Is there a Veeky Forums guide to Economics?

Is there a Veeky Forums guide to Economics?

das kapital

There has to be a picture somewhere...

I tried searching but couldn't find it

How about you ask

ECON 101

one subject that is truly better off not self-taught

They have nothing in their sticky. Should I make a thread? They don't usually respond to anything

Fuck off Lebowtiz

Marx, Schumpeter, Bohm-Bawerk, Keynes

Don't bother. Veeky Forums doesn't read econ books. It doesn't read books in general

Great movie btw.

econ in one lesson

Economics: A User's Guide by Ha-Joon Chang. It'll help you learn why guys like Hayek, Friedman, and Sowell got so much wrong.

Mein Kampf, Basic Economics, The Old Testament

>he thinks Veeky Forums knows anything other than shitposting about crypto

Was looking into this the other day. I'll pick it up, I guess.

What are you trying to learn out of Econ books?
This is a very good place to start.Alternatively, there's Sowell's Basic Economics, but I personally take Hazlitt.

fpbp

Veeky Forums is a bunch of children larping the wolf of wallstreet

they told me to buy BTC. Then BTC lost value and I lost the money.

We lost alot of money.

REEEEEEEEE STOP CONFLATING ECONOMICS AND FINANCE LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE

You're a dope if you lost money on bitcoin. Hodl

Veeky Forums is 99% consisting of threads where one person role play as thirty others in a thread to shill the shitcoin of the month

the other 1% of threads is some guy crying over losing his life savings after putting it all in the shitcoin of last month

Google Anton Kreil my dude.

this but unironically

get money and use that money to make more money

user I think he means economics grounded in reality not utopianism :^)

There's a lot of bad shit out there. I liked Exit, Voice, and Loyalty

This is good and explains things in clear prose.

I know Veeky Forums is going to say it's an ideological book, but actually, none of the material in here is controversial, at least to mainstream economists. You could also read Gregory Mankiw's textbook.

If you want heterodox, you just read Marx and the Austrians and whatnot.

You've never read any of the books in the economics section.

economics is a pseudo science; it's a bunch of horse shit

>t. studied economics

Economics doesn't have to be a science to not be horse shit you mongoloid

Stick to your gender studies, cuckface.

>I can't understand economics so I must screech
It's ok user, not everyone can.

nah, he's right.
Strathern's Dr Strangelove's Game: A Brief History of Economic Genius is pretty on point, but even if you just look at the case of Mansa Musa I of Mali, or the Domesday Book, you can see dicking around with economics to be the start of many disciplines and even the foundation or destruction of societies and/or economic instruments. Like you don't need John Law to be right for us to still have paper money, and the treasurer is never going to give you the note value in gold in exchange, it's the big lies that helps economics go by at all.

epic xDD

>against IP
>implying that Rand was a precursor to narcocapitalism
>smug Pinochet reference
>implying that he wasn't a statist
>Viking age Iceland - good thing that we still have Somalia
>Hans-Hermann Hoppe - can't tell the difference between Eigentum and Besitz
And this is why narcocapitalism is as bad as totalitarianism. It makes no difference between market and force.

99% of people just cannot grasp the absolute basics of neoclassical economics

>against IP
copyrights are literally useless
patents are mostly useless
trademarks are good

Try the "Origin of wealth" for complexity economics

How much of this book is explaining economics vs disproving government intervention?

I'm fine with the latter but I'd rather just a good rundown on economics, how it functions, basic principles.

That said, Basic Books is a solid publisher which hasn't let me down so far.

>the treasurer is never going to give you the note value in gold in exchange, it's the big lies that helps economics go by at all.
This isn't a "big lie" or even a lie at all, since literally nobody claims the government will give you gold for dollars. You're a moron if you think the economy depends on people believing the government will give them gold for cash since nobody believes it.

agreed

If you want to learn about the fundamentals rather than the arguments then don't read Economics in One Lesson yet. I only say this because it's the book that is recommended the most (by classical/libertarians at least) and it's basically one big response to interventionism. Great book, I recommend it, but it's mostly focused on disproving government intervention

uhh, so what you're saying is Hazlitt is what I don't want and Sowell's Basic Economics is what I want?

