Catcher in the rye

I'm not american so I just read it recently at the age of 19, what I just don't get is how can people be annoyed by holden and shit on him. If anything I found myself feeling bad for him many times. Yes he tends to repeat the same words and has an "unusual" way of retelling events but that's part of his charachter.
is something wrong with me for identifying with him ? I too think that every one is a phony and hate sluts but I did not rape my little sister
also did he get raped or was he just exaggerating ?

yes

low quality bait

You'll notice that the people who particularly dislike Holden are often angsty and immature young people. Typically they object to his insincerity and cynicism

I just read it too. I really liked it, and I thought Holden was an endearing and funny character.

What do people usually say bad about him? I don't have many Veeky Forums friends so I don't hear book critiques often.

that s exactly what I thought. Fucking phonies man.
people mainly say that he's too whiny and that nothing happens in the novel completly missing out on the point.

>hurr durr look at me look at how miserable I am though I'm a tall, attractive teenager who grew up in a wealthy family

Fucking whiny cunt.

>attractive people can't be sad
Kill yourself

People who don't like Holden bought into the hate-hype

He's a 2-d character who says nothing worth remembering throughout the entire novel.

> looks - check
> money - check

> Well, you must be happy. No reason to ever be sad.

Kek, beta male spotted

I unironically think that if you're not an angsty misanthropic edgelord, then you're probably an uber pleb. Anyone with half a brain shouldn't be in any way intellectually, morally, or existentially satisfied with our culture or human civilization in general.

>ackely boy
>helluva guy
>it killed me
all of this not memorable
Agree desu .No matter how you think about it life is ultimately pointless and cruel .no one asks to be alive and even when you're born if you're not lucky to be in the right environment you're fucked.

He has everything everyone could ask for but he doesn't realize it. He always complain, he never put things in perspective and be grateful for all the things he has. So yes, he's an annoying whiny teenager.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Holden himself is angsty and immature, they should relate to him if anything.

I would have identified with him a couple of years back - actually around your age, huh.

The feeling of not liking other people and at the same time being very alone and alienated, using your intellect as a shield to look down on others, etc, all that stuff. I wouldn't call him a bad person, but immature. Of course, he's pretty fucked up mentally beyond the above things, but I think the book paints him in a sympathetic light - but misguided.

You just got some growing up to do kiddo

I also identified with stoner ( especially his cold relationship with his wife). Do you see any ressemblence between these two charachters or is it just me ?

nice, a successful bait

People with those characteristics don't like to be face to face with a mirror - one of the main points, as mentioned, is Holden's lack of self-awareness and identity. If a person with Holden's characteristics reads the book they probably won't identify with him because they don't have an understanding of themselves strong enough to see themselves in Holden or vice versa.

Same with me when I first read the book ~15 years old. "Why doesn't he just do his schoolwork?" "Why does he have to constantly pretend to be other people?" "He just complains all the time." But all those apply to me at that time as well - I was just too myopic to see that.

Bump for holden is pretty cool

phoebe is my waifu

i think people tend to dislike holden once they grow out of their angsty teen phase and see too much of their old selves in him. once they're older they tend to view him more as some poor, damaged kid.

like yeah, he's an angsty teenager. more than that he's mentally ill. like you don't make fun of a baby for shitting itself, y'know

Absolutely this. As someone who grew up poor and isolated from relatives, I am always wary of people who can't see the opportunities and resources that they have and squander. I didn't despise Holden in hs because I wasn't so angry back then, but I certainly found his behavior confusing.

Most of the book is holden feeling bad for himself

Or maybe some people have concluded that acceptance is the key to mental health and have stopped decreasing the quality of their internal and external life for no discernible benefit? Even if you are concerned about reality and society, it's highly unlikely any criticisms you've come up with so far haven't already been investigated and written about to a greater extent and depth than you can ever conceive of, let alone equal.

Being disaffected only matters if you have the ambition and means to actually do something about it. Otherwise, it's just another form of intellectual masturbation.

is this the conf of dunces edition