Can we please be kinder to one another?

Dear Veeky Forums,

This board is one of the few–if not the only–places where many of us can come to discuss literature. And yet, the vast majority of posts are incredibly rude.

For example, a gentleman made a post saying he liked the Bolaño novel 2666. He liked it for its prose, its length, its subject matter. He probably just wanted to share with you all his positive feelings of completing a work. But right off the bat, he was harshly criticized for not giving a more "literary" review, and made to feel like some sort of asshole for finishing a long novel.

Imagine that: being made to feel bad about yourself for finishing a book, in an era where nobody fucking reads anymore, which we always complain about, too.

Or another poster, who wanted to know where to start with Shakespeare, and who was instantly derided for being "pleb trash" and he'd yet to read him.

Why are we putting people down for reading novels? Why are we putting people down for wanting to better themselves? Can't we be kind to one another.

Let's foster literacy and support each other, rather than put one another down. Veeky Forums is the last bastion of literary discussion in this day and age. It's a cafe at Monteparnasse, and hatred may be tearing it apart.

So, fellow Veeky Forumserates, lift someone up today.

The Jew can take the credit for having corrupted the Graeco-Roman world. Previously words were used to express thoughts; he used words to invent the art of disguising thoughts. Lies are his strength, his weapon in the struggle. The Jew is said to be gifted. His only gift is that of juggling with other people's property and swindling each and everyone. Suppose I find by chance a picture that I believe to be a Titian. I tell the owner what I think of it, and I offer him a price. In a similar case, the Jew begins by declaring that the picture is valueless, he buys it for a song and sells it at a profit of 5000 per cent. To persuade people that a thing which has value, has none, and vice versa—that's not a sign of intelligence. They can't even overcome the smallest economic crisis!

if you want kindness go somewhere that reinforces kindness via having your name attached to your posts

this is an environment that allows brutal honesty to exist and thank god. if you feel bad about something you enjoy because someone else doesn't like it it's your own fucking fault for being stupid.

I didn't even read 80% of your post. fuck off. this is not your environment.

Even the threads themselves are starting as Nick Land's AI bot copypastas!

what a stereotypical response
kill yourself

let me guess, you unironically make sam hyde, jordan peterson, and nick land threads and consider yourself an intellectual for doing so

hurrrrr be nice user

You kill yourself you fucking retard.

This: Veeky Forums is where we come to spew our opinions without having to censor ourselves. It's completely unique in that and frankly, cathartic. Don't get me wrong, Veeky Forums is a shitpit, but "being nice" isn't what Veeky Forums is for.

user be nice what the fuck?

actually, say anything you want because you're anonymous and it won't come back to hurt you in the future. welcome to Veeky Forums, where people are honest with each other. flourish in it or leave. not even a demand, just the reality of the situation.

You have to go back, snowflake.

It's /pol/ users that come here sometimes to shitpost, the best thing to do in those situations is to ignore them. The mods could also help, but sometimes it looks like they don't give a single fuck for some of the rude/stupid answers that people give just to bait idiots.

you shouldnt be nice but you shouldnt go out of your way to shit on posts that are actually about books instead of >>>/leftypol/, etc. shit

What did OP mean by this? Was it pure b8 m8?

why shouldn't I be nice? I'll be nice if I fucking want to and I'll be mean if I fucking want to. I'll shit on posts that are about books if they're about shitty books or if the person says something stupid and I'll say nice things to someone who posts nice books or says nice things about books.

I can say whatever I want and you can say whatever you want back with no consequences. just the same as any boards you just linked me to. welcome to Veeky Forums. have a smug you illiterate nigger cockmongling faggot pedophile.

>brutal honesty

The typical justification cloak for uninformed opinions and shitposting.

There is nothing honest or intellectual about baseless accusation and derision. It's not discourse, it's pointless nuisance.

>I can say whatever I want and you can say whatever you want back with no consequences.
I dare you to say that you're a pedophile.

>it is impossible to be mean while being honest
pseud.

but I say I'm a pedophile all the time...that's normal around here.

I didn't state that. If I did, you wouldn't have to make up a quote. Thanks for proving my point.

That's what people on 8ch used to say, look what Google did to their website.

>implying anyone discusses literature here any more

but if straw man posts aren't valid then your original response also isn't valid. I called you a pseud knowing you'd say this.

>le good ol days, amirite?

i have a very low bar

that isn't remotely why 8ch got taken off of search engines. had a lot more to do with human/weapons trafficking and CP.

Who says I shit on posts about books?
A shit opinion is a shit opinion, and I shit on shit posts. So. If you can't handle people being assholes, then go someplace where people aren't assholes all the time. But Veeky Forums is for assholes. I'm pretty sure it's in a terms and service somewhere.
You don't post personal information about anyone you don't want doxxed
You don't use a trip
You don't download anything weird people post
And you don't take anything personal.
That's it. That's Veeky Forums.

