Just read this meme. It was great

Just read this meme. It was great.

Wondering what is the equivalent book for Norse Mythology?

I want an encyclopedic type overview of general Norse mythos.

I want to accomplish two things.

1. Better debate edgy varg-posters.
2. Gain wisdom from the superstiotions of my ancestors.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/0241953219
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Wondering what is the equivalent book for Norse Mythology?
Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Did you read it? It really skimps on the Norse Mythology. Barely had two chapters iirc.

Honest question: Do you think Edith Hamilton - as a women - honestly grasps mythology as well as a white man? Why would you pick her her book over more intellectual choices?
Are you a women or a liberal?

Read the Eddas

The Norse Myths by Kevin Crossley-Holland

Is this level of ideology real?

>Dumézil
Your only man..

Are you a highschool sophmore

/thread

Read your Snorri.

i am a misogynist and i like her book, it serves its purpose just fine, if you want to go further it also gives the sources you can use, if you want even more you should not try do search it in a introduction tier book

is this your summer reading

You are actively validating letting women have a right to self-determination by pretending like Hamilton's book is valuable to society. If you were genuinely a misogynist, and wanted to make the world a better place, you'd never acknowledge it's existence and much less praise it. Women shouldn't be writing books except maybe cook books

It was great. Nice general overview of greek myths. The author was great, knowledgeable and even had a sense of humor here and there.

Kinda hoping for an intro book before I jump right in.

Thank you I'll check it out.

>Dumézil
Does he have a general overview book?

It was reccomended to me by Veeky Forums

Oh, wow.
What a coincidence : )

Gods of the Ancient Northmen by Georges Dumézil

I'm going to go through the Greek chart, decided to get Gods and Heroes of the Greeks instead of Mythology because it's a primary source from Apollodorus, translated by Michael Simpson. Do you think that was a good idea? I thought it would be since I've heard scholars rarely even read secondary sources, but I'm an autodidact, not a scholar.

Go ahead. But if ye olden primary sources is what interests you, you'd start with Homer and Hesiod. In their works they tell a story AND their own collection of myths through it.

i've read it years ago

i am not that sophisticated, i hate women for what they are, i don't have an agenda and i don't think i am capable of changing they or society

The main purpose of reading something like Hamilton before actually starting with the Greeks is to fill in any gaps in your knowledge of Greek mythology so that it is easier to read actual Greek works with less confusion. It's not actually that necessary, especially if you grew up in the western world where you presumably are fairly familiar with Greek myths on some level, so it doesn't really matter if you are reading something that isn't Hamilton that serves a similar purpose.

> I've heard scholars rarely even read secondary sources
Whoever told you this is an idiot. Although Hamilton isn't really a scholarly/academic secondary source, so in that context I suppose it's somewhat true.

>i don't have an agenda and i don't think i am capable of changing they or society
The white race is being genocided because of people like you. Join the cause on /pol/ or /r9k/ to restore white civilization and getting women back to being subservient to their white masters.

i am not even white

You're a dork

The Eddas are the intro book, fool.

try bulfinch

best translation?

Prose Edda is a decent introduction though so I think it's even less necessary to read secondary sources for the Norse books. But it doesn't hurt

thanks

The sons of ham shall find no quarter on this board. BEGONE!

Women are actually good with monthly and folk stories if they are not shit libs.

Women used to tell these stories to the kids

If you are getting into the metaphysics yeah you need a white man

Anyone have PDF or epub link?

This

amazon.com/dp/0241953219

anyone read this?

OP here. I also want opinions on this book.

I just read some reviews on reddit. apparently it's a stylized version of the Edda. Like Gay-man injects his own bullshit into the story to make it more palatable to plebs. AVOID

meme shit

Shit for brains

It's so bad, fuck neil gaiman

>Gay-man injects his own bullshit into the story
So normal paganism mythology then?

>neil gaymen

didnt even know she was a woman until right now desu
its irrelevant

Lazy bait, clearly hasn't even read the book.

Crossley-Holland is better

>judgements based on sex
>not on the work
>doesn't provide a superior alternative
>in other words, groundless speculations rooted in prejudice

You are a pseud.

Christianity is no better, church and preachers don't always practice what they preach user, some times the old ways are better

>Hamilton
>not Bibliotheca
it's like you want western bias

>translation

pls don't

I unironially liked Andy Orchard

>as a women
>frog poster

when will this meme end?

>Wondering what is the equivalent book for Norse Mythology?
Gro Steinsland: Norron religion; Myter, riter, samfunn. If you can find an English Translation.

The poetic Edda doesn't translate. The best you can do is read about it.

English translation: Ideology and Power in the Viking and Middle Ages (Northern World)
ISBN: 9004205063

I haven't read it but think you should read something that comes out of Scandinavia. They have a more neutral view of Norse society than some American viking-enthusiast, and would present you with both accurate and critical views.

Although, be aware that anything that comes out of the university of Oslo is going to hold a leftist bias. Norse mythology is very controversial. Any Norwegian Scholar would have a motive for discrediting Nazism.

>English translation
Ahh, it was the wrong book. Don't read it.