CS Peirce

many say he was the only American philosopher that was worth anything, i.e the greatest american philosopher

why?

"Many"

I guess you went to his descendants house

He's not

Because he taught and strongly influenced John Maynard Keynes (I think).

Nvm that was GE Moore

well he is the founder of pragmatism, which is the only original american philosophical tradition

what did Quine do?

Charles "Purse" Pierce was a bumbling idiot who created a pile of shit that James made worthwhile.

is this true?

Even if we take this as given..

Peirce's contributions in mathematical logic (Preceding Frege on many developments)

being the co-founder of Semiotics among many other things already puts him as one of the greats

Inexhaustive list of shit Peirce started: logic gates in electronics, pragmatism, semiotics, abductive reasoning, division of corollarial and theorematic deduction, mathematics of logic, 20th century philosophy of language, mathematics and logic, classification of the sciences.

He was a reinassance man involved also in statistics, spectroscopy, gravimetry, geodesy, chemistry, and experimental psychology.

He was certainly great but only cucked liberal retards completely ignorant of the field of philosophy would think he's the only one. They probably study literature or critical theory or other bullshit for people too stupid for the rigors of academic philosophy.

Hmm pierce seems more analytical than continental though

Pragmatism is its own tradition.

"Cucked liberal retards" wouldn't know the first thing about him, should they ever encounter semiotics it'd be through Saussure, the other co-founder of the field.

Gosh the people in this thread have such a limited appreciation for the vastness of American philosophers.

Essentially ended logical positivism and the analytic/synthetic distinction.

Quine was the heir to the logical positivist tradition and his critique of the analytic/synthetic tradition was underwritten by his naturalism in general and his behaviorism about psychology and linguistics in particular. Don't pretend like he paved the way to the Frankenstein's monster that is contemporary analytic philosophy. Rationalistic mysticism should have stayed dead in the Anglosphere.

So not including the pragmatists or the transcendentalists the best American philosopher is who...... quine? Sellers ?

Durr if ya say so

you sound so spooked, m8

cause they don't know shit and have a taste for picture books

wrong

I mean he isn't so the question doesn't even matter?