I just read this for the first time in years, and I finally "got" it and teared up. Is this Stendhal Syndrome?

I just read this for the first time in years, and I finally "got" it and teared up. Is this Stendhal Syndrome?

Anyone else ever be moved by a children's book?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_and_Toad
youtube.com/watch?v=CKHQuaaZovs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This fucked me up when I read it to my kid. Had to stop because I was crying.

pic related

oh my god ; _;

Nice.
I give myself Stendhal syndrome all the time.

I'm liking the Moomin books.

>Tfw you reread these after having studied the bible

Where is the cat?

My first feels book.

a masterwork in minimalism, and proof that childrens books need not be shit

My mom used to sing this song to me. Fuck.

TAKE THE RIBBON OFF, JENNY

this seems sad 2 me :(

Fucking childrens books gotta be so damn sad! WHAT THE FUCK, WHY.

Winnie The Pooh was the first book I ever read and it was so important to me as a child until it got replaced by LOTR. The last page always made me sad because the book was my only friend, and reading the last page was like watching a friend die.

i remember crying to that part
i didn't have the same relation to wtp specifically but i did live largely in my head and i guess it made me realize how sucky life would become once you grow up and your imagination becomes numbed

aww, what are these books called? 'Frog and Toad'?

yeah, by lobel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_and_Toad

Anyone remember this one?

yes and nice digits

childrens literature. Like a playground full of children who whine like little babies when their papa runs away hiding in bushes and looking like demonds with blazing eyes from the darkness into the souls of all that is standing in front of them, close and far away, eying with suspicion the bush with demon eyes but the children, but the children! Do not take heed! the father screamed and smashed the skull of two children against each other until it started to bleed from there. Insanity. Children make me feel ashamed of myself, the father said to the man in the ward. "I believe you" the wawrd responded and typed in data into a monitor connected to a pc. "I'm not insane" "We are here to help you" the doctor said and looked the man not in the eyes but looked at the monitor connected to a computer. I was once a child too, the man begun. There was water in his eyes, dwelling in it, shards of light, memories lighting the darkness caused by the demon who had taken control of him quite some time ago. The memories floating, drifting through the dark water. Their light reached far, but not beyond the end. There were images of twisted hairs and noses like those of pigs. And there were also bycicle races once. He remembered that. "I remember that i had bycicle races once" the man said and was a bit ashamed. The doctor asked: What kind ofbcyicle races were those? Falling balls and asiren singing from far away. When i will walk backwards, all my problems will be solved. Do not be afraid of stumbling. He stared out of the window and saw himself a million days ago. "Joseph and me." he whispered. "There was more." he answers the whisper. He grows quiet and the doctor after 30 seconds of wait goes back to his computer work. I will go now, he thought and wasn't sure whether the doctor had heard him. I will go back to my room now, e thought and waited for permission. He looked at his fingernails whcih were dirty. There was a little bird playing on the head of the doctor. The father started laughing. the bird was making vulgar gestures at the doctor who was obvlivious and typed like clockworrk HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH he screamed at the doctor and grabbed his throat HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA THE BIRD. the doctor was struggling to fill his lungs with oxygen. His face colour was funny but his eyes looked like a little baby who was scared. "You are a little baby" said the man to the doctor and let him free. He then ran upstairs until he reached the place where the birds flew. They also rested their and sang blues of their adventures in the big city. A bird was talking about kissing woman, and what was important for a woman to be good at kissing. he lectured the younger bird who was willing to learn and carried spark and wit in his young mind. He adressed the man in black who was no longer tired but vivid and aroused. The man was flailing with his arms and thought back to world war 2 when america was great again. I was there too, he responded sharply.

The one that really wrecked me even at a young age involved an act of sacrifice by a very nice character. I think what was (and still is) especially shocking about it is that it's just a sweet little story, not something highly dramatic or with a climactic good-versus-evil battle, like e.g. , but just a nice little story and then WAM the bottom drops out. And the resolution too was light yet unsettling

There are a couple of public service commercials I see on a Saturday morning that convey the same thing. Very difficult feels

>yfw Christopher Robin died somewhere in France in '44

tl;dr

>and kids gave him so much shit about it when in school that it led to rift between he and his dad, etc. he was almost always miserable.

First comment has me thinking of The Happy Prince and The Giving Tree. That stump....

shit prose desu

Whats this winnie the pooh book specifically called?

I'm reluctant to share something so meaningful to me on this site, even anonymously, but it's this one. I don't think I could even say the title out loud without choking up. Look at that happy face

The House at Pooh Corner

I've actually never read The Giving Tree and in fact I have no intention to since it sounds like it would destroy me

I'm gonna look into this, and regardless if I don't find it as impacting, I will be glad you shared it and respect and appreciate your reverence for it.

Is this the book where he forgets to make a path?

Reading it to a three year old who loves it without knowing why and asks questions like 'Is the tree really happy?' is painful, yes. He's too young for The Happy Prince.

>kids mom cucks kids dad
>kid sees them do this
>hates his mom
>ashamed of his dad
>meanwhile, death is literally breathing down his neck

Wonderful and bittersweet. I feel like it's a story about death, or the promise of death. I don't know what it is, but many of these children's books deal with retirement/death in a such a meaningful way. It's always implicit. The Pied Piper is one of the canonical examples of this.

