Arab philosophy

Have you read any arab philosophy, Veeky Forums?

I would be interested in an overview of Arab thought

I don't have the time to read the originals

Al-Farabi's The Attainment of Happiness, Al-Ghazali's The Incoherence of Philosophers, Avicenna's The Book of Healing, Sohrevardi's The Book of Radiance, and Averroes' The Incoherence of Incoherence provide the best summary of Medieval Arabian philosophy.

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading some of Plato's, the Neoplatonic's and Aristotle's works, because these philosophers were heavily inspired by Hellenic thought, especially regarding their Theology I.e. The One, and Logic. Read Plato's The Republic, Timaeus, Phaedo, and Parmenides; Aristotle's Organon (essential), Ethics, Physics, Metaphysics, and On the Soul; Plotinus's The Enneads, and then Procleus's Elements of Theology and Theology of Plato. You'll be much happier for doing so.

>Arabs
>Philosophy
Pick one.

does Rumi count?
I love Rumi

i read Ibn Arabi sometimes
Good stuff

philosophy

>Al-Ghazali's The Incoherence of Philosophers
Why read the guy that killed the Falsafah?

kek

Arabs

>Arab Philosophy
>All Persians

I read Averroes Ibn Rushd: His Life, Works and Influence for a mid east Veeky Forumstory paper in undergrad that I thought covered the man, his context and his work very well. Great primer on medieval metaphysics.

To understand his arguments before reading The Incoherence of the Incoherence.

I'm really more into African philosophy.

This thread had potential >:(

Yeah, jubran khalil jubran is great desu
Edward said too

I hope someone else will find this useful but as I said I don't have the time for original works
I would prefer an overview, summaries, in one book and could then decide to go for the original work if I want to know more

I've only read the hayy ibn yaqzan, which was amazing, and a few excerpts of Averroes, i'd like to read more some time.

weak b8

muthafucka averreos dont even know of plays, niBBa just look at children in the street

You need to straighten yourself out bucko - Jordan Peterson

this I guess

Its basically pointless most of it is just rehashing of greek and roman philosophy, while adding a tad of islamic ideology.

heeeey I read that book too, for a 4th yar seminar on Arabic Philosophy.

I've read some Averroes, Avicenna and Ghazali. It's pretty interesting how they came up with a lot of shit that Europeans mostly get credit for.

kys

I don't need my Greeks to be sand filtered desu.

Arab philosophy is underrated as hell, and their influence on middle Christian philosophy is often far too understated. We don't get Aquinas without Averroes.

what's it like being a middle aged housewife thinking herself more cultured than her neighbour housewives?

Only through secondary sources but I'm interested in learning more.

I will not let you erase all Greek Dhimmis like this!

Because he's a fresher thinker. Boohoo, Descartes and Gauss killed Euclid too. Stop wanking over classical thought.