Fucking idiot

Philosophy student: "I'm studying ethics"
Me: "So have you become a more ethical person?"
Philosophy student: "That's not the point..."
Like pottery

Being and Time is lame book. desu.

They did studies on this
Ethic students actually cheat more

Probably because error theory is the only non-retarded stance so strictly speaking there's no reason not to.

>t. sophist

These impudent, stupid pseudo-intellectual snobs aren't only in ivy league or Oxbridge universities. They are in virtually all of them. In my uni days I was in a philospohy tutorial where the lecturer made the illogical statement that there is no such thing is truth. I asked him if he expected us to believe his statement was true? Rather than commending me for my reasoning, he became angry because he thought I was trying to ridicule him. As he wouldn't answer my question, I dropped philosophy!

lmao btfo. philosophy is for failed artists or scientists. no one would choose to be a philosopher over a genius composer or a genius scientist, because it is always a last resort profession, for failures and frauds
>Nietzsche - wanted to be a composer and failed
>Wittgenstein - wanted to be an engineer, failed, wanted to be a mathematician, failed, wanted to be a musician, failed
>Heidegger - wished he was a poet/artist, failed
>Schopenhaur - wished he was a musician so that wouldn't have to live his boring philosopher life, failed
>Russell - wanted to be a mathematician, wasn't as smart as other mathematicians and so opted for philosophy
>every single modern anglo philosopher - wished they were mathematicians, so they try pathetically to use mathematical symbols and logic in their philosophy so that they can at least get the aesthetic of it

Philosophers are also all sad manlets trying to compensate for low self esteem
>Heidegger was like 5 feet
>Wittgenstein - 5'6"
>Nietzsche 5'8"
>Camus - 5'7"
>Kant - 5'0" LMAO
>Sartre - 5'0" LMFAO
>Derrida - 5'5"
>Zizek - 5'8"
etc. etc. etc..

Philosophers wish they could make an impact on the world, they wish they could create beautiful works of art, they wish they could be good looking Chads, but they always fail, so they try to argue their way out of it, reason their way our of it: "I may not be able to get that cute girl, but, uh, it's because I'm the Ubermensch, hehehe, right guys!?" Every philosophical theory has been overturned, and philosophy has NEVER come up with a definitive answer. It is a failed field, and no one takes it seriously. Philosophers are all sad, pathetic, delusional people.

I must correct myself
I am fairly certain that it had to do with book borrowing, and it were the ethic students that didn't bring them back on time
But the gist was there was no evidence that ethic students were more ethical

Students of economics are the worst, which shouldn't come as a suprise

If a philosophy student is telling you something like that, he's a pseud; he doesn't study ethics, if at all he's studying the history of ethics. There's no way to actually study ethics without the goal of becoming a more ethical person. Ethics are about acts - if you think acting in a certain way is good/bad - and don't act according to it, you're a living self-contradiction.

t. Time travelling Rod Dreher

What is the utility of humanity?

He's right though, utility is an empirical paradigm, which philosophy isn't concerned with.

>actually
weasel word

So, do you guys just do these studies out of interest or is there a deeper reason behind it ?

There's nothing wrong with pursuing something out of interest, all it means is you should treat it as such,

>What is the utility of humanity?
Humanity.

What's the utiltiy of myself?
Myself.

Both are not a means to an end but an end in itself.

To live my life through anime.

Then why the butthurt

If I say "dentistry doesn't cure malaria" dentists don't get mad, they say "of course not, why would it"

Ok then. The utility of philosophy is philosophy.

Well, I'm not butthurt, but I do understand why some people are from the disdainful intent from people who say philosophy is 'useless'. They are technically right but they can't see why philosophy is 'useless' and why it should be so.

No, the utility of philosophy lies in myself. (Like the utility of every other science does - it helps me to lead a better life.)
If you don't want to sound as selfish as I do, you could say the utility of philosophy lies in humanity, like the utility of every other science does.)

Well what's the utility of any philosophy? Why single out "modern" philosophy?

t.spook

I'm a philosophy major and this is 100% true and hilarious.

>Every art and every inquiry, and similarly every action and pursuit, is thought to aim at some good; and for this reason the good has rightly been declared to be that at which all things aim. But a certain difference is found among ends; some are activities, others are products apart from the activities that produce them. Where there are ends apart from the actions, it is the nature of the products to be better than the activities. Now, as there are many actions, arts, and sciences, their ends also are many; the end of the medical art is health, that of shipbuilding a vessel, that of strategy victory, that of economics wealth. But where such arts fall under a single capacity- as bridle-making and the other arts concerned with the equipment of horses fall under the art of riding, and this and every military action under strategy, in the same way other arts fall under yet others- in all of these the ends of the master arts are to be preferred to all the subordinate ends; for it is for the sake of the former that the latter are pursued.

>I'm a philosophy major
Trust me, you don't have the slightes clue about philosophy, yet.

And you do?

t. manlet philosopher

know any philosophers that aren't manlets? I don't want to read something this filth has produced

>Wittgenstein - wanted to be an engineer, failed, wanted to be a mathematician, failed, wanted to be a musician, failed
But... that's not true.

Anyone who says that an academic discipline, or art or anything similar is "useless", either aren't interested in the subject, or don't know anything about it and are being arrogant.

are you saying that astrology is not useless or that your statement only holds in our present advanced age

not an academic discipline or art

I suppose all the Greeks were short. Maybe Kierkegaard was tall. I guess he'd be taller as a modern Dane though.

Astrology is legit useful. So is alchemy. You just revealed your pleblevel.

it was considered one in earlier times
in what way

astrology was useful then, not so useful now. it's different from nonsense because the conceptual structures generated by astrology was meaningful to us. without astrology we might never get astronomy because deeper inquiry into the nature of the cosmos would fail to pique our interest.

I'm not gonna spoonfeed you. Read the Tetrabiblos. Or continue in your blind scientism worship. Up to you.

>how to spoonfeed: tell someone to go buy a spoon

Unless they're a marxist, amirite?

imagine a world without astronomy

bump

>talk to history student
>say "so u know about history"
> student replies, "Yes"
>say "That's awesome, ur really pretty"
>history student, "Msh Slip Slurp" sucking on my dick

God I love writing

Saw ur other thread bro. We get it, u don't like philosophy

>the state of being useful, profitable, or beneficial.

Nice edit.

Honestly ALL noteworthy philosophers have said this. It's an elite secret to those who actually read/think for pleasure

youtube.com/watch?v=HP7vOx1ZCHE

This is the opinion of a genuine moron who should never have any role in directing any society.

It's not even factually correct. I guess this is what being a manlet does to your cognitive ability.

philosophy is the basis of culture and politics. It's probably the most important field there is and I'm saying this as a STEMfag

i love philosophy and i'm a manlet lmao

Dang this thread went downhill fast.

Anthropologist here so no skin in the game but Freddy being 5'8 actually puts him about 5 inches taller than European average in 1870

>relativism
shame on you