How do I know when I'm lying to myself

How do I know when I'm lying to myself.

Any books on the subject?

Reading books may delude you even further.
Try talking with people who you have known for a while or a psychologist.
Write down what they say and when you're feeling very sober and unbiased (like after sleeping) read it and observe how you feel about what they say about you.

Be radically honest. Though, don't mistake pessimism for honesty. You can be radically honest and say that you've learned nothing on Veeky Forums over the past two years, and that you're not very skilled at reading literature, but this doesn't have to translate into thinking that you'll never be capable of understanding literature, since all it requires is a break from the internet and dedicated practice.

I think when you let the little lies you tell yourself grow to a critical mass, that you're going to handle something in the future, that you will magically have the capacity when you need it, that you don't need to rise to the challenge, etc., you stop growing as a person. You become another line of detached and delusional people whose spirit has been broken. Carry on that attitude for a long period of time, and you won't be able to repair the damage.

take some psychoactive drugs and meditate. i recently had a profound realization that i have been a compulsive liar and self deceiver for the whole of my life. i didn't just believe my lies, i never even realized i was telling them.

nah, senpai, stay the hell away from psychologists. they feed on human misery. it's how they get paid.

I agree with most of what you've said and have arrived at similar conclusions.

I've been practicing sincerity with other people, and I try to practice it with myself, but I absolutely can't tell what the truth is anymore. I've tried meditation like suggested, but I'm not really interested in taking drugs as I have an addictive personality. How do I distinguish truth from lie?
Talk to them about what? Myself?

what in the fuck does this comic represent

By having identifying the type of proposition you are skeptical of and adjusting your attitude appropriately. When it comes to mathematics and logic, the deductions are evident once you've exhaustively made them point meaningfully to some relation in reality. When dealing with anything else, think in terms of conditions, possibilities, alternatives, and countermeasures, in addition to the logical structures that define each proposition.

Loss, obviously.
So apply critical thinking. I don't even know what i expected to hear.

If you're heart beats faster then your lying

>nah, senpai, stay the hell away from doctors. they feed on human misery. it's how they get paid.

>implying this is bad advice
doctors are scumbags who will fuck you up whatever way possible to get repeat customers unless your country has state healthcare then they will do the opposite and say absolutely nothing is wrong with you

Goddamit give him a book. I need it too desu

OP here, I have read some philosophy, most of it's just entertainment, but Stoicism has been pretty neat and applicable in my life. Meditations is not a meme. I can't help you with the self-deception though, other than confirming that is correct.

You cant really lie to yourself in my opinion. My guess would be that you are tormented by the dillemma of either pursuing what you truly desire but running the risk of either possibly having to come to terms with failing on this path and having to bury your dream(s) forever or alternatively facing societies disapproval for the choice you want to make. This could be a general fear of stigmatisation and/or ridicule either by veterans of whatever your desire is or by your friends, peers and family, perhaps even yourself. This of course depends on your exact situation. Either way you have a choice two make. Live in the comfort of the status quo and keep suffering or follow the path of desires even if it leads to ruin. I would encourage you to at least try to do what makes you happy. I know that this sounds very cliched but fuck the haters.
This is sound advice.

What piece of shit psychologists have you been dealing with? Therapy really helped me a lot personally desu.

user your level retardation is outstanding, I can't wait until you have a problem and have to go see doctor

In my experience, there are two common forms of lying to yourself.
1. Telling yourself it's alright to make concessions in your life when you know you can do better
2. Telling yourself you don't have to make a decision on X subject because Y is true, when Y isn't something you carefully reasoned out yourself.

The first way can easily be identified because you'll be messing around or wasting time, and you'll think to yourself "this is OK, I'm OK" rather than "I'm improving my life and the world around me through my actions."

The second way is harder to identify because other people can convince you of things, and you might conflate your reasoning with what they said. To counter this, what you want to do is analyze your own thoughts by writing them out (say, in a Notepad document) and seeing if they make enough sense for you to believe in them. Write out your decision making process, and you will start to recognize the behaviors in your life that actually aren't good for you, and the lies you tell yourself.

Once you recognize these things as lies (either things you know to be false, or things which you don't properly understand or mean), you will recognize them as something that doesn't contribute to your well-being. You can then easily avoid these patterns of thought in the future.

>I'm not really interested in taking drugs as I have an addictive personality
LSD and mushrooms aren't addictive. In fact, they have a built in mechanism that prevents abuse. Tripping the next day requires exponential material: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, etc. Although I suspect that after 4 days it would be impossible to feel anything. Anyway, they're great at tearing down defenses and revealing patterns.

it's a meme comic that exemplifies how bad the writer is. (the girl had a miscarriage.) google "tim buckley loss" if you want more info, there's lots of it.

Have I really been here long enough that this is now considered a forgotten meme?
God, I need to get off this site.

the audience for bad online comics and literature don't have much overlap.

You´d be surprised

sometimes lying to yourself is healthy OP. The key is recognizing when to be honest to yourself and when a good dose of optimistic delusion is called for.

Assume that you are always lying to yourself and always dig as deep as you can into your introspection.

Notes from the underground from Dostojewski.

Beware.

I did this, went too far down the rabbit hole and now all my thoughts pertaining to myself, be it my personal likes, dislikes or beliefs, are a mess riddled with meta self doubt.
How do I reset my brain?

What are some good books for stuff like this?

>On Becoming a Person
is pretty good

I really want to take LSD and mushrooms, but they kinda scare me also. Do I really have to worry?
My family has no history of mental illness problems other than anxiety and I have only had slight amount of depression and anxiety at times.
Also is it cool to take them alone? I dont really know who I would take them with.

chups

Yeah taking them alone is a fine idea just start with 1 tab, work your way up slowly and give yourself big breaks to integrate the lessons you learn into your life. For me LSD actually cured my chronic depression so I'd recommend it.

lsd, yoga, psychiatrists, spiritual life, gym, buda, relax, actually working, music (this álbum in particular), make a family, psychoanalisis catarsis, god, believe in something, selfimprove, confess my sins, being a good person with everyone, this drug in particular, no drugs, no tv help me to cured my chronic depression so this is good for you too.
im fucking tired of this pseudoguru people. go to make a hole and disappear in it. you dont know you are promoting exactly the same social garbage.

>You can be radically honest and say that you've learned nothing on Veeky Forums over the past two years
That'd be a lie. No input goes unprocessed.

to take this even further, I've learned a lot on Veeky Forums over the past 2 years. unless you spend your time shitposting memes this website is actually pretty intellectually stimulating and has introduced me to a lot of new authors/areas of study

wow, you are basically preaching not to be a lazy slacker and anons here are wetting themselves over this

fucking /lit

best one

You can reduce all advice to stuff like that. He described a pretty precise phenomenon.