“Sports, politics, and religion are the three passions of the badly educated.”

“Sports, politics, and religion are the three passions of the badly educated.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cqdv032mFbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

he should try the redpill of white nationalism and see if he felt the same, the degenerate fat numale cuck

>1,320 Ratings
Just

Tell me something I don't know, Gass-man.

Sports and religion are definitely the passions of the badly educated, but I think that someone can go to college and study political science and what not. I'm not sure what exactly he means by politics being the passion of the badly educated. It's not my particular passion, it drains my energy and makes me feel depressed, but I think there's a lot of interesting things to observe if you're not just talking about trump trump trump trump trump.

Full quote

“Sports, politics, and religion are the three passions of the badly educated. They are the Midwest's open sores. Ugly to see, a source of constant discontent, they sap the body's strength. Appalling quantities of money, time, and energy are wasted on them. The rural mind is narrow, passionate, and reckless on these matters. Greed, however shortsighted and direct, will not alone account for it. I have known men, for instance, who for years have voted squarely against their interests. Nor have I ever noticed that their surly Christian views prevented them from urging forward the smithereening, say, of Russia, China, Cuba, or Korea. And they tend to back their country like they back their local team: they have a fanatical desire to win; yelling is their forte; and if things go badly, they are inclined to sack the coach.”

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Gass honestly sounds retarded here.

>religion is the passion of the badly educated
probably one of the most idiotic things you could say.

It's poor wording, but I know what he means. He doesn't mean that anyone who is into sports, politics, or religion is a dumdum, I think. He's talking about a certain mindset, which I have encountered thousands of times and I think you all have too.

Being interested in religion as a social and historical phenomenon is patrician as fuck

gee i wonder who he voted for in 2008, 2012 and 2016

>you have to be asocial in order to be smart!
I fucking hate people like this

but he's right

>one of the best living authors, in the top 100, definitely
>has the same trite opinions found anywhere else

where did it all go so wrong

"political science" is ideological bs

It's always the fat, ugly lards who deride the values and virtues of athletics.

Sports are gay but politics and religion are fun as shit to get drunk as fuck and talk about with your friends AND enemies.

Hur dur I'm a leftist here to discredit the alt right by repeating shit they barely say in an off putting manner, it's totally gonna work guys, communist revolution any day now that the alt right is associated with LE CRINGE XD

dumb modernist

>It's always the fat, ugly lards who deride the values and virtues of athletics.
>lards

The was a very Veeky Forums use of synecdoche. Well done.

Very stupid valuation, but there's no argument against it. Is there any reason one should wish for inactivity, apoliticality, and irreligiosity? Maybe in some way, but not to the extreme, and most who fancy themselves with sport, politic, and religion never bring such things to the extreme.

This is a good example of the boomer mindset that has unraveled the west (even if Gass is technically from the prior generation): decadence, with criticism turned inward, but unable to determine the actual source of the problem. This is the mindset that fucked us.

Interesting, my only passions are sports, politics, and religion.

He said nothing of the virtues of athleticism, and criticized the obsession fat, potbellied midwestern Americans have with television sports. An entire arena filled with 80,000 of the lowest pond scum screaming for 6'5" muscular black men playing with a ball. Then they indulge in the worst kind of consumerism to flaunt their pride in a particular group of athletic black men that supposedly represent their region.

>badly educated
What a story, Mark.

>the obsession fat, potbellied midwestern Americans have with television sports

Except, midwestern americans have considerably less passion for their favorite sports than south americans and europeans

You need to stop looking for someone to worship. Writers are people.

Nothing under the sun is original. Its all building on something or contradicting something else.

I wish i could murder both you and the poster you replied to you dumb nigger.

This is a good point. Americans as a whole really aren't sports fanatics. How many adults actually go play sports with their friends? Nobody plays baseball or football in the streets and parks like poor South Americans or Spaniards or Italians play soccer with each other.

Also nobody watches ESPN anymore.

read again

yeah, but this is pabulum

It's generational. Boomer men were, and continue to be, lulled to sleep through sportsball. That has contributed to the decline of the west, and is representative of the pacification of the dindu-worshipping white boomer male, who lived a life of excess fucking "liberated" thots, obtaining easy career opportunities, and drinking estrogen-filled beer while watching hood niggers chase a ball around. His children, who can't sit through a commercial even when forced and now have to compete with the millions of outsiders allowed into his country under his sedated fathers' watch, are going to experience a rude awakening sometime in the near future if they haven't already.

Jesus Christ, could you be any more /pol/ if you tried? Its like you're speaking in pure memes.

Not an argument, and I've never posted on /pol/.

What are Gass's best non-fiction works? I have Finding a Form.

Don't go outside much do you

I mean playing sports aside, europeans and south americans are just far more passionate in their fandom of soccer than americans are of any sport. Violence and fights between opposing teams' loyalists are common, soccer is literally linked with gang culture in poorer parts of italy and even england.

I don't think Americans' interests in sports are waning. It's just that american sports fans are not nearly as passionate as european fans, which is the word the OP quote specifically uses. ESPN dropping in ratings is due to several factors.

Quite the sportsman actually. Are we projecting here, mate?

that's why i:
Lift
Read
Jerk off to anime girls

these are the past times of the intellectually surperior

oh you're one of those sports men, eh?
youtube.com/watch?v=Cqdv032mFbg

Lfting, reading, and jerking off to anime girls are the three passions of the eternal channer.

Yeah, I am. And I'm on mobile and don't give a shit about whatever video you posted, so do you have something of substance to say or are you just some bitchboy experiencing your evening estrogen surge?

dumb phoneposter

>acting like a hysterical woman
>a..are you experiencing your estrogen surge b..bitchboy?

So you had nothing of substance to say. That's what I thought, soyboy.