Is Toni Morrison on the same level as Joyce

yes or no and explain why?

No, but I like Morrison. To my knowledge, she hasn't written anything with the scope or ambition of Ulysses (not to mention Finnegans Wake altho I'm too stupid for that book). Also her novels are thematically more narrow. Also her writing is not as good in my opinion.

She is not even the greatest american writer of all time (that title goes to Melville)

simply, her writing isn't as good

Apples, oranges.
Stop making everything a fucking competition

Go away.

>She is not even the greatest american writer of all time (that title goes to Melville)
I didn't say she was, just that I like her. I agree with you its between Melville and Faulkner for me. Even for American woman writers, I prefer O'Connor, for example.

WE

there is only one book that matches if not surpasses the ambition of Ulysses

sorry I didn't mean to respond to you

but just in general

WUZ

NIGGERS

I just read Song of Solomon and really loved it.

PREZIDENT NOW not kangz dumbass

Cmon, her Nobel was a diversity award, she's just an average "history of my people" writer, as are most nobels except Bobby's which is a kike award. I've nothing against her, she's actually an enjoyable read, but she's no Joyce

>she's just an average "history of my people" writer

not sure if ironic or doesn't understand that joyce is also an "ethnic" writer

Except Joyce isn't average.

Yes. Actually, all of Joyce's works were written by a black lesbian trans poor woman from Africa. They don't teach you those things at school though, because the white man is evil

If you read any of her interviews she never shuts the fuck up about Joyce. she obviously idolizes him for his craftsmanship and sentence structure.
She would probably be very uncomfortable with the idea of being compared to him

When we say Joyce is better than Morrison arnt we judging that on Eurocentric ideas of literature?

Please go back

>comparing a late 20th century magical realist and realist to an early 20th century modernist, avant-garde absurdist

Yes.

Apples and oranges.

no

Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Joyce be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Melville be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Milton be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Shakespeare be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Chaucer be uncomfortable being compared to?

>yes or no
no
>and explain why?
no eyepatch desu

>Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to?

David Foster Wallace

I think it's much more accurate to compare her to Woolf, given how ridiculously anal both are about sentence structure

I thought about writing DFW, but I decided against it. It would be the other way around, since DFW can't hold a candle to Pynchon. No offense, DFW fans, but Pynchon is just so good that he's better than DFW.

>Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to?
Faulkner
>Who would Joyce be uncomfortable being compared to?
Vico
>Who would Melville be uncomfortable being compared to?
Bartleby
>Who would Milton be uncomfortable being compared to?
Homer
>Who would Shakespeare be uncomfortable being compared to?
Your mother
>Who would Chaucer be uncomfortable being compared to?
Boccacio

It's not apples to oranges

And stop pretending you can't compare/contrast apples and oranges

Yes
It is. You like Joyce's writing better for reasons, you like apples better for reasons. Not invalid reasons, not superior reasons.

However, if someone were to ask "Is Taolin on the same level as Joyce" the answer becomes comparing apples to rotten grapes.