Why are there so many religious people on this board? I'm not talking "spiritual" people, i can understand that...

why are there so many religious people on this board? I'm not talking "spiritual" people, i can understand that, but i mean those literal "word of god" types. I assume it's because Veeky Forums makes a nice refuge for dejected people of all kinds and those sorts of ideas are comforting to disenfranchised groups, but at the same time this is a board for "learned", discriminating types who you'd think would would have less tolerance for that kind of hypocrisy...
does this board just attract elitist pseuds of all sorts?
i bet reddit doesnt have this problem.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Word
bibliotecapleyades.net/biblianazar/esp_biblianazar_7.htm
tektonics.org/af/bushby01.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Right? Haha stupid religious people, I agree we should go to reddit where our fellow atheists are enlightened by their own intelligence and not by some phony god's blessing

Paragraphs start with capital letters. 'I' should always be capitalised.

I think the religion is mostly just people taking the piss, but there is something to be said for the antidepressant quality of rejecting a wholey material worldview.

Why does this bother you?

I'd love to stick to /a/ exclusively, but unfortunately the redditmods don't allow the sort of discussion I want. Veeky Forums doesn't either but it's a smaller board so I don't get banned as often.
Fuck off you Peterson-sucking fuckfuck.

like i said, im not opposed to spirituality, and im all for educated discrimination (why i never visit reddit) but you'd literally have to be a retarded degenerate with no grasp of world history to fall into these traps. And then they try to intellectualize it, which pains me.

it just makes me sad is all.
it makes the board just a bit less appealing to me to know that some of the audience has terrible taste and judgment.

You wanna know how to lose all credibility on Veeky Forums?
>i bet reddit doesnt have this problem
And anyway, religion is one of, if not the, most important influences and themes in most classic books. Exploring religious themes is a billion times more interesting than science. Atheists can fuck off.

Because atheism is the religion for people who want to pretend to be smart and above it all. Serious religion is for patricians only.

I'm a devout Catholic who's been on Veeky Forums for almost 10 years now. Back in the day I didn't talk about my religion simply because it never got brought up. Back in the day Veeky Forums just didn't talk about religion much at all, at least not on the boards I frequented.

Veeky Forums has gotten more interested in religion. Some of this is /pol/'s doing, some of this is Veeky Forums's doing, and it kicked up visibly with the creation of Veeky Forums. Obviously with a more general interest in religious things, it's going to bring the Anons who are actively religious more into the forefront, where they weren't before.

if youre of the opinion that being a subscribed christian is superior to someone who simply doesn't blindly hate on reddit and atheists, i really could not care less what you think. group-think at it's worst. Like i said, i can handle religious people but these overly-literal catholics/mormons are a cancer.

You should probably learn more about religion. I can tell you have only a shitty downie layman's understanding because you think "spiritual people" and "word of god types" is a useful dichotomy and not incredibly reductive. You don't seem particularly discriminating yourself, it seems more like adopted, casual, unlearned bigotry, which seems odd that you then go on to whine about elitism. I thought you were just praising elitism?

In any case, you're certainly not familiar enough with the topic for your opinion to be worth anything. You seem rather like someone butting into a conversation between several people who disagree, but understand each other, and embarrassing everyone involved by shitting on one of the parties because of something you heard on tv.

Religion is not based off "taste and judgment" the way you seem to believe it is. It is based off belief and faith. Live life outside of the internet and you will realize that people believe things in earnest and not in the manner of LARPers calling themselves communists or kekistanis or what have you. True belief is formed from true belief and not an aesthetic or cultural judgment.

most religions are essentially composed of mis-translated political propaganda from the dark ages.