Not sure why nobody suggested this, but just buy a second-hand textbook:

-Mankiw
-Slomann
-Begg

If you have a background in maths and can grasp calculus quite well then try Hal R. Varian - Intermediate Micro with Calculus.

start with this, then check out Reinert's How Rich countries became rich and why poor countries stay poor.

Also, the Bad Samaritan too.

This

The only worthwhile books to teach you economics are textbooks.

You can certainly self-teach economics, the only barrier is wading through the politicized and pop-econ bullshit that floods the market. People are stupid and it's easy to say "Hey Shmuck! This book tells you how it REALLY is in the economy, unlike the FAKE NEWS!" People want to believe that econ is some mystical veil being pulled over their eyes to hide some hideous underbelly. In reality, econ is apolitical and only cares about efficient outcomes. Really, all econ problem no matter how large boils down to: are markets working efficiently. Left and right are irrelevant but people, especially people on the right and the Libertarian crowd, love to think that economics is inherently right wing when its not. Then you have all the pop books like Capital by Fagkety who sell even more poorly researched bullshit about complete non-issues. Then on top of all of that people consider finance books to be the same thing as econ books as if wall street and the stock market are the same as the federal reserve and the BLS.

ejmr is the best place for actual quality econ literature.

Underrated post.

You only lose if you sell

>ancap
>economics
lmaoing at your life desu senpai

finance != economics

Nothing is controversial because people don't give a shit about his books. It is ideological. Not the worst book you could read but no where near the best.

Which is why no one who seriously knows economics would buy books from the econ section at your local barnes you fucking plebeian.

>t. studied economics 101 and never further
ftfy

>muh gold
stop.

Seconding Varian

Start with the Greeks:
Xenophon's Economicus

>>muh gold
>stop.
Did you only recognise John Law's name, or are you agreeing Mansa Musa fucked up too? Because I wasn't advocating Law or Musa.

>but promissory notes were only a lie in the beginning
>that's why they're not lies now
uhhuh remember when libor had to shut down because of rates rigging, kid? it's all lies multiplied by lies, and without it, you're going primitive.

not him but you do have any books to recommend? i like your style

Framing it as a "lie" is misguided. It's about trusting the system. This is more appealing than stockpiling gold and building a bunker.

wealth of nations
ay or nay

Yes but an abridged version

>I like your style
You like retarded conspiracy theorists explaining things they don't fully understand?
The great majority of these have literally nothing to do with economics you fucking retard.

take your pills, psycho

Man, Economy, & State by Rothbard

for style i'd say michael lewis (big short, liar's poker, moneyball) for a longer history strathern's book >trusting the system
have you met the people in the system? i'd trust a can of baked beans more.

I don't need to meet everyone in the system since it's bigger than any individual. I've paid for goods with money my entire life, I've not experienced hyperinflation, etc. I have no reason to doubt the financial system in a way that would alter how I go about my life. Speculating on the price of gold or a cryptocurrency? Sure. Altering how I go about my day because there isn't gold backing up the dollar? Nope.

what are some good intro books on finance and how finance is related to the economy?

Economics is just something you get or you don't

I haven't read a single 'academic' page on economics and I know more about it than the chucklefucks who claim to be 'economics professors' at universities

Are you really too young to remember the latest global crash? Have you even read Gibbons about Rome? What's so hard about saying "yes it's a lot of big lies that make it work"? You don't even need to worry about admitting the part about your pantywaist projections where you're just trying to grasp the last straws of "which of the three /pol/ stock characters do i argue with" just that you were wrong and need to not talk to people. If you don't like lies and the people who tell them to you, why are you in an economics thread on a literature board of some American's kids translation of 2chan? That's probably more lies than you can take for today before you try to bluff your way into convincing yourself the big lie isn't how it works, which isn't working out since I don't think even you believe you believe they're not just lies agreed upon.

Very much this. Every chapter is so dense but he's such a good writer you don't even notice.

/pol/ actually believes this.

>/pol/ actually believes whatever I say and think they believe.

>finance has nothing to do with economics

t. undergrad "intellectual"

I will invest on fundamentals instead of getting my news off of zerohedge and going into cryptocurrency and precious metals. I worked through the last crash, and I will work through the next one. As Kyle Bass says, when the next crash comes, its not going to be an apocalypse. People will lose money. And then people will make money. Same as it has ever been. And those who shout hyperbole and claim the sky is falling will claim they are right, even though they lost any potential gains on long term shorts.

