I don't get it

I don't get it...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FgyZ4ia25gg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You don't have to get it, you have to get the meme, swallow the meme, assimilate the meme

>the best english language novel of the past 50 years is a meme
Kys

It's beautifully written and entertaining, to be sure, but I didn't get anything out of it. Everything seemed pretty unimportant to me.

Kek, if that's the best English language novel of the past 50 years I'll start unlearning English tomorrow

You don't "get" novels, you read them. All that's relevant is whether or not you liked the book. You've been corrupted by academia.

There were absolutely 0 people in the audience listening to Shakespeare/Homer/Cervantes and saying "I don't get this." It struck a chord with the audience, which is the entire basis of it being judged worthy of analysis.

So did you like it?

"Getting it" is understanding the point. If there is no point beyond entertainment or aethetics, don't you think that's kind of superficial?

Anyway, academia has nothing to with this. Plenty of books I can find by its end a certain epiphany. Plato's Truth-in-Progress, if you will. That's the kind of thing I love in reading books.

You can't get your kicks from entertainment alone. If so, you might as well read Stephen King or Harry Potter, m80.

>attempting to prove no need for analysis
>analyzes the lack of need for analysis

>"Getting it" is understanding the point. If there is no point beyond entertainment or aethetics, don't you think that's kind of superficial?
No, he's right.

t. 21st century memeboi wop wop

t. vapid brainlets

t. sophomore

t. vapourguy

Stay retarded, my friends.

keep thinking great writers try to make "points"

keep reading books to discuss trite bullshit on Veeky Forums with your memey fake friends

Blood Meridian monsieur?

>actual discussion
>discusses the narrative rather than how the novel functions
Back to r/books you go.

>tfw I'm talking with the same guy who writes novels to support the autistic philosophical point he previously expressed in his meme-manifesto no one ever read
I guess I'll go to bed rather than r/books

I agree, a writer with something to say is very fun to read.

But there's a ridiculous desire among academics, and people who desire respect, to build literature up to be something it isn't. It isn't a learning tool. It isn't philosophy, or sociology, or psychology. Art can be a lot of things, but it isn't any of those.

>"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way."

>the evening feels in the west

theres nothing to get

Pa. Why are eggs breakfast?

What.

You can put bacon on lunch.

Ye.

But if you put eggs on stuff it becomes breakfast?

The man spat and said the eggs are not for this world or from this world they come from the chicken but the chicken knows it not.

He wiped his chin and spat

The book is challenging and no doubt ambiguous at times, but surely you'd at least have a basic appreciation for its depiction of humanity at its worst? Nobody is innocent in this book and it's an accurate portrayal of human depravity.

> post replying to mine implying that the book only offers gratuitous edge

That'd be one way to look at it, but I honestly think it should serve as a reminder more than anything that most people aren't innocent and that we should sometimes confront that unpleasant side of our own psyche.

Just finished this, so it's implied the Judge kills the Kid in the jake outside of the saloon right?

Killed and (probably) raped, yes.

no.

nothing is implied. you are literally leeft with just the impression of nohing

It's implied that SOMETHING happened. I like the theory that the Kid raped and killed the little girl in the jakes and that's what the others found so horrifying in there. The Judge himself wasn't physically present; it was the spirit of depravity he represents that overwhelmed the Kid when he found the little girl in there, and induced him to rape and murder her.

But of course, we'll never know for sure. McCarthy left it to the reader to imagine.

This meme about the Kid becoming a rapist needs to fucking die.

>little girl
there was a girl?

The girl who was playing music for the dancing bear and was crying after it got killed.

She wasn't mentioned being in the jakes though?

It's not stated explicitly; you kind of have to read between the lines (assuming you subscribe to the theory). It is mentioned that there were men out looking for the girl in the streets, so we know that the girl is missing. The Kid, when he opens the door to the jakes, sees the girl and is overtaken by "the judge" and rapes/murders her. Afterwards, he's the one telling the others not to go in and look at the aftermath. It seems like a bit of a stretch, but there are earlier instances of young girls mysteriously disappearing from places where Glanton's gang is encamped, which may point to the Kid being a sexual predator, and lending credence to the aforementioned theory.

It's all very vague though, typical of McCarthy. I like the theory because it adds a dark twist to the Kid's character, which otherwise wasn't too much different from the other violent, nihilistic scalphunters, and makes his conversations with the Judge a little more interesting, as both he and the Judge know that the Kid isn't as "good" as he would like to believe.

I'll have to reread that. I got the impression that it was someone else saying not to go in. Difficult to tell with the absence of quotes.

So the Judge being naked coincided with his presence together with young boys/girls, which lends a sinister air to when he appears naked but without mention of any victim. And he appears naked in the jakes when he embraces the Kid. It does Hint at Something.

I'm not sure about the missing girls though. They could be attributed to other members of the gang, and in this case the Kid is not alone. On the other hand, he is the only surviving member of the gang this time.

>Zane Grey up its own ass is best novel.

>telling the others not to go in and look
It's because he wiped his ass with his hands then wiped his hands on the walls. Now that is real evil--THAT is what the Demiurge has bequeathed man.

mccarthy didn't mention the missing girl in the ending chapter just superfluously. anyone who thinks the judge literally killed/raped The Man is a lower thinking life form.

>literature isn't a learning tool

i sincerely pity you.

lol brainlet detected.
If you dont understand that everything, including your life and shitty posts, contains an aspect of ideology reflecting the psychological conditions of society you truly are a waste of space in the arts. The type whose better off just watching capeshit essentially.

>whole book is filled with extreme violence, child molestation, scalping and other mutilations
>no one bats an eye
>some dead guy in a toilet is enough to shock people

I really should finish that. I was reading it on my lunch break. But since I quite that job I completely lost track of it. It's the only e-book I ever bought, so I might as well get my money's worth.

Read moby dick and paradise lost

this might help youtube.com/watch?v=FgyZ4ia25gg

>SOMETHING
yeah, probably you are a first grader in philosophy.

pure nothing is unthinkable, so it is always related to something, which in exchange marks the process of thinking nothing as the absence of something

I don't have any idea what you're arguing about, or why you think it's relevant. The reader isn't left with literally nothing; they're left with whatever they imagine might have happened, which is usually rape and/or murder, to be consistent with all the raping and murdering that took place throughout the entire book previously.

That is one butt-ugly woman. She also has a very ugly and stuck-up voice.

>pure nothing is unthinkable
lrn2 eastern spiritualism

You don't apprehend nothing by thinking of it. Take your own advice and lrn2 eastern spiritualism.