>le you have to be so ignorant and stupid to believe in God xD
Just kys famalam. (not literally)

>why are there so many religious people on this board?
as you said Veeky Forums is a refuge for societal outcasts as it always was
today those are religious people, if you came here years ago this was much more atheist friendly place, just like the internet in general because once upon a time religious people used to be the retards

WAAAH HOW DARE PEOPLE TAKE ANYTHING SERIOUSLY. ALL I CARE ABOUT IS MEMES. LE FUNNY MEMES! IM SO FUCKING IRONIC LOL XDDD I HAVE DEPRESSION XDD
Eat shit.

it's a practical reduction. As soon as anyone takes a holy book literally, i automatically discard their opinion.
And i happen to know a lot of about religion.
I studied buddhism and attended both catholic and jesuit schools growing up.
All the priests were clearly gay dudes btw.

just because people are religious doesnt mean they will tone down the shit posting
they just adapt to trigger non believers

>history
Fuck off, eat shit, Shitty Systematizer.
You are the only one trapped within group-think.

You know nothing about religion, heathen.

lol how so?
it seems to me youre walking into a sort of paradox yourself, buddy.
i know you-types have difficulty with that.

Oh great here comes systemsfag Mrs. "I can disregard history for whatever reasons I want to, fake news!" Thread ruiner. Why don't you make a cool system of a noose and your neck and see where the potential energy of jumping off a tree lands you?

/thread

I want OP to be happy, but this was a great reply.

>I'm a devout Catholic who's been on Veeky Forums for almost 10 years now
>devout

It really just sounds like you don't want to bother debating anybody you disagree with so you pull this type of bullshit

no it wasn't?
clearly you're playing a side.
I never mentioned anything about depression or memes.
I would like to approach religion from an intellectual and historical perspective is all.

Why is group think bad if it's genuinely a good ideology or religion? I base all my idealogies off other people.

>paradoxes are bad
Fuck off, dualist.
Why are you so upset? History is nonexistent. You're trapped within bad thought.

no but it's actually true.
I swear to God (lol).

But it seems that you are looking down on the sentimental and believing because you're an ironic cynic.

>"I can disregard history for whatever reasons I want to, fake news!"
is that why you choose to ignore the fact you wouldnt be posting this bullshit if it werent for Jesus dying for your sins?

i didn't say they're bad... i just said they exist. religious types tend to deny them.

>I would like to approach religion from an intellectual and historical perspective
Cool, you scan start by not making blanket statements about the intellectual states of religious people. What would you like to discuss?

I am not OP, this guy was shitting up another tread I was in

No. You can't sin knowing you're doing something wrong. That's a sin in itself, and a bad one.

>intellectual
>historical
You're a systematizer. You reduce religion to psychobabble platitudes. You get severely triggered whenever somebody decides to take something as life-dominating as religion sincerely, rather than taking it at some dirty academic level. You sicken me. Why does it matter if you did not mention depression or memes? We all know your type, the type that hates passion and sincerity. The type that hates to involve them intimately with anything, and instead falls for the ancient meme of 'distant objectivity'. Eat shit, distance yourself from it as much as you want, but it will never be anything but shit.

>I would like to approach religion from an intellectual and historical perspective is all.
you have centuries of literature to read and get yourself educated with. maybe youll get through enough so by the time youre on death bed maybe you repent your heathen ways

To be fair, I am more devout these days than I was when I originally came to Veeky Forums. Veeky Forums had a hand in that, by the way.

I don't think of it as cynical. I see it as essential honesty. I'd tell any addict that they have a problem.

What do you mean "literally" user? If you mean the idea of taking the entirety of the Bible, without regard for context, as literal in instruction and depiction, as in Biblical literalism, you'll find its a relatively recent phenomena, and not endorsed by Catholic Biblical study. If you mean literal as in having any belief based off of the holy book at all, I'd have to say your assumption is a frail attempt at mocking incredulity. I'm not in passive, uncritical awe of the Bible or anything, but as a nonbeliever I don't disrespect people who consider it a holy book.

How did you "study" Buddhism? Self-study? Uni? Watching videos from Alan Watts online?

And religious education at most Catholic schools is shit. Lots of people educated in such schools from Catholic families know almost nothing about their own religion. Not implying I look down on them for it, they just didn't get a very good education in their own faith.

I take back what I said about you shitting up threads, sorry. This was a first rate post.

holy shit it's worse than i thought

>devout Catholic
*tips cross* *throws holy water* Have at you!

this just seems incredibly stupid to me... the more you learn about history the harder it is to believe tb h

Fair enough, you'd do better leaving this site behind though.