Just read (memorize and understand) all the material in some bachelors course from some repuatable university. It isnt that hard lol.

This. Economics can only be understood intuitively, which is why so many economists, people who have spent their entire adult lives studying how economies function, fail over and over again to make accurate predictions. And some of them, such as Friedman, are in part responsible for the destruction of major economies. They may have studied economics but they were never able to grasp it intuitively.

I'm interested in developmental economics, or whatever field that studies how countries go from backwater shitholes to America or Singapore. i.e., what does it take to have a diversified, powerful, and resilient economy, what is the road to growth like, etc.

>i'll keep pretending the economy only happens to me
that's funnily enough why a lot of cities in the US are going broke gd/lk with that

Undercover economist one and two.
Get he audiobook.

This desu.
Also read pic related if you really want to learn something.

Good God, why would you recommend this garbage. Chang has been widely discredited for selectively abalysing countries that support his ideological neo-Keynesian bullshit.

His views represent the worst of the right and left rolled up into a ball of mediocrity

Listen to this guy op.

Don't read Piketty unless you can't understand the distinction between static and dynamic, and have no interest in learning

>Ha-Joon Chang
>neo-Keynesian
opinion discarded

What should I read instead? He seems to cover way more than others and actually uses real data to back his theories.

Do you have any proper argumets against this book? Not just ad personam bullshit?

>he doesn't know about Hollande's experiment
>millionaires and billionaires scrambling to leave the country by the thousands
>dropping tax revenues because somebody forgot about muh Laffer Curve
no goys we need MORE taxes, MORE redistribution, we didnt go FAR ENOUGH

>looks up Ha Joon Chang on wikipedia
>under "tradition" it doesn't say neo-Keynesianism
>haven't read any economics books so can only assume wikipedia is right
>REEEEEEEEE

So what book should I read instead? Even if he has flaws, it seems better than most of the stuff that is out there

Not an argument.

go ahead and read Piketty, I think it's a good attempt, it's just overrated and visibly wrong when it comes to recommending policy.

>Economicus
yep, read it if you want to read about how to teach your 15 year old wife how to take care of the household properly

Sorry lemme explain. Piketty focuses on static measures of inequality such as the Gini coefficient as the basis of his hypothesis. From that foundation, his work is okay I guess- he's been accused of misrepresenting data by many, but I don't really know either way.

The bigger issue is that this approach, though common among economists, is unsophisticated and wildly inaccurate. What matters with regard to inequality is the dynamic quantity. Are individuals equally able to change their wealth, or do only some have access to upward mobility. And inversely is the top too "sticky"- do rich folks have too much of a moat to keep them there.

When you miss this, you end up with incorrect conclusions about what works with equality. For example on a static basis, France looks far better than the US... but if you look at mobility, the reverse is true. Policies in France make it so that generally rich people stay rich while the poor stay poor. In the US, the top cycles out on a regular basis and poor people frequently move up. The majority of Americans will, at some point in their life, be in the top 10% with regard to wealth (though they probably won't stay there!).

To be sure, theres still big issues regarding this in America; in particular mobility is not evenly distributed across demographic/geographic groups, etc.

Thank you for this post. I will still read it, just because there doesn't seem to be anything better out there. But I will keep in mind what you told me.

How open is the educatio system in france? How easy is it to start a company/startup?

Well depends what you mean by "Veeky Forums". If you want to seriously learn economics pick up a textbook like those written by Mankiw. If all you're interested in is flowery prose, but not actual economics, pick any of the garbage marxist books of your choice, like Naomi Klein's shock doctrine.

Piketty had erroneous results, because he is a retard who doesn't know how to use Excel probably. When confronted about it he refused to correct his mistakes. He is a fraud, and in addition is a despicable human being who regularly beats his wife.

You're talking about the Filippetti woman, right?
The most uncultured bint to ever grace the scenes of power in France - and trust me, there's been a long list of them - and she got named minister for Culture, the irony. Pity he didn't beat some sense and culture into her.

CF: Montherlant's analysis of medieval Romances - not the kind of courtly love your Auntie Mabel would approve of.

Ad hominem, bitch

Erik Reinert's work.