Critical/analytic reading

how can I start reading books more like a critic? I can never tell exactly why I enjoyed a book. for instance the divine comedy and ulysses, I loved both, they are my favorite books so far, and if someone asks me to tell why I like them, I have no answer...does it come with more "reading experience", or are there specific books that can help? (its not really about knowing what to tell people, that was just an example, its more about more reading quality and experience)

*I am starting with the greeks, am on sophocles

help

Try going to school, faggot.

thanks for the bump friend

You sound like a fag just reading books and thinking they are good because everyone says they are good. Did you honestly enjoy those books or are you pretending? If you can't explain what you like about it then I think you are lying to yourself.

I don't really have an answer for you but you've made a mistake asking a serious question on lit. Most of the people who post here don't even read. 9/10 threads seeking to actually discuss literature are filled with insults by morons who read 2 books a year and thrive on the false sense of superiority they get by pretending to be well read.

You don't have to be a critic. Just try to notice when you're blown away and then spend time looking at how the text blows you away. If you're such a basic ignorant bitch that you can't figure it out, then read a good book like The Art of Fiction by David Lodge and then return to identify common literary devices.

you think there is it even possible to get through ulysses just to tell someone I did? I would just not read it and say I did anywas...I read it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I had several good laughs, and when I was finished penelope, it was the best feeling I have ever felt reading a book (finished it with a boner by the way). didn't even feel like I just read a book, felt like a completely different experience. I felt like I never had such connections with the characters of a book (don't know if it was the monologues and/or stream of consciousness) specially dedalus and molly, and also I felt I knew what it was to walk in the streets of dublin.

and for the first time I felt, when I finished it, the need to read it all over again. I am holding up a bit, and currently re-reading the divine comedy, later on will re-read portrait and ulysses as well.

>reading books and thinking they are good because everyone says they are good.
I read plenty of books on my own taste, books that are not mentioned here or anywhere else really (mostly classic national books)

>Just try to notice when you're blown away and then spend time looking at how the text blows you away
I will try to do that. to be honest I have never re-read a good work of literature, and the first read is always superficial. probably the next time I read ulysses or any other book, I will start taking notes and taking my time to read it more carefully.

sad

So you just explained what you liked about it. Why was that so hard?

If you really want to start with the Greeks, read Aristotle's Poetics. It's pretty estranged from contemporary literary criticism, but it can give you a very basic idea of what it is. From there, look at some fundamental texts from different critical schools.

its on my list

bump

Don't do it, it'll ruin your enjoyment of books.

you'll be one of the smartest people on this board if you read everything in here and give at least a paragraph for each question. It'll take a few months, maybe a year if you're thorough. Once you're finished you'll realize how little work has actually been done

got a link per chance? checked the usual spots.

Didn't you just solve your own problem? You don't have to say in fancy words why you liked it, what you said now is all you have to say. You know exactly why you liked it

You have to read a lot. Just keep reading, read for 10 years. Come back after reading as much as possible for 10 years and with your experience you will probably be able to quantify your aesthetic appreciation. You are just a noob.

Stop going here btw, this place is for fags. Just keep reading and never visit this place again.

>making literature matter
>making the patrician proletarian
>turning gold into lead

Take notes when you read. When you're done reading review your notes and try to expand them into an essay. It's hard and your first essays will be shit but if you keep doing it you'll get better.

>why I enjoyed a book
Do you want to do critical/analytic reading or write reviews?

what a wise, venerable looking man