting. In fact, I've been thinking of taking a weekend to do a Pendragon re-read.

Not a trace of dry philosophy for as as far as I've read. It's all glorious battles with mythological creatures and God's being assholes.

No doubt that reading Plato and Aristotle will be less dramatic.

Cool, I can't lie I'm a bit disenheartened because what I planned to be a quick, relaxing 500 page read suddenly turned into 2000 pages, but as long as they're good I guess it's alright.

Bakker is a hack and a pseud
Second Apocalypse is fantasy evangelion and straight fedora tipping garbage

*waits for some aussie, britbong, or scandi to strip the drm from their copy of TUC and upload it to IRC*

Any true arguments for your point?

I'm deep in a Stross-hole currently but either you dudes post about it again I'll get it going

probably tomorrow chigra. it's getting published then in the UK, then next week in the US

wow, thanks for that well-reasoned and insightful post. i've totally changed my opinion about the entire series and will desist from reading any further entries.

seriously though, this has been beaten to death a hundred times. you're not going to find anyone around here disagreeing very strongly with you (other than bakker shitposting and pretending not to be himself). some of us just want to have the mysteries/final plot resolved, and some of us just want to read more about women being impaled by gigantic alien penises.

Speaking of Bakker, did I just really read the fellowship of the ring journeying through the mines of Moria? I mean hot damn that was pretty blatant. Was it always like this, or was this the first major copy+paste?

Broke: The Second Apocalypse series is about "feminism"

Woke: The Second Apocalypse series is about Spinozism vs. Fichteanism.

reminder that there will never be a science fiction book that can match hhg2tg

Just finished The Dispossessed and loved it. What else by Le Guin is worth reading?

you read the lathe of heaven yet?

with shitpost aside, the second apocalypse is about what? I've just read the first triology and the only thing that I get is a sociopath that shit on religion.

Thought about taking that one next. Anything else?

Any other scifi humour?

All I can think of is gateway or Dick
And not humour about scifi dammit just a funny book

are you asking about what philosophy/s bakker stretched and twisted and stitched gay rape fantasies into? or are you really just asking about the overall plot because you're too inbred/lazy to read the summary sections before each book, the wiki summaries, or the very helpful fantasy history of the world that the series is set in that was written by a big bakkerfan?

I enjoyed Leviathan Wakes but the second in the series failed to keep me interested. I'd bail after the first of I were you.

The philosphy and theme, not the actual plot.

Is Melnibone pronounced like "bone" or "bo-nay"?

jebus/messiah figures bad
atheism gud
random christian symbolism and cosmic horror thrown everywhere to obfuscate the point

That was the first major copy paste and I loved every moment of it.

Did you also notice the start of the DnD campaign earlier.

>atheism good
>the bad guys are cosmic atheists

Really jogs my nog

It's unironically true that no book will ever do what HHGTTG does better than it does it.

Pretty new to this board and looking for a good summer read while I have the free time. Is The Lions of Al-Rassan a good starting point?

>It's shit. Why read a 1000 page novel when you can read a good 400 page novel
Let me guess. BoTNS?

I don't even know what rebbit is! is it like a new version of YikYak?

Why read a good 400 page novel when you can read a great 40 page short story?

no read tigana instead

We told you to write it yourself. You just choose to ignore the advice and play blind.

I am also interested in the answer to this question, because wiki uses an accented é but my shitty PDF-ified .txt does not

Yeah, that was pretty funny. Of course if I wound up in that game I'd punch the DM in the face after the fifth hour of nothing but walking and rolling on the random encounter table that only has entries for rape-demons, or maybe the endless DMPC railroading. I think the entire encounter at the end was just the frustrated players, even the one who was supposed to be playing the skinspy, were so fed up they intentionally caused a TPK just to kill the NPCs and escape the railroad

Undeniable, desu.
I read a collection of essays by Adams when I was in high school. He was obsessed with The Beatles. I'm curious as to how those essays would hold up if I reread them but I probably won't get around to it.

I'm on book 6 now, I like the themes and the writing is sometimes good but the dialogue sucks ass all the time. The characters are sort of predictable. It's all right for what it is. Alastair Reynolds is a better writer.