Hey Veeky Forums

How do you take notes? Do you sit down and write about it on paper? On the book?

If I'm intent on throughly analyzing a piece of literature I print it of the Internet, provided of course it's in the public domain. This way I can use my pen to mark off significant sections. Label those sections. Highlight significant information types (time/location, emotion/perception/thought, etc). And get an overall picture of the book's structure, section by section. You can't see this if you get the book in its regular format. You need to be able to spread the pages out on a table and draw arrows connecting section to section.

I use Onenote. Let's me write without margin restrictions.

I write in the book.

I use the Kindle's note functionality.

After scanning the final page on my printer, I usually write all over it until it's unreadable (I go to great lengths to make sure that at least the last two sentences are buried under my scribbles.)
Only on library books of course, otherwise I use a notebook.

>In Search of Lost Time
Oh, this is that book that one anime is based on.

me too, resell value is shit anyways and when you reread it it's cool to have all the annotations and errything, rarely I write something down seperatly

Ebooks truly are the way to go.

The first skim and the first analytical read through, I use post-it notes at the end of each chapter, potentially with a key for the more rich texts of where to find valuable scenes and information. I only annotate the pages the 2nd or 3rd time through. And with different color pens. And with the intention to read and write more in the future, so I become mindful of my space and try to write neatly. No matter what, I also keep 1-3 post-it notes that describe the last major read that I did somewhere in the very front or back of the book, complete with the last date I've read, a summary of the book, a key to find each major post-it note, and a "best of" table of contents. If it's a particularly valuable and/or difficult book, it's invaluable in reminding me where I left off, what I need to understand more, and how my readings change over time.

I forgot to mention that I also use post-it tags when I've finished a book and drafted cover page post-it notes. If I'm going to have a "best-of" table of contents, it's going to be easily accessible.

highlighter

Google Keep

I don't take notes. I never understood taking notes. I learn something by absorbing the information. If I don't know it, I keep looking at it until I can process and understand it. I find that if I actually take the time to fully understand a concept, and understand it logically, note taking isn't necessary and actually hinders actual learning.

what kind of notes do you take, and for what purpose are the notes for?

Pen and paper, my dude. Sometimes I'll type it up straight after.

Come on, show us some of your notes.

Are you married?

Very nice, I've still yet to finish reading Adler

That sounds really miserable.

No but I'm in a relationship. Why?

Thanks. It takes some discipline to get used to, but now it's section nature because I've compartmentalized the purpose of every type of read that I do. My little system helps me write the bare minimum necessary to do what I want to do with a book without going overboard, i.e., taking in-depth notes of something I'm not going to care for in the future, but without totally ignoring a potential opportunity for growth.

Sometimes I just want to get familiar with the book, see if it's worthwhile, and have something to talk about. Sometimes I want to figure out the deeper meaning of what is being said, how it's being said, and find a way to apply it. Sometimes I want to dive so far deep as to try to glimpse how the universe works and tell others about it in a novel way.

Not really. I like to do a section-by-section breakdown after finishing my first analytical reading, but that's often in a separate notebook that I label and catalogue in my "library guestbook", which is a little composition notebook that I use to track what I read. I only sometimes do this, like when there's something that blows my mind and I want to figure out how it does it, if there's literature or philosophy class that I really need to kick ass in, or if there's an important paper I need to write.

It's all about your priorities man. Don't be embarrassed by the guy that goes all out because that's his job. Read at your own pace. You might find yourself working like him when you find the right book.

second nature* Freudian slip there. I meant to say that I just "know" what I need to do, how to do it, and why I'm doing it.

A-asking for a friend

I don't like writing in books for posterity until I get a solid grip of what it's about. I'd like to look back at books and say "good thoughts user, let me add to it" instead of "jesus dude, calm down and let the guy write you rank amateur". Damaging books is a sin when you don't have free money to spend.

I'm

i highlight everything i see as important, and when i finish book, i download pdf where i use ctrl+F for searching highlighted passages and then i paste it to .text document i keep on computer and external hard drive. Then i highlight in said document whatever i perceive as most important. Last part may be difficult because i am autistic when it goes to internet connection and i often browse Veeky Forums despite my duty (like now). So going to another place like library helps. After those i could lend book away without feeling bad and grab another. I come back to .text document whenever i need to pwnd some plebs

How to Read a Book bayBEE

Use a sheet of paper as a book mark.

I based the way I read off of HTRAB, but my notetaking is mostly my own invention. Adler doesn't give any tips on how to take notes systematically, and I'm a bit more obsessive than most.

In my brain manlet.

I'm one of those guys in lectures who never takes notes. I often wonder if the lecturer is offended or thinks I'm not engaged. I am, believe me, but I like to let a lecture wash over me as opposed to trying to keep up taking notes.

I have a big word document that I keep summary notes in for each chapter, and then when I finish the work I write a few paragraphs with interpretation or thoughts or whatever about the work.

I tried annotating books once, but I don't like it.

ideas not worth remembering aren't worth writing

I write them on my penis.
Then when it elongates the message is revealed.

savage

Usually I'll write myself small note and reminds to help me make connections. If I'm writing out anything more I'll usually open up a word document and type out ideas to help me retain them for future papers and writings.

Just pretend that you have to explain and teach everything your reading to somebody else. It's easier to spot things that need remembering when you're actively looking for things worth remembering.

Thanks