What's the booka equivalent of Birthday Song by 2Chainz?

What's the booka equivalent of Birthday Song by 2Chainz?

youtube.com/watch?v=Y34jC4I1m70

being illiterate

The Great Gatsby. Focused on opulence, getting a big booty hoe, and cars. Throughout the video you see men dissatisfied or uninterested in women but the lyrics reference the unattainable ideal woman.

Black and African "Literature"

Do rappers actually consider this stuff and work hard on adding themes and other literary elements to their works?

Not all of them do but there's a big culture of those who do. Lil Yachty or Chief Keef certainly aren't (Yachty didn't know Minnesota was cold and then wrote a song about it when someone told him) but artists like MF DOOM, A Tribe Called Quest, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole, and even the Wu-Tang Clan either directly or implicitly discuss complex themes, make literary references, and making artistically complete albums. Currently, a lot of focus has shifted to more pop-y, beat driven rap where the rapper's voice takes precedence over lyrical content but there's still an active culture of lyrical rap.

Not true desu. People like those you mentioned are 'woke' which basically means that they are pseuds that think there's an inherent value in their music, when in reality, SHOW ME SOMETHING NATURAL LIKE ASS WITH SOME STRETCH MARKS is really their general intellectual level. They're all Hopsin.

There's a clear difference between the level of critical thinking MF DOOM puts into his music and Lil Uzi. I'm saying some artists consider the content of their lyrics and add themes but the execution and content can be debatable. In general, most popular musical artists are, at best, psueds and I don't think it's endemic to rap.

Well, actually, Lil Uzi is an extremely bad example. His best song (imo) has him talking about his relationship and the violent breakup of it and how the only comfort he has left is money after even some of his close friends picked her side rather than his in the nasty breakup.

He actually talks about his feelings, and that's more than quite a lot of rappers do.

Any book from DFW.

The younger generation is doing a better job at presenting themselves as human rather than indomitable figures of machismo. Uzi, Yung Lean, Earl Sweatshirt, and Jonwayne all get in their feels while DRAM, Yachty, and Kyle aren't opposed to having fun and being silly. Both are good developments imo.

wow so deep.
Fuck off.

God, watching this reminds me of how normalized this is in our cultures. This is not what being human means, this is a disgrace, people who listen to this need to be shot dead.

>yet another thread that takes any good will towards /mu/ and tears it the fuck apart trying to legitimize mainstream rap music as somehow worthwhile in any cultural or moral sense

yes yes, we all know that you love to hear black men like myself talk about fucking your old lady in hexameter.

>black men like myself
stop LARPing

>muh feelings
well, discussing feelings is certainly one step towards being a mature adult, but we all know here on Veeky Forums, that literally no one wants or appreciates a work or analysis based on emotion, it's quite literally the bottom of the meme barrel and why we laugh at booktubers.
>i didn't like the character because he did things that were cruel
>i didn't like the book because events therein made me feel a certain way
etc.

>pucci ass white boy ate all up inside that a based black man not only frequents Veeky Forums, but is likely one of his favorite contributors to the site

first post best post

hip-hop is for low iq people

>being anything but a white male on Veeky Forums

As opposed to MF Doom, Kendrick Lamar and J Cole? Yes.

>Captcha is 'pick all the basketball caps'

>"Trap is culturally relevant because it illuminates the socio-economic disparity between blacks and whites"

If all Trap serves to do is to say how awful it sucks being poor, wow. How novel! It's not like white people haven't known poverty sucks for centuries. Les Miserable! I mean, at least we aren't only about vice, comprehend on average a few thousand more words, and have been dominant in philosophy. Nick Land was right, blacks have a lower inherent intellect if Trap is supposed to be the best expressive medium they have.

>insinuating that he passes the one drop rule
oh my alabaster sweetie, how difficult it must be for you to compete with the dicks of donkeys when mating season arrives in your suburb.

you kids are fucked up

The only trap artists in this thread have been used as bad examples. Stop creating strawmen.

I love how almost any thread can be turned into a Nick Land thread, if only the others would listen and take head.

How is that creating strawmen? Hip-hop, Trap, Rap, all of it is shit tier art at best. I remember when critics wen't on about how straight outta compton should have gotten an oscar. HAHA The song in the commercial has a verse about beating women. It's cultural degradation via pathos driven, anti-intellectual art.

Bitch, sit down!

While I agree that Kendrick's artistry is overblown, almost all of his music other than HUMBLE has more literary merit. Element and Alright at least ostensibly have something interesting to say about the black experience in ghettoes

>YT btfo

Got something better to say, "Move out."

Talking about how hard it is to be black does not require intelligence or literary ability in any respect whatsoever. In fact, it requires a certain amount of stupidity and a lack of self-awareness

Why is there no black James Joyce or black Nietzsche? Because black people aren't smart enough to look inward critically. There's never sincere self-criticism in James Baldwin or Toni Morrison; ultimately black incompetence is somebody else's fault and black identity is celebrated instead of repudiated.

Kendrick Lamar has nothing interesting to say about the black experience, he's just another apologist for mediocrity

why do feminists hate male virgin beardneck nerds who dont have sex more than they hate these "musicians"?