Order Count of Monte Cristo

>order Count of Monte Cristo
>it arrives
>didn't realize it was the size of a fucking telephone book
What parts can I skip?

You may want to start with Harry Potter

None.
Just read the book you fucking pleb. It's written in a style that's very easy to read so it will take no time at all.

>Skipping pages.
Oh boy, I was told underage people weren't allowed on Veeky Forums.

>very easy

>first sentence
>have to google what "three-master" is
>have to google where Smyrna is

lmao you fucking smyrna how do you not know what three-master means

Because I don't read faggy pirate books. I lived on a ship for 8 months and never heard this stupid phrase.

It's not the authors fault that you're dumb.

Here's a little tip, you can usually figure out words in books by context. If you had read the 2nd sentence, it's pretty obvious what a three-master is.

The meaning is in the word itself you dumb nigger

Never heard the word "mast" before? Or did your brain give up at the hyphen?

Not a fan of moving on in a paragraph hoping that a word is cleared up. I'd rather look them up as I go along t.b.h.

they didn't teach you about context clues in elementary school?

how the fuck do you not know what a mast is?
how did you manage to go through your life without ever hearing that word

People under the age restriction aren't allowed on Veeky Forums. If you're not underage, then how the fuck have you not read the Count of Monte Cristo and why are you doing so now?

he clearly is retarded seeing how he lacks a basic english vocabulary

What if you know all the words, but the meaning of the sentence/metaphor/event is only reviled by the end of the paragraph? Do you look it up too?
Or what when it is intentionally ambiguous and you can't find an answer? btw never read Finnegans Wake

>What if you know all the words, but the meaning of the sentence/metaphor/event is only reviled by the end of the paragraph? Do you look it up too?
That's a pretty different situation. Moving on from a sentence where the meaning of a word is unknown just creates confusion. I can hold onto the thought of a sentence that is unclear but I fully understood. If I don't fully understand a sentence and move on I get flustered.
> never read Finnegans Wake
I wouldn't bother considering how overrated Portrait was

>how the fuck have you not read the Count of Monte Cristo
Because there are hundreds of thousands of books in the world and I haven't read every single one, even the "classics"
>Why now?
Because I haven't read it yet and have been meaning to for a few years. Randomly decided to buy it after becoming completely bored of Book of the New Sun

What sort of books do you actually enjoy

its a beautiful and fun book you can read in 10 days.

mainly dictionaries and histories of wine districts

I like all kinds of books, The Floating Opera by Barth and The Voyeur by Robbe-Grillet are my two favorites. I just haven't read anything by Dumas for some reason.

>10 days
I find that to be highly unlikely, but I'll give it a shot.

It's a fucking pop adventure book for fucks sake

1243 pages/10 days
124 pages a day
yeah, not happening a) I don't have that sort of attention span b) I have a life besides reading books

Op are you pretending to be retarded

>a life besides reading books
you clearly don't belong here.

I read The Cont of Monte Cristo (unabridged) for the first time on a family vacation ~3 years ago. It took me a little over a week to finish.
The people in this thread saying that it's quick to read are serious. The book has a large page count but it takes no time at all to read through.

No, was just wondering if there are any skippable parts. Like with Twin Peaks, it's a great show but you miss nothing skipping ~65 episodes from season 2. It's not 1840 anymore, these 1200 pages are competing with about 700 other things for my attention.

>why are you doing so now?
Better late than never. I heard/watched the musical, both the English and the Russia ones.

~6*

just get an abridged copy. they make things specifically to the purpose of skipping what plebs consider filler.

It's ok, you guys are pretty insistent that it's a breeze, I'm going to give the whole thing a go.

what the fuck is a 3 master u stupid bitch?

>just get an abridged copy

A ship with three sail-pole things apparently.

okay well how am i supposed to know that
sounds like a dragon dildo

then don't read those parts and miss out on the full adventure. you don't deserve everything in the world you mongrel.

Exactly. And it's written by a black guy, I don't expect him to know all this complex shit about boats.

>He doesn't know his Greek Anatolian province + city names

You didn't start with the greeks, did you?

Three-masters BTFO

>Like with Twin Peaks, it's a great show but you miss nothing skipping

MOTHERFUCKER

I finished the Count of Monte Cristo a little over two weeks ago. It's not a hard read. Don't skip pages. By the time you get to the end you'll want it to keep going.

Please note however, the pace changes dramatically after page 300. It was a little jarring to me but you get used to it. Franz is a bro.

I watched the anime adaptation and that's enough for me.

Why is the novel part of the canon? It's a fun, well written revenge story, but it doesn't really feel literary, more like the kind of escapist stuff Veeky Forums would usually deride.

How do you rate it /10?

9/10

It's just barely classic tier, but it's in there.

It just werks.

It's all amazing. Go on librivox and listen to the audio book

All of it, CoMC is genre trash. Read Flaubert instead. Or fuck, read Hugo.

Nice. Before I committed to buying it I did a quick search of the archive for some opinions and pretty much everyone loved it. I'm pretty hype to get started with it.

Nice bait

I'm 26 and I read it for the first time this year. Also it wasn't very good. It can be safely skipped for anyone in want of serious literature.

And that's why you end up as a page-skipper brainlet.

he is my boyfriend FOR LIFE the sexiest and my INSPIRATION I LOVE YOU!!!!!!

(ignore the thing on the right lol)

Unironically this

The Greeks taught me basic Mediterranean geography, which the Romans rounded out, prepping me for modern views of regions, and their updated names

Honestly it's not even that good. If you want the quintessential experience of 19th century French lit read Stendhal and Hugo, followed by Zola's Les Rougon Macquart and Balzac's La Comedie Humaine. And you might as well give up on the poets now if you're going to read them transalted

>What parts can I skip?