>the more you learn about history the harder it is to believe tb h
you learn there was indeed a noah tier flood
you learn sodom and gomorrah actually got rekt
then theres the entirety of jewish history...

well see, i actually think the jews had it figured out to some extent.
Christians have too close of a relationship with God in Christ imo

Yes, iconoclasm ruins bad threads. Why would I stop doing what I must do?
You think you are honest, but you are not. You are insincere. You think everybody else has the problem. You hate any sort of non-popular thought. How dare somebody dedicate themselves to something sincerely that does not directly benefit them? The fools!
You types take the better and make it seem worse, and the worse and make it seem better.
You do not understand religion because you've been made a sore-old jade. You could study religion for countless lifetimes and never understand it. You and so many other disgusting intellectuals are nothing more than a poor image of Faust in his study.
It isn't even a matter of 'needing an axiom', it is in no way to simple. This isn't a choice, there is popular contrarianism ('nu-atheism') and there is actual contrarianism. The position that one is stuck with but would never live without. It isn't a matter of 'intellectual merit', or what 'makes sense'. Christianity does not make sense, it cannot make sense. Haven't you heard? God is dead.

Nah, I can't even begin to imagine posting anywhere else any more. Going to some fucking forum, where I have to register and have an account, and a fucking avatar? Fuck that. I can say what I want here, whether I mean it or not. And everything here is more interesting and compelling than anything I might find anywhere else on the internet, precisely because no one is tethered to their previous statements here. I feel a compulsion to be here, and I think here is where I belong.

are you a real catholic or a vatican 2 cuck?

Nah. There are some nice practical ideas in there, dont get me wrong, but if you you think Jesus wasn't just a symbol cooked up by disenfranchised jews in name of societal reform, you're fucking up.

remove sede memelords

i presume you also dont believe homer and shakespeare existed

must be a sad life youre living

sede are just protestants giving themselves fancy names
im not talking about that,
im asking whether you desecrate christ's sacrifice by attending fake novus ordo masses

We would all benefit from that, in all honesty.

i didn't say jesus wasn't real, he may very well have been, but more likely just a clever bastard jew-son-of-a-cuck/roman soldier with big ideas and a twin he used to trick people into thinking he lived.

A real Catholic is not some DEUS VULT1!!!! turd that directly rejects Church tradition for the sake of preserving some meme-tradition. You types made me apostatize. Worse, you made me resent ever converting!
No, you're fucking up. You are terrified of having any concrete beliefs. You're a coward, who would rather 'stay hip' by fence-sitting.
You people always do this, reduce such important things to Marxist nonsense. O! Yes! Great Intellectual! It is Clear that the Greeks! The Geniuses that They were! Did not actually believe those silly Myths! They were all mere Allegory! Ah! Yes! Truths They cou'd not express without Fiction!
Eat shit.

>but if you you think Jesus wasn't just a symbol cooked up by disenfranchised jews in name of societal reform, you're fucking up
lmao, user smokes some bowls and lets his brain tick away for a few hours. this is what he comes up with.

bravo

the history speaks for itself.
study the fall of the roman empire or something.

dont call yourself catholic modernist memelord
your filthy kind ruined the church with your heretical bible translations and meme masses

OP please respond

I was more into it than you, fucker. I was a constant attender of a sede church.
Yes, sedes ruined the Church. That's why I left.
He's just smoking a bowl, don't worry.

lol so youre left one protestant faggotry to join another
if you told me you have complexes from living in a pseudocatholic coven for years id have left you alone because clearly talk with such people is fruitless

just dont ever again use the word tradition, ok?

and no, the sedes didnt ruined church, liberal reforms did, sedes are just a bunch of random retards taht couldnt deal with it

I'm not protestant now.
>ITS THE LIBRULS
Eat shit.

ok
literally as in not recognizing that the book, originally designed as a spirito-political manifesto, is mostly comprised of tall tales most of which received numerous, revisions throughout history.
And, sure it's a holy book, but mostly just because of its historical importance.

this trifling conflict is not good for either of you twos souls ok

i kinda hoped this post would trigger somebody.

