How do I get myself to read? I haven't read a single book this year

How do I get myself to read? I haven't read a single book this year.

You take the book, sit down, and fucking read.
Stop trying to find ways to do things that aren't just doing them.

ADHD medication

Thanks, I just read 50 pages from Stoner.

The only book I finished this so far this year is Ragged Dick, a short novella intended to be read by uneducated orphans, idk wtf my problem is

Read the synposis on wikipedia, that's all you need to be le cultured in 2017

i think my problem is i always read the introduction/translators notes/etc. and it spoils everything and gives me a bunch of biographical shit about the author which distracts me from the text and by the time i finish all that crap i'm already like 50-100 pages in and just don't feel like going any further...i've learned good shit from reading the intros and shit so i don't like to skip it, but i think that is the root of my not reading much, i look at all my unfinished books and i might be as much as 20% of the way in, but i'm only 5 pages into the actual text of the novel, the rest was all introductory notes and shit

You just sit yourself down and force yourself to read through the boredom until it clicks and you actually enjoy what you're reading. Have faith that your patience will be rewarded.

Dude, I do the same shit you do and I still manage to finish books. Stop coming up with excuses and start reading.

I'm reading The Meditations right now since it's short as fuck and cost $1 on ebay, but god it fucking sucks so far, "we're all gonna die so nothing matters lol oh wait but don't enjoy yourself too much just because" at first i thought i wasn't getting it so i started reading it really slow and closely and i'm like nope this is just pretty dumb

That's what you get for reading philosophy

i know, philosophy is an autistic pursuit of nothing, but since stoicism is the latest fad among tech bros i figure it might help me build rapport during a job interview or something

stop making threads

>but since stoicism is the latest fad among tech bros
Read because you want to, not because some autistic interest you have. If you don't have a reading habit, you won't get it from reading things you don't want to.

I was the same way user. Then I decided to read the text and save the introduction until the end. Now I finish the book, but have no desire to read the intro. baka

Pomodoro technique

DROP. THE. ELECTRONICS.
It really is that simple

Just start off small with a topic you are already interest in. After a while the habit will set in. Stop blaming yourself for not reading because guilt is neither a good motivator nor a decent source from which to draw a disciplined attitude from.

I haven't read anything besides fanfiction in over 5 years.

Stop browsing the internet and read.
Oh wait you don't want this, you just want to be told that you have some mental illness and for you it's VERY different, you need pills and shit so you can keep not reading because the world is clearly holding you back.
Poor boy.

Get depressed.

Stop being a little bitch and concentrate on hallucinating with your printed piece of dead shit for fucks sake

I've read about 3500 pages of a mediocre scifi novel series over the past 2 months. Turns out the first book was to drag those of us on the fence into it, hoping it'll get more interesting but it only got more dull with each passing book.

>i always read the introduction/translators notes/etc. and it spoils everything

if after the second time of having the book ruined you still continued continued reading these intros, maybe you are just not smart enough for reading.

you could have read Joseph & His Brothers and Boswell's biography of Johnson and still had 500 pages left for memes

I had the same problem when I wanted to start reading more. I'd get bored or tired, and would have a hard time getting into the story since most books start really slow. I started reading at least one chapter in bed before going to sleep, which started as a chore but as I got into it more I started reading during the day too, and then I was off. Just gotta get the ball rolling and don't put it up on such a pedestal.

Been there before. A lot of writers do that shit and will even give out their first book for free and then just shit on pages until the checks stop coming.