Read expected got:

let's have some laughs

>"what i got" 9gag reaction images
>viewing books through the prism of memes

kys.

the Gutenberg mind truly ended with the millennials

Watch out. There's a pseud on the loose.

oc coming through.
I actually loved this book. It was like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett minus (for the most part) the sience fiction elements.

>the Gutenberg mind truly ended with the millennials

there was a media science panel discussion at my uni last week and one of the professors kept insisting that the introduction of social media and use of smart phones from infancy finally replaced the gutenberg galaxy with global village and that, basically, millenials are now too retarded to comprehend lectures and need a constant school-like environment of seminars to function.

I wonder if STEM and generally BoS are experiencing similar problems...

>Gutenberg mind

The definition of the Gutenberg mind is exactly the opposite of your use. It's a mind ruined by mass media/social media consumption etc. So if it ended with millennials, you are implying that millennials no longer have this problem...

I think the Bell curve is just panning to the right more and more. The smart stay smart by pure cognitive ability, and the merely average actually become dumber.

hearts of darkness was a great documentary.

troll

How so? From all I had ever heard about it prior to actually reading it myself gave me the impression that it was going to be over-hyped by psueds. While the final image may be a bit hyperbolic I still enjoyed the book immensely and saw many parts that actually had real depth to them.

>real depth to them.
lewl

everyone becomes dumberer

its a fun book. one of my first favorites.

What was so weird?

Switch the What I Got with the What I Expected and this would be spot on. Also needs a picture of a child's used chuck e. cheese menu maze

>wah it's the mellinials!!!!

It's the technology. If you introduced the same tech of today a hundred years ago there'd still be the lazy kids who don't care about anything

Template?

je

dedicate your OC to me

kek

ok this looks interesting. Is the writing good? i.e. not quppiy fedora garbage that riddles scifi?

I still see the main character as the Swans tshirt beard dude.

I don't know this Guy but I recently read some Adorno and this was essentially my reaction minus the positive connotations about communism.

>I don't know this Guy

He he, you sneaky bastard.

Which Adorno book did you read though? I'll attempt The Culture Industry this summer but Dialects was a pisstake to get through

Wat?

I've read a few chunks of the culture industry for Uni this semester. My course readings were essentially a mishmash of Frankfurt school and I plan to do some follow-up reading on the ones I liked during summer break.
Marshall McLuhan is full of shit but very entertaining to read, I'd recommend at least checking him out. Nobody knows him nowadays but he used to be quite popular and you can find lots of references in 70s movies and literature like

Sequel

It's pretty good but kinda falls apart at the end. Never quippy Fedora though.

Why is that cat missing from the second picture?

The cat is right there in the broom

All this kind of thing

he ate the book

it was a delicious but cold treat.

Should be the same exact cat as the one on the left!

top kek

That coover looks nice. Mine is a dusty image of a door knob if i rememvber correctly.

topkek

>this doesn't get attacked
Veeky Forums is dead

Why did you read it iif you thought it was going to suck?

the movie was fucking trash

How much of a cynical asshole do you have to be to read the Bible like this?

this is the worst one I have seen yet and there are a lot of shitty ones in this thread already.
You should feel bad if this is OC

That's kinda stupid.

It is OC

wtf is that?

How is that? I've always wanted to read it.

other way around

Fresh OC

Wrong pic

That's Devendra Banhart.

>Never quippy Fedora though.
I suggest stopping after the third book if you want to retain this impression. Hell, maybe even the first. Miller literally wears a fedora for 90% of his time in the book, by the way.

kek

War really is 99% logistics and 1% fighting. Grunts are the stupidest.

>cynical

How is it cynical when you can see my first consideration was that a vast majority of the world is predamned? Now you want cynical, try Calvinism on for size.

nigga thats too deep

I recommend getting a mariner's dictionary. It has helped me a lot. Found one at a thrift store for $1.

Wrong.

Exactly my reaction when I read it in my mid-teens. I just thought it was going to be a simple polemic about consumer culture and it went way over my head. I went back and read it recently having read a lot of Marx/Marxist thought and had a far simpler time with it. Debord is good. Debordians are trash.

I saw this before I read the book, every time I read the word "corn" I laughed

nice

I actually kek'd

>McLuhan full of shit
>reading the Frankfurt school
lmfao you have brain damage

Herodotus just sounds like it'd be batshit fun. I hear he believed that flying snakes were a thing.

It is a LOT of fun. In fact I had to put the book down several times in laughter (in a good way). And yeah what you heard is correct about the 'flying snakes'. He even claims that he traveled and saw first-hand their carcasses piled on the ground. I think the general opinion among scholars is that Herodotus' "flying snakes" where actually locusts. They do make a kind of hissing noise in swarms, don't they?

The most hilarious story was of Hippocleides imo.

The series is well worth reading. There is alot of navel jargon but after I finished the first two novels I bought the box set and read the entire series.

Tell me no more, my man. I intend to read his Histories before 2017 is over, been exciting to dive into it for a while.