Was anyone else reading this? It ended recently. What did you think of it?

Not literature.
go to /co/

What was it?

Jon Bois typifies my contempt of internet culture

It is neither comic or cartoon.

It is written text with a handful of images thrown in, and sometimes a video.

Pioneer 9 satellite is woken up in the year 17776 by Pioneer 10 and the Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE) Sattelite. All three have somehow attained sentience after 15,000 years in space.

Turns out on April 4th, 2026 everyone on earth stopped dying. On that same day, new people stopped being born. Kids would age until they hit there prime and then stop. The elderly would deage until they hit there prime and stop.

This is the story of three satellites observing a human race which is now confronted with eternity through the lens of America's most popular pass time: Football.

Or at least what football has become after 15,000 years of the same people inhabiting Earth.

I read the first couple parts and liked the idea and design but the writing really bored me. He should work with someone on his next project.

If it uses images to advance a narrative he it's not Veeky Forums

>Uses images to advance the narrative
>Not Lit

Pack it in guys, literature isn't allowed to use images ever.

Goodbye every fantasy novel with a map.

So long Lewis Carol

RIP any fucking book that bothers to illustrate a diagram, chart, document or scene.

Your view of literature is incredibly narrow minded.

>he's upset his gay internet meme series isn't Veeky Forums
Really makes me think

>gay
What?
>Internet meme
Since when is a shot story a meme?

I actually really liked it. It was quite a refreshing break from all the untranslated Russian literature I've been making my way through. It's a different sort of idea and the use of different media made it a lot more interesting. Did remind me a little of Homestuck, to be honest.

Having a map included in the book is not advancing a narrative. You could remove the map from the book and the narrative wouldn't be altered. Also, the images in Lewis Carol's works were just illustration. You can get many editions without them.

Literature is solely text. The inclusion of a another medium to the narrative transforms it into something else. Comic books and graphic novels are not literature, song lyrics are also not poetry, they can be poetic, but poetry relies solely on the rhythm and rhyme within the text. Poetry recitals that include music fall under drama, they're the own hybrid.

I wish people would stop comparing it to homestuck.

It's nowhere near the same in presentation or format.

>Maps don't advance a narrative
>Literally provide context for the entire fucking setting.and help the reader to process the narrative.

Okay.

That's true, style-wise it's very different. I suppose it was more the characters and plot (?) ideas that reminded me of it.

You're either dense or stupid. You can include a map of Greece and Anatolia in the Iliad and it would change absolutely nothing in the narrative. You can exclude the map of Middle Earth form LotR and the narrative wouldn't change. It may help readers understand, but it's not necessarily. I can provide with a map of Oregon and give you a story set within the limits of the map, but I could just as well not give the map and the story remains the same.

Advancing a narrative means that there's something in the images or maps that isn't expressed or described in the text.

>You can include a map of Greece and Anatolia in the Iliad and it would change absolutely nothing in the narrative.

Correct. Because those are real world places that people already have a general idea of where the fuck they are.

> You can exclude the map of Middle Earth form LotR and the narrative wouldn't change

Technically correct but helping the reader to understand the narrative counts as advancing the narrative. Most people call this kind of advancement "Exposition"

Controversial Opinion: Where the Wild Things Are is literature.

As someone who has read Homestuck, I thought it was a little awkward how many cues it took from an 8 year old webcomic. If you've read both, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, the author seems to try making a statement about people and society, but it's one that I don't necessarily believe. I thought it would build up to something, but it ended very abruptly, without anything particularly intelligent to say.

The ending was definitely the weakest part. All that build up but all the best payoffs were mid story rather than at the end.

>Technically correct but helping the reader to understand the narrative counts as advancing the narrative.
Not it's not. You might as well include the Sparknotes of a book as part of its narrative as well. If you include a summary or a essay of the book in it it also provides the reader with a way to better understand the narrative it's still seperate from it. So is a map.

>Most people call this kind of advancement "Exposition"
No they don't. You may want to read a definition of the word exposition. First of all, exposition is found in the text.

It was interesting. A little too short to be anything more than that, and to be honest some fat could have been trimmed, but it was interesting. I liked it overall.

That being said, it was preachy as fuck at times. You better fucking be ready for paragraphs upon paragraphs about how capitalism is evil, climate change is absolutely a thing and anyone who argues it is a moron, and the gender binary (the author actually edited a line referring to the main character as a "she").

A lot of the satellite dialogue was completely insufferable, too. I hate characters that talk in all lowercase because the author thinks it's cool. It just makes it harder to read. JUICE would have been a far better character if the guy used proper punctuation.

I liked it overall, but it had it's ups and downs. I don't think I'll read it again.

>who is WG Sebald.

>literature can only be....

wrong.

Take your William Blake thread back to /co/, faggot.

bump

Removing the map from tolkiens works would be ridiculous

It was definitely creative.

But the fact that it's associated with "weird twitter" gave it a vibe I didn't enjoy. Those assholes don't know when to stop beating a dead horse.

you can just say black twitter user, it's okay

Weird twitter isn't black twitter.

>literature can only be wrong.
really made me think

But is frog twitter also weird twitter?

>>But the fact that it's associated with "weird twitter" gave it a vibe I didn't enjoy.
I agree, The author seems like a bit of a smug dick, too.

>poetry relies solely on the rhythm and rhyme within the text

wow someone listened too much to their 80 year old undergrad writing professors instead of actually innovating their writing