How do we combat the tyranny of P&V translations?

How do we combat the tyranny of P&V translations?

This is the edition i have. Is there a better translation i should be using?

By learning Russian

get a better translation

I think it's funny that everyone considered them the best translation for years. Then some online article comes along where a teacher says something like "my students don't like dostoyevsky as much IT MUST BE A SHIT TRANSLATION!!!"" It's a good translation, just millennials hate reading.

If you hate translations then learn the target language. Also pic related is a good way to sum up people who complain the most about the quality of translations. Just sub out Japanese with whatever language.

By naming a better translation.

I'll wait..

I agree that hate for them is over done, but some backlash was necessary. You must forget that there was a time when P&V were aggressively shilled in the media as the best or most accurate translations, but that just isn't true. There's a lot more to that article than "my students are plebs."

Quit being a faggot and translate it yourself, cuck.

>
>Not being Garnett master race

There will never be a good translation of War and Peace, because only deranged people would actually try to translate it.

>made Dostoesky sound exactly like Tolstoy
>master race

Their Tolstoy translations are fine.
It's their Dostoyevsky that's often criticized, as well as Master and Margarita which I hear is awful.
lurk more
The Maude translation is considered the standard, and there's a newer one that was very well received but I forget her name. It has the word "rose" in it I think

Who cares lmao they're all pretty much the same words just make up the difference in your head

You want to name any of those problems?
P&V dislodged centuries of a translation tradition that editorialized the texts to conform to Western ideas of erudite literature. They're not the end-all, be-all of translation but you're going to need to point out concrete flaws if you want to criticize them.

my man. fuck all the plebs.

PVp criticism should be focused on their poor gogol and bulgakov work; their tolstoy and dostoevsky are actually fine. however, legitimate criticism of the former get transposed onto the latter because most peopel are plebs who only know tolstoevsky

That sounds pretty reasonable; I'll admit to being a Dosto pleb and the translator's note at the beginning of Notes is very illuminating in regards to the deliberate subversion of traditional translation procedure. But if their other works don't hold up, that's a separate matter.

Their Dostoevsky really is indispensable though, its frustrating to see it treated like a failure by contrarians.

Still a pleb when it comes to Russian novels, but I found Crime and punishment as translated by P&V to be much more enjoyable than Bros. Karamazov translated by Constance Garnett. I have just bought the P&V translation of Anna Karenina and I'm considering re-reading a different translation of Brother's Karamazov in future as I found Garnett's translation old fashioned and quite impenetrable at points (although again that might just be because I'm a massive pleb)

Out of interest user, whose translations would you suggest for Gogol/Bulgakov?

>garnett
>not maude

>he hasn't read tolstoy and dostoevsky translated by Garnett
if you had, you wouldn't dream of saying this. god damn nabokovites

I feel that Brothers K is a bit impenetrable in general at times because of how much information is intentionally withheld from the viewer, either in order to create mystery or to challenge the reader to try to figure out why a character is acting a certain way.

I thought the P&V translation was difficult to read so I switched over to the McDuff translation which made the reading much smoother but also dulled some of the bite the P&V version had. Pick your poison, really.

learn Russian cunt