>He liked it for its prose, its length, its subject matter.

I saw a movie, I liked it for its number of cuts, its scenery, its soundtrack.
Wew, talk about a fucking vague assesment, did that faggot want a cookie for his marvellously unique insights on 2666?

It's not a strawman, it's speaking from experience. I did the same thing when I was younger. I know the justifications used. Board culture, honest opinions, etc. They've been in use here for the longest time.

I have nothing against mean or cruel derision, but without any backing it's useless. It's just wasted bandwidth.

That's the thing, you unbearable faggot. Why does he HAVE to provide some intellectually rigorous assessment. The dude liked the book, wanted to talk about it. Try to be nicer you pretentious pseud trash.

baseless derision isn't a part of my post any more than a meanness/honesty dichotomy is a part of your post. hence, pseud. grow up.

This sort of behavior is the reason why Veeky Forums is the only board which hasn't been overrun by plebs

/m/ is the only board I'm aware of that's not overrun by plebs and it's for an entirely different reason.

>intellectually rigorous
That's your insecure assumption. Literally any kind of specific observation would be better than the vagueness I described.

>EH I LIKE THE NIGHT WATCH BY REMBRANDT HE STROKE THE BRUSH ON IT VERY GOODLY

Again, senpai, wanna cookie for that? Fucking faggot.

It's not overrun by plebs because no one cares to really post there.

So rather than asking, "what specifically did you like about the painting?" I am supposed to say "fuck you pleb faggot le get off my board."

Sounds very helpful.

no, it's just a genre that's difficult to access and geared towards nostalgiafags ages 25-40. it has about the same activity with less threads than Veeky Forums, as in more actual discussion takes place there.

this place is filled with metaposting shitposter peasants, look at this thread.

>this is an environment that allows brutal honesty to exist
Shut the fuck up, holy shit. I wish sweaty fat nerds like you would just kill yourselves. This "brutal" honesty is just autism, you're a joke. Kill you are self.

>I only know how to argue using straw man arguments

what an honest portrayal of your brutal thoughts.

Do you even know what a strawman argument is, or do you just spend too much time on /pol/?

Please explain the strawman. Also, people who use the names of fallacies for argument's sake are textbook pseuds.

>9755585
I'm too lazy to wrangle butthurt autists for free. if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be arguing with people. do your own homework. not even giving you a (you).

Not him but where in his post does he make a suggestion that you said he gave in order to make his argument look bad? Isn't that a textbook example of a straw man argument?

Really have no idea what you're attempting to say but yeah that was definitely a strawman

Great quote! You should drop these more frequently.

OP you are going to make this thread great again.

samefag

Agree as long as we are able to bash plebs

True. And it takes attention from the worse problem at hand - stormshilling:

>pleb detected

1&2pbp

I totally agree.

About the 'brutal honesty'; You can also get your point across without being a massive prick. And if not, maybe you should try more often.

I agree OP. I respond constructively where I can. In fact, the possibility that I can say something useful is the only thing that prompts me to post. When I say something negative I do so with a degree of openness to make sure I'm not just being an asshole, but I simply don't shitpost. I'm not the only one, don't mistake the
selective posting for absence.

Most of the anons on Veeky Forums interpret even a modicum of respect/propriety for weakness. That's a self-conscious and defensive assessment, and it won't simply go away. All you can do is lead by example.

autism

I totally feel you man. The majority of Veeky Forums has an attitude when asked a question. There's no reason everyone needs to be so rude. I understand the angle of receiving brutal honesty but it doesn't need to be so mean spirited. Most of Veeky Forums would rather circle-jerk about things they know the board hates (milk and honey, John Green) rather than actually putting in the effort to make thoughtful contributions. If you want to see what's wrong with this board look what happens whenever a booktuber is posted. Like seriously what kind of a person just does a witch-hunt like that. Maybe these YouTubers are reviewing YA fiction but who gives a fuck at least they're reading. It's honestly completely pathetic and only speaks for the awfulness these neckbeards hold inside themselves. You'll see a post explaining how Nietzche isn't meant to by everyone and then we get mad at people for reading YA? I generally just ignore the frequent racism, rudeness and sexism that's latent on this board and i really don't believe the existence of these things on this board can be denied. There are posters who feel as we do but honestly I think the anonymity here makes changing this much too much of a challenge. Perhaps there is a better board out there who knows.

i love being able to tell what a newfag someone is when they get caught by the word filter f.a.m.alam

to add to this i would argue that a great deal of the so-called polemics are never done in good faith which is why aruments don't go anywhere because it's about egotistucal point-scoring instead of actually trying to leave the argment with a better understanding

Yeah in agree with this guy. Couldn't have said it better.

