Holy shit, this is the best thing I've read in years

Holy shit, this is the best thing I've read in years.

Other urls found in this thread:

u.nya.is/fatxeo.mobi
kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/alexander-theroux-4/darconvilles-cat/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It is good, isn't it?

I need to re-read it, definitely, but it was a very heavy read, so I want to let it sit longer, even though I finished it two months ago. I loved Theroux's subtle characterization of Isabel from the beginning as somewhat of a bland, mediocre personality not good enough for Darconville. I thought I was misguided somehow or that Theroux had made an artistic fumble, because from the beginning Isabel seemed to me a very boring and uninteresting character compared to Darconville, but the reveal of the cheating blew me away. It's a highly underrated and not-much-talked-about book. I wish more modern fiction was like it, as in, willing to pay attention to beauty of style and form, even to experimentation, but also having genuine concern for the characters, ideas, and plot.

The ending, however, was actually a great disappointment to me. I thought Darconville's suddenly deciding not to kill Isabel was very sentimentally and poorly handled compared to the half-hilarious half-incredibly-dark build-up to it; also, his sudden obsession with writing his work and decline into sickness, I thought to be rushed, sentimental and emotionally out-of-keeping with the book; finally, that his last words were about his cat, leading to the title --- I found that gimmicky and hard to find a reason for.

Damn, I really need to re-read it. If anything, the prose style is also some of the best I've ever read. Also, Crucifer is probably one of the greatest and most ridiculous villains I've ever encountered in a piece of literature.

But you've never read it

I'm not going to read your spoilers until I finish it this weekend, but i agree it's a difficult read. I've had a blast noting down all of the words I don't know and researching the references. I feel like this one will overshadow anything I pick next.

I'm sorry it was too hard for you. Try to remember not everyone is scared of hard books, ok pal?

i got a first edition for cheap, i'm so excited

so did i, internet friend. i'm not starting it any time soon though; too sidetracked rn.

protip: read it with the OED ready-to-hand

i thought the crucifer parts dragged desu

it's not on Amazon for any reasonable price...

yeah, i'm rolling around in beckett's trilogy. holy fuck the prose is hypnotic af. i can't believe i just read such an effortless assemblage of stone sucking brainstorming. then i have several other books to rummage through, but soon enough. i wish you luck, dear internet pal.

there was a copy on ebay for 80 bucks marked down to 50. there are a couple of ex library copies on the net for near 40 bucks, if you check around.

Is it worth it though? I could get like 4-10 books for that price.

it exists as an ebook someplace, let me see if i can grab it for you really quick

bumping for ebook

u.nya.is/fatxeo.mobi

should be right.

Would also be interested in an ebook version

>yeah, i'm rolling around in beckett's trilogy. holy fuck the prose is hypnotic af.
make sure you read 'how it is' by beckett right after. trust me.
>i wish you luck, dear internet pal.
thanx babe.

kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/alexander-theroux-4/darconvilles-cat/

Is it safe lads?

dude, yes. it's fine, i just posted it myself.

Fuck wht the fkocks hapebing to my computhr you pifg of shiy

your fingers are getting jammed between the keys, it must be the encrustation of copious semen. whether this is my fault, i am perhaps flattere.

It's on libgen but it's full of typos

bump
>inb4 it's a slow board, you don't need to bump
This book is great enough that this thread merits a bump

The essay on love is one of the best written parts of any novel I've ever read. I wish he'd write another encyclopedic tome.

p. sure he wrote another.