Book store thread

Book store thread.

What's your perfect bookstore?
Anyone here work at one? What are the perks? How was it getting the job there? (Genuinely curious as I'm looking at potential bookstores in my area that I'm wanting to apply to).

Favorite things about a bookstore? Least favorite?

Libraries are OK too.

Anyone from Bradford, UK here? I remember seeing a Waterstone's there that I think was based inside an old synagogue and it has a coffee shop on its second floor. Always thought that was a gorgeous place for a book shop.

Pic related. It's gorgeous.

not seen that one but honestly one of my favourite things about waterstones is how polite everyone usually is and how enthusiastic they tend to be when you pick up a couple of great books. i also appreciate the little recommendations written by staff members, even if they are for books i don't like or care about.

it gives me a little ego boost that I love whenever i visit, picking up a large pile of books, and get complimented because there's knausgaard, homer, virginia woolf and yukio mishima all in the same pile. one worker even called my purchases eclectic. i know it sounds stupid and i know it's egotistical, but that sort of ego massaging is pleasant and shows good customer relations. it also makes sure that i keep coming back to the exact same branch time and time again (which i do ofc).

That's totally worth the 2000% markup over buying your books online/secondhand.

not all fedora-pseud creeping out the emo girls reading HPL; likely you'll be hauling boxes and crates in a warehouse, or doing database entry stuff non-stop. Dealing with asshole customers is only part of the fun.

plus side, discount on books, down side, no time or energy to read them.

another plus: banging qt colleagues.

> not being able to afford it
> not going outside to interact with human beings

But it's all fine because the more piss jars you collect the longer you can spend online.

My favourite bookshop has always been Foyles, the flagship store at Charing Cross. The staff aren't as warm as other smaller bookshops in London but it's been a magical place for me ever since I was a child because there are so many books, I can spend hours there.

A major draw is the late opening hours - it closes at 9pm on weekdays. I often go to Foyles after work, to the cafe on the top floor, and sit there reading with a coffee until it closes.

>That's totally worth the 2000% markup over buying your books online/secondhand.
Different user, but I agree with them. I would rather pay a few £s extra in Foyles than order it on Amazon. Talking to the staff about the books, and having a gorgeous bookshop to browse, is COMPLETELY worth the higher price. Buying books online is rubbish in comparison. Second hand bookshops are ok but if I want a specific book they will often let me down, whereas Foyles will prder/import whatever I want.

Very nice

New Foyles is shit though. Feels so big and impersonal.

Personal favourite is Skoob. Judd is cool too.

I mostly prefer the new layout, except the bottlenecks around the staircase. The old cafe was better too. New one isn't cosy.

Despite all the changes it's still ahead of the rest for me.

That sounds lovely, user. I sort of wish to be a regular customer at a book shop/coffee shop enough that after a while they know exactly what kind of coffee I want.

Indeed. The only negative with Foyles is that, as the other user mentioned (and doubtless other Londoners will too), it's so big and often busy that it's harder to form those relationships with the staff. Not so bad with the staff on the book floors because many of them have been around for years and you can get to know them, but the cafe seems to have high turnover of staff so it's more impersonal.

>that post

>this response

Veeky Forums is officially /r/books. shut it down.

Least favourite thing about book shops is when people are just sitting in those chairs on their phones or with food from outside. I want to sit down and flick through a book but I need to watch this cunt texting on Facebook

Strand books new york is incredible.

this is actually beautiful, whereabouts is this in bradford?

I'm from Newcastle but why does every other Waterstones look nicer compared to ours?

because newcastle is a shithole, sorry user

For any of you niggas that might be in Munich before 2018, this antique bookstore is closing down at the end of the year. Its called "Shakespeare and Co". Some good shit, close to the Marinplatz.

btw the coffee shop is starbucks :^)

sounds lovely user

Yes, I went there when I was on holiday in NYC

There's also a great Shakespeare and Company bookshop in Paris next to the Seine

not as good as it used to be since the old man died.

itt: user who lived in Paris in the 90s and returned regularly.

Are you from munich? I would like to meet Veeky Forums people, but most of them come from different places. If ya wanna we could have a chat.

Ah that's a shame. Last time I went there was 6 or 7 years ago

his daughter runs it now, nice girl, but it ain't the same. still there, still going, but somehow a bit different.

Very much true, I've come to accept that.

If I owned a bookshop I'd pretty much just not allow phones or texting.

Bump

Not as COZY as Three Lives

I have literally not bought a single book new in the last 5 years.

Fancy seeing this thread again. Makes me feel comfy though so I'll give it a bump.

Wow, maybe anons have hopes and dreams that don't exactly mirror your own? It's crazy I know

Books in my country
>1.5 times as expensive as they are across the border
>shipping from across the border is both cheaper and quicker than from local online vendors
Bookstores
>multiple stories of mostly lifestyle and YA
>sections for specific topics like gardening, music, economics and so on
>a couple of shelves of classical literature and a shelf of philosophy are the only place in the entire bookstore where there are books older than the second half of the 20th century

Moving to Boston soon, looking for some ultra-comfy bookstores/libraries in the area. Any recommendations?

My favourite book shop would basically be black books

What the fuck is wrong with my post

A run-on sentence, plus not putting a coma before the addressee.

Classy.

Anyone know any good book stores in Austin? Moving there for college

sometimes contrarians try to ruin the fun, don't worry about it my dude

Daaaaamnn.... I live in Yorkshire, maybe I should go out of my way to find this place.

>Wow, maybe anons have hopes and dreams that don't exactly mirror your own?

kek did you even read those stupid bougie posts?

>Talking to the staff about the books, and having a gorgeous bookshop to browse, is COMPLETELY worth the higher price.
"hopes and dreams"? reddit pls go.