Faulkner General

Can we have a thread for this based individual? The man who made me Veeky Forums.

For me, it's If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem.

What made me Veeky Forums was reading Evola and Moldburg. Turned me conservative, and I see a lot of problems with current multicultural society.
But in relation to Faulkner, I do admire Southern men of that era

I'm a Southerner, so he tends to be one of if not the first titans of Veeky Forums that we're exposed to.

I get the feeling if he were alive today, he'd be in support of Trump

I've read The Sound and the Fury and I'm about to finish As I Lay Dying. I like the latter more, to be honest. What's next?

Light in August

>when you haven't told everyone you're a conservative reactionary in 5 minutes
Is it the new veganism

The Bear by Faulkner might actually be my favorite book of all. I don't really like the rest of his books. Light in August is great too.

Let's be honest, it has been a mistake to have the races living together and giving women the vote. Their is simply no equality, and that is reflected in my beliefs, because I deal with facts instead of feelings.

Imagine if Faulkner had written in our day and age, he would've gone absolutely crazy about SJWs and liberalism how their destroying the world

I doubt Faulkner would have ever written topical garbage for mass politics. His literature has a very nuanced and rightly southern appreciation of race. Yes in his literature he highlights the inherent tension between races but there is nothing in any of the books that I've read to lead me to believe that he would care about "sjw" types or their opposites. You are the same as the ones you hate, the product of senseless media worship and vanity that would make Faulkner want to wretch. He cared about the human soul. Politics are only interesting to people who feel unequal to the much more difficult and complex questions of human nature and destiny.

>deal with facts and not feelings
Because you're an autistic loser who can't deal with feelings.

Name one time a fact has ever mattered

how is the unvanquished? It's on my bookshelf should I read it?

fite me irl bitch

The Sound and the Fury was my first exposure to him, then the gentle Light in August.

What on earth gives you that idea?

>Imagine if Faulkner had written in our day and age, he would've gone absolutely crazy about SJWs and liberalism how their destroying the world
No, see Also,
>their
Fucking brainlets, you have to go back (to /pol/).

are you
fucking
kidding me

You think the man who conceived and voiced the tragedy of the Sutpens, the man who expressed the great fear and resentment of the Wash Jones' of the world, the only man to gaze and see the soul of the armageddon that was his Southern home would in any way sympathize with a man who lives completely out of and in rejection to the time his time, who refuses the past to capitalize on the nostalgia and fear of people who want to remember it differently, who cannot imagine a world that doesn't literally revolve around his sexual prowess -- in short the closest thing that fact has created to Sutpen, the harbinger of southern doom since the fucking reconstruction?

You are an idiot, or so painfully clouded by your political beliefs that you have no idea how to read. I'm not even a fucking liberal but God you're dumb.

OP sorry for getting dragged into obvious /pol/ territory

Good on you for starting a thread about literature on Veeky Forums. If you have any questions, I've studied and taught his books for years and would love to weigh in

He's Salinger-tier. Okay, but not acceptable to mention in even the same stratosphere as Faulkner.

how are you all getting baited this easy

Quality post. I honestly would support a southern separatist movement and believe we are an occupied nation but I detest the alt-right and people who espouse euro-trash politics.

Do you think The Unvanquished is worth reading? I'm in between books after bailing on The Divine Comedy (why read it in translation when I can read the superior Blake in my own language) and it's on my shelf so I was wondering if it's worth the time.

>hemingway is salinger-tier
now you've done it buddy

Unvanquished is pretty good.

I'm working through the Divine Comedy right now too. I'm almost done with Purgatorio. It's been pretty tough going but I've got a good annotated copy.

I rarely suggest it to people that don't already love Faulkner, and by that time, you already know you wanna read it. Generally, I'd tell people :

As I Lay Dying or Light in August --> Sound and the Fury ( --> Go Down, Moses, or at least, The Bear, and other selected stories, like A Rose for Emily) --> Absalom, Absalom!

Those are undoubtedly the masterpieces, what I'd say the necessities, but fill in as you please.

The Hamlet, The Rievers, and The Unvanquished would be a good place to look next. I can give more reasoning on choice and order, if you'd like.

Faulkner was a vicious humanistic optimist. He would've picked anyone over any representatives of the modern progressive left

He would've browsed /pol/ and would probably have been advocating for genocide of semites

>unequal to the much more difficult and complex questions of human nature and destiny.
No I know your type, fuck you. Their ain't shit wrong with being passionate about right governance, you undoubtedly convictionless 18year old

Bet he's not even taken the redpill of white supremacy

I do not lack convictions, mine are just not suited to the mindset of a swarm. Politics are plebeian.

When Walker Percey was young, he and a friend drove to Oxford to talk to Faulkner. When they arrived, Percey was so awestruck by the mythos of Faulkner he couldn't bring himself to get out of the car. Instead, he had to watch his friend have an hour long conversation with Faulkner on the porch of Rowan Oak. Percey would later to on to become a lesser known yet still important southern writer and he's most noted for helping publish A Confederacy of Dunces. What I'm saying is that Faulkner was a living legend and a god amongst men. He, like Joyce or Freud, influenced the modern canon to such a degree nearly any writer's influences can be traced back to him.

>t. fat retard

Projecting won't help you solve your weight problem

>no love for If I Forget Thee, Jerusalem itt

Salinger-tier isn't bad at all. Salinger is great.

What book of his should I start with?

>I see a lot of problems with current multicultural society
>But in relation to Faulkner, I do admire Southern men of that era
What Faulkner have you read? Just curious because race is such a central theme in so many of his novels (Light In August, Absalom, Absalom!, Go Down Moses, etc.)

t. actual idiots
How on earth could you possibly get the impression that Faulkner would have been politically conservative by reading his books?

As I Lay Dying

Can you give me a light primer on Faulkner? Suppose I am starting with As I Lay Dying. What should I look out for, why should i be reading it, is there any background knowledge I need to have, pertaining to his life?

AILD is assigned to high schoolers very frequently so it's not anything requiring too much foreknowledge. Just keep in mind he was a terrible alcoholic, his work is clearly influenced by Freud, and he's obsessed with southern class structure. But don't fall for the meme that his work is all about southern class and race. Additionally, his prose changes as he grows older due to him working in the movie industry and the pressures of writing. AILD, The Sound and the Fury, Absolm! Absolm!, and A Light in August are his core works. Also, lots of biblical allusions throughout his work but don't worry about those just focus on the texts themselves.

>falling for all this ironic(?) /leftypol/(?) '''trolling'''