Do you finish novels that you find boring? What if they're "canon" novels?

Do you finish novels that you find boring? What if they're "canon" novels?

I finish everything I start, that's my only rule in life.

I finish everything I start because I'm no quitter

I always follow my will, that's my only rule in life.

It's called discipline. If you can't get through books that don't stimulate you as much as you're used to, you need to work on building yourself up with less difficult tasks. Also spend time sitting or lying without music or other stimulus and close your eyes and just think. Go outside too for at least half an hour a day. Your brain is not functioning at full capacity.

I forced myself to read a shitty translation of The Iliad, because I originally had a good one which I got about 3/4 through but then lost it and had to buy a new one. The shitty translation was the only version I could find in the place I was at the time.

>forcing yourself to read something you don't want to read for discipline's sake
why do you do this
why are you even alive right now

Yes, I finish what I start and if I don't like then I choose better the next book.

Life is too short to read bad books

>just because I can't derive an ounce of aesthetics and from a book doesn't mean that I shouldn't read it
Frankly neck yourselves.

I start what i start and i finish what i finish!
More is more!

>turning off a movie before it's over
>shutting off an album before the end
>quitting a vidya game before you beat it

>play shadow the hedgehog with your cousin once
>forced to play the entire game
>watch a theatre preview of barney 6 electric boogaloo
>forced to watch the entire film
>hear a lil yachty song in a passing vehicle
>forced to listen to the entire album
god, you must never have time to do anything worthwhile with those dumbfuck guidelines.

Cannon novels are rarely boring though. They might not be "fun" in the traditional sense but they are always intillectualy stimulating.

Low reading comprehension. Looks like you could use some discipline.

>still can't justify exerting discipline for it's own sake
why do you read
why do you even exist my man

This.

I might prefer to watch 30 mins of youtube but I usually get something more out of those same 30 mins if I spend them reading some George Eliot.

Its like sitting around drinking beer versus going on a hike. You might really enjoy sitting around drinking beer but the hike will make you healthier, you'll enjoy nature, get better sleep, etc.

I dropped to kill a mockingbird on page seven. I-Is it cannon?

I can't even start novels, I could never imagine finishing them.

I never finished Moby Dick because

spoilers: moby dick died at the end of moby dick

He actually didn't. So I guess that confirms you didn't read it.
He kills Captain Ahab and escapes. It is immensely unsatisfying.

Eat well, finish what you start, hold values. Masculinity beckons, yet you shy away like a meek child or woman. Why do you do this? There is a transcendent value in discipline and exercise, in conversation, and in thought.
>Bwaa why would I learn to walk if I can just crawl around all day walking is so much harder

damn now i know the ending i won't read it

I dropped Infinite Jest at about page 300

The only novel I have legitimately dropped was JR.

There's two schools of thought on this one.

One recognizes that people read novels for fun.

The other thinks that reading novels makes them better people.

The latter really depends on the person doing the reading. Most of the things I read in literary analysis is either terribly obvious (to me) or irrelevant knowledge, and the things I truly learn I could've learned faster by actually going to the appropriate field of study and opening a text book.

So if you're kinda smart but not really, then, yes, reading the entire book will be worth the slog. There's a chance that you're too smart to learn anything from a novel, in which case yes, all it has to offer is an aesthetic experience. You're probably going to be dropping a lot of canon books by this criterion.

Academia is in love with the concept of the novel as a learning tool, because it keeps the diploma mill turning for middlebrow Liberal Arts students who are impressed by books like Infinite Jest. Don't worry about the canon.

Also, insecure people (hi Veeky Forums) are really enthusiastic about asserting their intelligence, and claiming to have 'understood' 'difficult' novels is an easy way of doing this.

That said, I worry for the fact that you even needed to ask. The fuck does it matter what a bunch of nerds think? We're all equally irrelevant in this world.