When I finish reading, I always arrive at the question of "What happens after the end of the book? Do they escape the inevitable?" Things can't ever return to the happy situation that we saw on page one, although you can arrive at a different happy situation. These books teach you that you can never go back and undo things. Sure, you can "go back" by starting again (and again) from page one, but the progression of the story is inevitable and immutable.
So you walk away from the book with a sense of mortality, but also fulfillment. I believe people feel fulfilled when they're aware that they themselves are a small part of something overwhelmingly large in comparison, and that something in this case is the phenomenon of death, which swallows up every little human thing.

me too user, I randomly came across it in my parents garage a few months ago made me tear up thinking of my mom's sweet voice reading this while I fell asleep

Thank you for this response user, it means a lot

That's correct. This thread has reminded me that that character is one of the more significant ones to me from lit. Also it was ultimately the man's fault in the first place

These kinds of books are far more meaningful than they're given credit for. There are films and TV shows like that too

Veeky Forums needs to make an essential children's book chart.

Starting with this one preferably

Fuckin' eh, legendary book. Also, moose meat is delicious.

This

I can't stand the giving tree and I can't understand why it's so meaningful to people. To me it's just the tale of a narcissistic asshole who destroys another creature. I'm not particularly edgy, either, I cried at the end of Charlotte's Web and watership down, and nearly every kids movie I ever watched with my kid including the goddamn Lego Batman movie.

Yes, very very much so. I just read this yesterday and i it feels so surreal. I can feel how it has had an important role in the formation of my psyche, and by page 30 i was tearing up.

what the FUCK happened here

>narcissistic asshole
that's everyman, dude. and that tree's the natural world. the book's about dreaming, scheming and believing the hype. it's also about the inevitable.
if it doesn't yield happiness, it does yield love. that many-splendored albeit painful thing. also, it's far more realistic than Charlotte's Web, much as i like that book.

>tfw my imagination numbed when I was like 12 years old and I haven't been able to imagine or enjoy reading since

Jesus fuck this makes me sad.

What? Milne's son lived until 1996 though.

I always imagine Christopher Robin as a stereotypical non-specific british lad lying facedown in the sand at dunkirk, with a yellow bear half out of his backpack.

Really? I always imagined him as an old, grizzled vet hatefully glaring at the little shits that took everything he lost his legs (and his friends' lives) for granted and squander their lives on frivolous, useless shit.

Rarely are images of death that adorable, user.

what the f*ck is wrong with you

I don't even remember reading this book, when I might have read it or anything, all I know is that I was young and it broke my fucking heart.

Tried reading to my daughter. It was a slow burn.

And then as the camera pans away upwards you see the dead and dying and far away, beyond the waves "deep in the hundred acre wood, where christopher robin plays..."

that's definitely Leopold Bloom and his pussens

Indeed, something like that. The image put me in mind of just how privledged the reader's position is. In grammar there are 3 persons both singular and plural when Number is discussed. But the reader (like the angels in heaven) occupies a kind of abstract or 0th position with respect to what is being read (or seen). Who doesn't fold their hands and catch their breath when knowing the history of the all but nameless young man bled to death and face down on the sands of Dunkirk with a broken heart and a little stuffed animal hanging out of his pack? That child is immediately scooped up by the angels of one's imagination and filed away with Arthur on the happier shores of Avalon.
Granted, one is being worked on by what T.S. Eliot termed the objective correlative, but so what. One cannot help a kind of (beautifully hopeless) need to be of assistance.

[Return to Pooh Corner plays in the distance]

I feel pity for your poor kid

Should be made illegal tbqh

Happy endings are mandatory

This one always gets me famalam

bump

Fuck user i didnt ask for this feel
Im suck a dick to my mother,she used to read this to me

i feel pity for your poor mother

I don't cry because I have autism.

WTF I just had a feeling

This. My voice breaks and eyes start to water at the end of the first story. No idea why, there's nothing actually wrong. Its that Poet magic.

im never going to reread this. read it when i was 8, read it again when i was 16. never again

posting my all time favorite greentext

Oh, if anybody wants the feels of childhood in an adult cartoon, watch The Plague Dogs.

I see it's currently on Youtube (that may not last): youtube.com/watch?v=CKHQuaaZovs

Bonus points: If you want to destroy some kid's life, get them to watch it with you.

It's really good, though. If it's not quite a masterpiece, it comes pretty close. And it *does* have a happy ending :^)

I just read The Giving Tree the other day and I genuinely nearly cried, OP.

I agree, user. Did you see the Ghibli film? Watched it with my mother and we both cried.

Agreed, user. The Plague Dogs will fuck you up with how glorious that ending is

Made me hug my dog and not let go when he was alive ;_;

Read this and listen to Sun Kil Moon's I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love and it's basically suicide.

This is a blessed thread.

I ordered this for my mom a few days ago. She would read it to me all the time. She's probably still crying.

WHAT FUCKING BOOK IS THIS? I HAD THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS A KID AND I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR IT FOR 15 FUCKING YEARS

me and my brother used to watch the movie all the time

Wow that's very sweet, user. Very cute.
If your mom was good to you, you should be good to her too.

bump

Aw, this is sweet, user. Your mother is lucky to have you.

I read The Neverending Story for the first time two years ago and I teared up when Atreyu and Bastion met and again in the penultimate chapter with the motherly tree spirit, but I don't remember what affected me so much.

That's the classic, all right.
Apparently kids think that the last page is funny, and parents have trouble keeping it together.

Sharing this classic