IT WAS JUST ALLEGORY LOL NOTHING IS SERIOUS! I LOVE MEMES! ITS ALL JUST STUPID STORIES LOL WHO COULD BELIEVE THAT!

I'm okay with this.

spirituality is the plebest type of religion OP, at least normal religions have a tradition and not platitudes pulled up from paulo coelho's ass

christians have too strong a loving nature to get mad at internet shit posts

yet another liberal """catholic"""
being a catholic is not compatible with mdoern age,
fell free to delude yourself

youre a living meme, considering that you blame a small cult nobody takes seriously on earth, that doesnt even comprise 1% of catholics some threat
your entire religion and beliefs are based on rebellion towards something that damaged you in your youth
just like an ex jehovah witness who shits on religion because he used to live in a cult and thats his way of solving his mental issues

i pity you

well that's not exactly what i meant by spirituality but i'd take a book of platitudes over a book of archaic traditions any day

I'm not a sede anymore. Don't you know what apostasy is?

did you even read what i said?

I tried to. You're fucking incoherent.

progressivism is a cancerous outgrowth of christianity, the toxic potential was already there from the beginning

catholicism was able to resist for a while thanks to all the paganism that was absorbed into their traditions, but it ended up following the same path as the rest of cristianity

reminder that jesus's real dad was a roman soldier named pantherus and that joseph was a cuck in denial who overly indoctrinated his son to the point where his ego grew out of control launching a religious career that posed a threat to his community

i shouldnt have expected a brazillian to understand english properly

wow im so enlightened now...
I'm not Brazilian.

youre not literate either

basically im advocating for old jewish wisdom.
God isn't your friend bud.

im just glad that all those modern "christians" will be atheists/spiritualists/die off in a generation or two
projections are that by 2050 there will be more traditionalist catholic priests than fake ones

>progressivism is a cancerous outgrowth of christianity
this, holy fuck

Why would I care what Jews think?

>literally as in not recognizing that the book, originally designed as a spirito-political manifesto
Dummo. It's a compilation of many books. The idea of any of it being a "political manifesto" is pretty revisionist, looking at it through incredibly reductive modern lenses. You're not going to get an informative reading if you come to it with preconceived, highly inaccurate ideas about what it is.

Also this revisions throughout history stuff is dumb. We pretty much know what the original manuscripts of all the books of the New Testament were like - there weren't that many "revisions" over the last 2,000 years. Medieval scholars did a pretty good job of translating, and even when they had their own biases there were plenty of others translating to counterbalance that anyway.

if you believe in christianity you essentially are a jew, just a dumb one caught up in an effective political campaign from 20 centuries ago

youre so wrong i wont even bother.
look it up retard.

>i bet reddit doesnt have this problem.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Word

Remember to take your information from all sides

Give me some hints and trails to follow unless you want me to reinforce my own views because I've spent my time reading about this shit.

I feel like your suggestion to "look it up" indicates not that you've read any actual literature on the subject but instead intuitively feel that you're right, and that if I fail to come to your conclusion I'm just too much of a dummy to connect the dots that you have. Very arrogant.

ITS JUST POLITICS LOL! ITS ALL ECONOMIC!
Fuck off

bibliotecapleyades.net/biblianazar/esp_biblianazar_7.htm
too many to name, but you could start here.
Basically what history is, so yes.

is anyone actually retarded enough to believe in a virgin-birth?

You literally said it yourself faggot, go to reddit.

yeah lol thats stupid fucking bullshit lol HE WAS LE KEK LOL
Fucking frogposter.

>excerpts from The Bible Fraud The Pacific Blue Group Inc.
damn. looks like you ignored the crucial advice to ignore all pseudo-intellectual rhetoricians. I suggest reading some real biblical criticism instead of this polemic shit.
start with the karl erhman.

History is not existent.

tektonics.org/af/bushby01.php

>pseudo-intellectual rhetoricians
we're talking about God here you moron. It comes with the territory on every side.
lol