Yeah, except "brutal honesty" isn't the problem, nor does it happen. Honesty implies some level of truth or revealing something. But here It's usually derision for derision's sake. "Honesty" is a cop out for being a thick-headed asshole.

Come back when you're 15

Agreed

Based Adolf

i feel you

ffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggg

>And yet, the vast majority of posts are incredibly rude.
Yes, I come here to insult people and discuss science fiction. If you want a circle-jerk you can check out Reddit or Goodreads.

The solution is to ban booktuber threads.

>jordan peterson, and nick land
Those guys appeal to completely different types of people.
You're probably the butt of one of Sam Hyde's better jokes about classes of people who do embarrassing and retarded things but feel no shame despite being retarded.

Hey guys, check out this fag

Post your writing.

in general, the solution is stronger moderation

are you lying to us or contradicting yourself like a retard?

>I generally just ignore the frequent racism, rudeness and sexism
you do not belong on Veeky Forums. stupid nigger faggot.

>wahhhh someone was mean to me gib me safe space
the solution is to grow up.

>virtue signaling
>anonymously

This. Websites exist for what you want already. Why do you want Veeky Forums to be like everything else?

Not what I meant. I think conversations about /pol/ ideologies have a place here, as long as they remain in the general ballpark of literature/philosophy. Total irrelevancies should be removed.

such as this meta-thread?

>science fiction
Literally kill yourself

not him but what do you read?

I'm as interested in a bunch of fragile ego assholes as I am a circlejerk. Both are shit and both are unnecessary.

Assholes who learn a bit of good faith. That's a possibility that only Veeky Forums can provide, as unlikely as that currently stands.

Afraid of the liberal boogeyman. You're not certain enough of yourself so you act certain about everyone else.

>anonymous virtue signalling

Isn't your joke that it's a contradiction in terms? If virtue signalling doesn't work anonymously, perhaps it's not virtue signalling.

>Afraid of the liberal boogeyman.
Afraid of the liberal boogeyman accusing boogeyman because neither of the quoted posts said anything about politics. Grow up and stop bitching because you aren't getting your way.

>Yes, I come here to insult people and discuss science fiction.
>and discuss science fiction.

You insult yourself with this abject plebery.

>I want Veeky Forums to be a place where people are nice to each other
>I know, I'll insult everyone until they are nice to me!

>safe space
>virtue signalling

The use of these terms makes sense of my response to them.

See this is another problem besides the fact that you're being a wanker. You're also not even reading the posts. On a literature forum. Good job.

not him but what do you read?

>safe space + virtue signalling = bipartisan politics
??? grow up, stop relying on straw man arguments.

>wahhhh be nice to me or I'll be mean to you wahhhh
child logic

Only the best.

Literature died after Nael imo. Everything else is puffed-up; ephemeral.

My "insults" are prescriptive admonitions user. I'm happy to discuss them reasonably. Can you honestly not tell the difference? I'm not simply name-calling.

It's a bit sad that you're trying to turn the logic against me. Isn't pointless brutality exactly what you stand for? Surely the "insulting" part of my comments should be the most palatable for you.

Holy shit, the point is that my response was only as political as theirs was. I responded in kind. Get over yourself.

I really hope you don't actually think like you're comments suggest. What are you reading at the moment user? Written anything lately?

>My "insults" are prescriptive admonitions user.

Not that user but it's kinda funny that you're posting lines like this when just last post you were trying to call some other guy a wanker. Really flips a neuron switch.

LITERALLY where is your argument at all? You think meme arrows make you look smart? I have a Masters in Computer Science and had electives in the humanities, kid, what about you? I blasted everyone else in the humanities classes out of the water, with my superior emotional intellect, what about you? I told them and showed them how religion was degenerative, autocratic and the vilest of mankind's creations, what about you? Can you convince anyone of anything?

user you're s-scaring me. Please.

literally nothing but defensive whining in this post. it's obvious you haven't been here more than a month.

you're the one who brought up politics, dude. >your response is just as relevant to unicorns as mine was!!1!
^ this is what you sound like

I want to believe that this rant was a Navy Seal tier bit and not the delusions of an absolute egotist dunce, but ~who knows!~

where is your argument in this post? I only see whining and an embarrassing argument from authority.

>and made to feel like some sort of asshole for finishing a long novel.
I too hate this kind of thing that's become all too common, you spend hours doing something you enjoy and someone dismisses it with a single sentence. Like I get that personal enjoyment is the point but it does not feel good when you try and spread that enjoyment and someone trivializes it.

Anyway, good post, but appealing to people's sense of decency doesn't work on this site. They feel no shame about what they do and they can't be disincentivized by moderation either because there's no punishment on this site.