What country has the best literature?

In this thread we will select a "team" of writers to represent each country, compare and contrast to see who the greatest are.

Team Russia

>Tolstoy
>Dostoevsky
>Gogol
>Chekhov
>Bulgakov

england, followed by france, then by germany

>hack
>hack
>decent
>hack
>hack
'the best'

please I would love to hear why Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, and Bulgakov are hacks and why Gogol isn't?

Since "Germany" as it existed has only existed for about 25 years, let's say "Team German Speaking".
>Goethe
>Mann
>Kafka
>Hesse
>Schiller
If we include philosophers I bet team Germany blows everyone out of the water desu

Bolivia:
Humberto Palza Soliz,
Raul Salmon de Barra,
Manfredo Kmpeff Mercado,

I would add Kleist, argueably one of the best stylists ever but otherwise I'd have picked the same list

Team Spain

>Miguel de Cervantes
>Benito Pérez Galdós
>Miguel de Unamuno
>Francisco de Quevedo
>Lope de Vega
>Fernando de Rojas
>Federico García Lorca
>Calderón de la Barca
>Ramón María del Valle-Inclán

Team Ancient Greeks
>Homer
>Plato
>Aristotle
>Sophocles
>Euripides
>Aeschylus
>Aristophanes
>Herodotus

Team USA

>Herman Melville
>Thomas Pynchon
>David Foster Wallace
>James Joyce
>Toni Morrison

Team Brazil
>Machado
>Guimaraes Rosa
>Clarice Lispector
>Euclides da Cunha
Kafka wasn't German. Put Novalis there.
This, Pushkin's great.

yall missed Zweig

>James Joyce
>USA

for real?

We have so many greats I can't choose, so ill just post our flag and let you feel inferior to our nations great writing skills

>No Hemingway
Stephen King is Cervantes when compared to David Foster Wallace.

The other James Joyce

Best author you ever had was gay

Top Tier
>Ancient Greece (embodies civilisation as we know it)
>England (amazing texts/writers from nearly every movement in history and nearly every genre, many GOATs in their field)
>Russia (literature as a national identity, powerful and awe-inspiring works)

Great Tier
>Germany (similar to England in that every facet of literature/humanities is represented, but not quite so many influential works)
>France (embodied and created many stylistic movements, great literature)
>China (great and long history of poetry, religion, philosophy)

Very Good Tier
>Spain
>Argentina
>USA
>Ireland
>Japan

Worthwhile Tier
>India
>Italy
>Brazil
>"Arabia"

Just my thoughts, I'm probably wrong

Stop sucking Russian and Greek dick, they aren't all they're made up to be, name four englishmen you've actually read (Bonus: not Shakespeare and not a romantic poet), Italian literature is really good, Argentinian isn't, Jap lit is shit, Ireland has Joyce, Swift, Yeats and Beckett, all of them in humanity's top 50.

t. paddy o'hare

>Ireland has Joyce, Swift, Yeats and Beckett, all of them in humanity's top 50
I that case I don't want to be part of your """humanity""", please let me off this moronic ride.

What a horrible list. The USA should be combined with the rest of the baby anglosphere mostly to prevent its horrors from showing.

Germany, Russia, France, UK, USA, Romainia in that order.

It's Romania you illiterate fuck. Romanian literature is shit and the few works which are amazing are untranslatable.

>Yeats
>moronic

With pleasure. Do you prefer to know when you'll go, or would you rather it be a surprise?

Ireland, Argentina, France and USA

Well, I'd vote on Russia and Brazil, perhaps the UK too.

>posts confederate flag, which represents a nation that lasted 4 years and produced no worthwhile literature
>posts Toni Morrison as one of the best US authors while posting confederate flag
>posts every author of the meme trilogy despite one of them not being from the US

I'll give you points for making me respond, but you lose points for trying too hard.

American lit, specially post world war II, feels less like literature and more like one big, smug MFA circlejerk. Take infinite jest for example, nobody actually reads it or finds any artistic merit in it, it is an object that exists solely as a fetishised 'great american novel'.

France>Germany>USA=Britain>Russia>Italy=Spain>Sweden>Poland>Modern Greece>Mexico=Brazil

>sweden

what are the great works of swedish literature, beyond the Holy Quran, of course?

...fucking hell somebody actually posted the right order.

Lagerkvist is good.

The Emigrants, Doctor Glas, Miss Julie

* by Tranströmer, Women and Appletrees, A Dream Play

twilight is read and artistic merit is found in it, is it good then?

Team Argentina reporting in
>Jorge Luis Borges
>Julio Cortazar
>Roberto Arlt
>Jose Hernandez
>Macedonio Fernandez
>Manuel Puig
>Ernesto Sabato
>Adolfo Bioy Casares
>Leopoldo Marechal

Honorable mentions
>Cesar Aira
>Alberto Laiseca
>Manuel Mujica Lainez
>Ricardo Güiraldes
>Esteban Echeverria
>Leopoldo Lugones
>Alfonsina Storni
>Alejandra Pizarnik

some countries like the USA have some of my favorite writers but they have also a shit ton of writers who are completely garbage, we have very few and they're all god tier, kinda like Ireland, not that anyone here has read these because they're all fucking plebs in this board but i think this has to be considered

Seconding Doktor Glas; great work which deserves wider readership.

Kleist is next on my reading list. Looking forward to it

confirmed for having never read IJ. The book definitely has artistic merit, all the memes here shitting on it are just from assblasted faggots.

>Mexico
What are the great works and who are the great authors of Mexican literature?

Jaime Sabines, Carlos Fuentes, Juan Rulfo, Octavio Paz, Amado Nervo, Federico Gamboa.

What about the works?

The Labyrinth of Solitude, Pedro Paramo, The Death of Artemio Cruz, The Burning Plain, The Bachelor.

