Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=w1zwGLBpULs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

to subtell 4 me(me)

i fux

dat bonestructure is immaculate

brasil is monkey jungle

she's great. 10/10

Most underrated author I have ever read. Agua viva was 10/10 great.

Which of her works are recommended? Best translation?

all I've read is hour of the star but i loved it. thinking of tackling her short stories next

I want to breed her

The New Directions translations of her work are pretty good. Ben Moser's translation of The Hour of the Star, for example, is superior to Giovanni Pontiero's. However, it's a short enough book that, if you were really interested, you could read both fairly quickly and make your own conclusions.
Also, if anyone's interested, she did an interview.
youtube.com/watch?v=w1zwGLBpULs

Any Portuguese speakers here? Is Lipspector better in the original vs translation? How easy is it to learn Portuguese if you already know Spanish as a second language?

honorary genes

I wouldn't bother learning Portuguese if you have Spanish already. Unless you plan on living in Portugal or Brazil, of course. If you have an advanced/fluent Spanish you'd be able to understand a lot of Portuguese already.

According to Moser, one of her recent and best translators, who discovered her in a college Portuguese class (after being discouraged out of a Chinese course), Lispector's Portuguese is fairly unusual even for native speakers.

If your spanish is considerably good, you won't struggle to learn portuguese as much as someone who's never had any contact with any latin language. There are some simmilarities, but they're not THAT alike.
And I do believe her works are better in Portuguese, but not so much better that it'd be worth learning the language just to read them

>mfw i've passed by her childhood house several times and never knew it until a few days ago

Would be ignored if she wasn't Jewish.

>would be ignored

Overrated

Some of the novels aren't terrific, admittedly, but Agua Viva, The Hour of the Star and A Breath of Life are good reads.

Would DM her jizz tributes to her twitter if I could

I've read Água Viva and A Hora da Estrela in portuguese and skimmed both in english. Her prose is very delicate, and some of it is lost in translation, but the works still stand. If you can speak spanish, you'll be able to understand a lot of portuguese though, so as long as you got a dictionary and a companion or something similar you should be good. If you wanna try an easier book, give Vidas Secas by Graciliano Ramos a try, it's very short, the prose is extremely dry but it's also a beautiful book.

Not really considering Brazil as a whole doesn't give a single fuck about jews, we barely have jews here. In 27 years I've met exactly three, and two of them were brothers and I don't think I've ever seen a synagogue (my gf lived near a jewish cemetery though). I suppose São Paulo might have more of a jewish population, but still negligible.

kek

I pass by Dalton Trevisan's house here in curitiba kind of often. I always hope I get to see him by the window or something

indeed, don't know where you are from, but here in curitiba, I haven't met any jews, if I have, it certainly doesn't showed. But I know a jew in São Paulo, he is my cousin's husband, and let me tell you, he is a true jew (and yes, you could tell by his and his family's nose). motherfucker is rich as fuck, but not only that, the worse is that he is an arrogant prick. I went to his house in alphaville once, and he had to tell the price of the paintings he had hanging on the walls, and of the bottles of wine he had. when he goes to the house of his wife's mother (my godmother), he always have to say that 'X' food was bad, or that 'Y' item in the house is old, or that her car is cheap and shitty...