The ultimate showdown:

The ultimate showdown:

Who wins, and why?

Shakespeare obviously, by a wide margin. Ulysses is really a worthless book, a novelty at best.

Shakespeare because he precedes Joyce

sources: Pierre Menard Author of The Quixote

>Who wins

Francis Bacon.

>and why?

Because I'm never wrong.

>favorite author has the last name of an overrated American breakfast meat
lmao what the fuck

Shakespeare. His work had greater scope.

This. Shakespeare has some of the most profound insights into human nature ever put onto paper. Joyce just plays word-games.

can you give an example of these so called "profound insights?" or are you just pulling shit out of your ass to try to impress your secret friends on your chinese cartoon website?

This was cute

sources: Leopold Bloom

Shakespeare on his contribution to language alone

Joyce reflects the sonorous, lonely, and subtly beautiful experience of being human in 2 books than Shakespeare ever could with half of his plays. Joyce posses the humor and understanding of all the grand farces and deep revelations of our consciousness.

Shakespeare is the grand fundamental storyteller and entertainer, and the better prose stylist. Shakespeare posses the ability to reflect all facets of what is externally true about all of us, in our personalities and our needs, and has a large empathy for everything. But Shakespeare rarely penetrates as deep as Joyce could.

Shakespeare wins if you are thinking on technical terms, for his large body of work, influence, and his ability to entertain such a large circle of different people through history.

Joyce wins as an artist, a high standard to what any creative human being should strive to be

>2 books

Ulysses and Dubliners?
Ulysses and APOTAAYM?
Or Ulysses and Finnegans Wake?

Pomes Pennyeach and Exiles actually.

I don't even like Joyce

or Shakespeare for that matter

“Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance.”

>not liking Joyce OR Shakespeare

Ulysses and Dubliners desu

Joyce easily
>5'10
>Irish
vs
>Manlet Englishman

you already post this exact thing a few days ago and you're posting it again? this ironically isn't normal behavior either, even for Veeky Forums.

>Joyce easily

kek.. need I remind you of "T-THRASH HIM, HEMINGWAY!" Joyce isn't taking anyone on "easily" m8.

What? Why are you so triggered from a wonderful and relevant quote from Joyce's Ulysses about Shakespeare, on Veeky Forums of all places? Or are you such a plen you didn't know that's from Ulysses?

what?

pretty sure shakespeare was italian but i forget why i think that.

>5'10"
>not a manlet

Shakespeare. Especially when considering that the best thing Joyce ever wrote (the Scylla and Charbydis chapter of Ulysses) was just Stephen Dedalus talking about Shakespeare.

lol ur dumb dood

>shakespeare
>better "prose stylist"
look you don't know what that phrase means

Whoever wins, we lose.

This isn't even a competition lmao Joyce sucks

*deal with him hemingway!

underrated

Shakespeare has profound insights and that's an understatement, but Joyce DEFINITELY does not just play word games. There is no book that will change your everyday thought process like Ulysses, except maybe Plato's complete works.

>O God I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space were it not that I have bad dreams

>All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages... (see the rest, AYLI 2.7.138-165)

>Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, And then is heard no more. It is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. (Mac 5.5.23-7)

To be or not to be speech - Hamlet
Hamlet recalling Yorick, the days of yore
Rosalind and Celia's back and forth on nature and fortune in As You Like It
Petrucio taming Katherine
The entirety of Lear
The sonnets

And these are the ones off the top of my head. Read Shakespeare, user.

Shakespeare. The Irish have never beaten the English at anything.

Based Cromwell.

What? Shakespeare's plays have lots of prose in them

over 95% of his beauty is in blank verse or iambic pentameter though.

Anybody who doesn't say Shakespeare is either dumb or being a contrarian.

Joyce
Anyone saying Shakespeare is just afraid of being called a contrarian
If you don't realize this is because you are seeing just the tip of the icebearg that Ulysses is
This doesnt mean Shakespeare isn't the GOAT, but Joyce just went way too deep

How does it feel being a pleb?

>no book that will change your everyday thought process
>forgot about Robert Anton Wilson

This must be kind of embarrassing for you.

Joyce, because he already included all of Shakespeare's best lines in his own works so it's like you get a two-for-one deal.

Trick question. Joyce is the answer since Shakespeare didn't write his plays.

The Irish have better satirists, but that's probably because the Irish are constantly butthurt

This

good post

Cervantes

>Joyce just plays word-games.

Read the Dead and get back to me fuccboi

Well, consider this. Joyce should feel pretty good that anyone would even consider him as a contender to Shakespeare. No one would word it the other way around, though. Shakespeare wins.

Nevertheless, the very fact that Joyce IS being considered a contender in this way should put to rest the idea that he was just le wacky wordplay man.

>Joyce just plays word-games.
The plebbiest statement ever made on this board.

you're essentially just appealing to popular opinion here, bud. think for yourself, my main man. you're confusing "what a majority of people think" with "what is true"

August Strindberg