I don't even know why i wrote this since it seems like i'm just namedropping random names for appearing smart. Just read any of those books and you"ll see they are praiseworthy.

Finland unironically

Kilpi
Päätalo
Salama
Saarikoski
Linna
Tervo

USA literature is overrated

Russia has best literature, hands down. You cannot argue against this.

*leans in*
>GOGOL WAS UKRAINIAN!

Based Argentina.

>No Turgenev
>No Solzhenitsyn
>No Pushkin
>No Lermontov

Russia > France > Germany > UK > USA > Spain and Latin America

Veeky Forums didn't exist in the 19th century

It's not about the quality of the try outs, it's about the final team. USA, as in Olympic basketball, is completely stacked. Our starting five and eight subs are:
>Faulkner
>Hemingway
>Steinbeck
>Melville
>Pynchon
and
>O'Connor
>Williams
>Morrison
>Miller
>Whitman
>Dickinson
>Fitzgerald
>Elliot

The lack of Juan José Saer is sad.

relevant pic related publishing stats

Russia, France, the UK and Germany are all pretty damn good.

>QueBEBO instead of Góngora
Uh-oh no my dear

Further: Musil, Hoffmann, Benn, Hoelderlin, Rilke...
Include Classical Scholarship Germany hands down.

i.e. Team German speaking....

HIS BEST STORIES WERE WRITTEN WHILE HE WAS IN RUSSIA

In terms of prose writing Ireland dominates in the English language. Some writers that I didn't even think were Irish like Sterne and Iris Murdoch are. For poetry Yeats gives England a good run for her money but there are just more romantic poets to complete with

>Tervo

Should have just picked something like Viita, Sillanpää or Waltari at least :D

>Sweden>Poland
You gotta be shitting me, m8. So sad but you don't know the slightest whit about Polish literature.

Straya cunt
Fukken banjo patterson and the bush poets!

Gogol was technically Russian during his best stories dumbass, but if you insist...
>Tolstoy
>Dostoevsky
>Solzhenitsyn
>Gogol
>Bulgakov

My nigga

Team Poland
>Schulz
>Gombrowicz
>Prus
>Mickiewicz
>Norwid
>Conrad
>Miłosz
>Tyrmand
>Staff
>Leśmian
>Czechowicz
>Witkiewicz
>Twardoch

that's a list of people who wrote in german

Best literature

>Dutch
>Finland
>Latvia
>Ukraine
>Serbia
>Iceland
>Croatia
>Cambodia
>Vietnam
>Mongol
>Korea
>Indonesia
>Sri Lankan
>Bangladesh
>Nepal

I've seen Italy mentioned but there's no team:

>Dante Alighieri
>Italo Calvino
>Torquato Tasso
>Luigi Pirandello
>Umberto Eco
>Gabriele D'Annunzio
>Niccolò Machiavelli

Honorable mentions:
Manzoni, Svevo, Pasolini, Montale, Pascoli, Ungaretti, Leopardi, Saba, Carducci, Pavese, Verga, Goldoni, Ariosto...

There are many others. The least you can do is recognize that italy is right up there at the top with few other countries

Team Australia
>Banjo Paterson
>Henry Lawson
>Patrick White
>Paul Brickhill
>Les Murray

Our lit barely evolved past adolescence desu.

I'd love to shill for my country but there's no point really, because the Netherlands has some excellent poets but I wouldn't recommend reading translations.

Team Haiti
>Nwondo Mclele
>Catahari Pasterwooto
>Yindi Nem'shogo
>Dapand Yufti
>Sharak Totogoroto
>Turmandy L'Montosere
Honorable mentions:
Duvalo, Poftingi, Luftoso, M'Shoko

>Netherlands has some excellent poets but I wouldn't recommend reading translations.

And that's the problem with these kind of discussions. I can speak and read spanish, english and french but I'll never be able to read Gombrowicz, Tolstoy and Goethe on their mother tongue. I still like them but it's just not the same.

>Putting Whitman on the bench

Are you some kinna' idiot? Dude can drive it to the hole. He's fantastic around the rim. He's the team's best man to man defender.

Get Steinbeck and his weak shit out of my team.

Hemingway at Point Guard (can actually communicate in five words or less, unlike the rest of the starters).

Pynchon at Shooting Guard (one of the team's more consistent shooters, able to create a varied shot selection in terms of exploring different themes and stories while being overall fantastic at most styles he tackles).

Melville at Small Forward (Lockdown defender, probably the most cerebral player on the team, in his sailing days was probably built like a brick shithouse ala LeBron).

Faulkner at Power Forward (Limited on the court, he needs to do is rebound and hit meme threes all day, very limited in terms of style and content but fantastic percentage shooter).

Whitman at Center for all the above reasons.

Don Delillo and Ralph Ellison make my bench for sure. Delillo just looks the part of a stereotypical white PG ala John Stockton and you can't go wrong with a black guy. Question: Is Charles Bukowski Allen Iverson?

all he needs to do*

Fuck off Russian literature is tiers above everything else. Americans can't compete.

Ok. Joyce, Swift, Yeats and Beckett. Who else?

And that's it

Team Czech
>Milan Kundera
>Jirasek
>Capek
>Hrabal
>Neruda
>Arbes

>Dutch
What are the great works of their literature?

I stand by Whitman at the bench and Steinbeck at Center. Whitman's older, has limited style, and would be odd man out on the starters. However, he could make it as a player-coach with Twain as his assistant. Drop Arthur Miller for Ralph Ellison. Miller can be on the reserves with Frost, Alexi, O'Neil, and Sam Shepard. Ellison and Morrison would have better on court chemistry anyways. I think O'Connor has it in her to be a surprise 6th man of the year.