What is the single greatest work of atheist literature?

What is the single greatest work of atheist literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

jstor.org/stable/10.2979/jmodelite.34.2.196?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>atheist

'The Grand Inquisitor'

In Search of Lost Time.

My diary desu

Read Nietzsche.

Skip the Nu-Atheists like Dawkins and Harris.

The only one worth reading from that lot is Chris Hitchens. But even with him you should understand that his book is a work of popular literature intended for a large audience, not really a serious philosophical tome.

Phenomenology of Spirit

Also, you should forget all this atheism nonsense and work on finding God instead. All decent intellectuals should be at least agnostic.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a decent entry level book that should at least humble you in terms of what we don't know about existence.

This is a surprising pick.

>kneechee

True. And it's fine if a book has popular appeal, I'm not necessarily interested in apologists like Dawkins or Hitchens. Just a work that is representative of atheism, whatever that means to (You).

I am this guy. I'm good. I'm just interested in knowing the great works that atheism has inspired or that may represent atheism, or just good works in general. So far I've gotten beautiful recommendations.

Good one! George Billy-Fred Hegel really took the wonder out of life by dissecting experience.

I meant popular as sort of a comment on it's level of seriousness. I think if you are looking for strong usable arguments for atheism you should look elsewhere is what I'm getting at.

>You should read books written by literal genre fiction authors to know bluepill yourself into being a believer.

This is really clever user.

Please stop using pill memes

probably one of these desu

replace("bluepill", "delude")

You realize that the rest of the book is basically a refutation of this argument, right?

Christopher Hitchens is not worth reading, if you're interested in arguments against theism created by actual intelligent atheists, read Graham Oppy and William Rowe.

Yes, precisely. Zossima's life story that follows is especially powerful, not least because it's a character's actual experience as opposed to Ivan's fable. Also with Ivan is his breakdown of course

De rerum natura

Future of an Illusion

Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World.

To what extent do you think these works were inspired by desperate mortal terror? Sagan, especially. A fear of mortality, of discomfort, of impermanence. They exist to convince the reader that God or the supernatural is false, or at best unnecessary. This really shakes my peach basket.

>Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a decent entry level book that should at least humble you in terms of what we don't know about existence.
Yeah, his crappy reasoning has done wonders for undermining religion.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

Suprized someone didn't say it already.

>All decent intellectuals should be at least agnostic.
I don't think you know what agnostic really means.

Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood.

Not a joke, by the way. Really exposes the essence of atheism in my opinion.

?

Joyce was not an atheist.

Stephen Dedalus was atheistic and Joyce's literary alter-ego, he certainly wasn't a Theist.

>Read Neetchee
Then will I finally understand what truth really is?

Why did that get formatted into a Rupi Kaur poem?

>ctrl+f "Ulysses"
>0 of 0 results

You faggots. The whole point of the book is about Bloom and Stephen struggling to break free of the constraints placed upon them by others, and God is one of the most prominent others. They even have a talk about it together, towards the end when they've met up.

I've never read it.

Harry Potter

James Joyce was born and raised a Catholic, he then converted to Orthodox and even frequented the Church. What the heck are you talking about? Don't try to shove your atheism garbage into real works of arts that doesn't have anything to do with that subject.

I'd wager Ulysses is a truer work of atheism (while Joyce was conflicted with the church mind you) It highlights a Godless Dublin and a conflicted Dublin

See

Every true work of art was actually authored by an atheist

WE

Wasn't that quote inscribed by a prisoner at Auschwitz?

What a self centred asshole thinks he's worthy enough to write that on facebook

>implying Auschwitz happened
FAKE NEWS

jstor.org/stable/10.2979/jmodelite.34.2.196?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

The Quran.