>no pronounced kuh-nife

>white
>not pronounced huwite

>hyperbole
>not pronounced hyperbowl

There's a y at the end of the word, retard

yacht
not pronounced JA-cht

why people in america say corps, as in marine corps , "chore"?

>hyperbole
>not pronounce hyper-bowl

they say core, not 'chore'

French word.

because it comes from the French

english pronunciation is all fucked up and gay

>playdough
It's Plah-ton
>erisdoddle
It's Ah-ris-tot-uh-less
>sockrat tease
It's soh-krah-tess
>A QUINE ASS
It's Ah-keen'ahs
>day cart
It's d'cart
>Kahnt
>Kaaaaaahnt
It's kunt. Stop saying it like a faggot or I will flag your videos you rancid American swine.
>Gerde, Gurther, Garte, Gert, Gothuh
Kill yourself
>HEY GAL
>UUUUUUUUUUITGUNSHTAIN
>NEETCHUH
See above.

he's the eppitoam of refractory

>Geothe
>not pronounce jee-ohth

>It's d'cart
No it fucking isn't
French is the one language I actually do know how pronunciation works so I'm assuming the rest of your shit is also wrong

Is the final letter of each french word silent in pretty much every case?

Camus is a last name where I am from and we pronounce it "Kam us" not "Ka moo"

original pronunciation is not always retained.

It's a 60% correct approximation like the rest of my makeshift phonetics intended for american piggies and it's definitely more correct than saying DAY fucking CART. Suck a dick, I know my french too.

>John Williams
Jon Will-eeams

>Sylvia Plath
Sil-veeah Plat

>Fyodor Dostoevsky
Feye-oh-dor dohst-oh-ev-skeye

>Thomas Pnchon
Thom-ass Pine-cone

>Cormac McCarthy
kohr-mass Mac-cart-hee

>James Joyce
yayms joeyk

>David Foster Wallace
Hack

Filthy descriptivists in this thread

woosh

Yes, but there are almost as many exceptions as there are actual uses.
Certain letters (c, r, f, l) almost always get pronounced. Certain other letters (n, m) get "nasalized," where you can just barely hear it and it takes a lot of practice to make the sound correctly. If it precedes a word beginning with a vowel sound, silent letters actually get attached to the next word in what's called a liaison. For example les is pronounced like "lay" and hommes is pronounced like "umm," but "les hommes" is pronounced like "lay ZUMM."
You are wrong. Des and les are pronounced like day and lay. It would sound like "d'cart" if it was spelled "decartes," but it isn't. Stop being such a violent pseud.

Jebem ti mater

Wrong site, you fucking waste of life.

>colonel
>pronounced "kernel"

>kuh-naif
>huwait

>table
>pronounced diddly-widdly-woo-woo-SCRUUUUUUNK-badomble

>Leicester
>less-ter

What?

>Des and les are pronounced like day and lay.
That's simply incorrect.

To give you an alternative to d'cart, say it like day without y (without inflexion at the end, holding the a in day + cart)/lay without y respectively.

>It would sound like "d'cart" if it was spelled "decartes,"
Good job interpreting my shitty phonetics in the most uncharitable way possible. It's not a silent-e "dhcart", yes, but daycart is just fucking horrendous French. Refer to my alternative above.

I'm having trouble pronouncing Rindfleischetikettierungsueberwachungsaufgabenuebertragungsgesetz and I have a conference about it coming up. Any help?

This thread is about english silly. It aint even that bad if you speak german.

this is hands down English's biggest sin

Bologna

>Worcestershire sauce
>stupid burgers and bongs not pronouncing it vor-keys-ters-hir-ey sa-yu-key
The anglicization of words is truly a mess

I stand corrected

>faggot
>pronounced (o-pee)
huh

>Pin-sees by Blaze Pass-cal

Ah yes, the anglicization of an English place name.

>peen-us

lmao it's ohp

>Cicero
>Pronounced Kikeroo

Fug.

>Al-bear Cuh-moo

>leicestershire
>less-ter-sher

For what purpose

I'm pretty sure only Americans mispronounce that.

Lieutenant in Bonglish is pronounced Leftenant

>Bicester
>Bis-ter

Qa-ck

PROWSED

>>Kahnt
>>Kaaaaaahnt
>It's kunt.
What the fuck are you talking about, that's so obviously wrong it hurts.

>Worcestershire
>Wuhs-tuh-shuh

He's right, burgermonger. He's trying to say the second sound is short, just like in 'cunt'.

Goethe is pronounced 'gerde' (more like ger-te) 'th' is a front-toothed 't'ad 'oe' is pronounced as an elongated 'ur'.
Kant is 'kahnt'
The rest of your claims on German names are also wrong. i.e., 'hey gal' is more like he-gel but with a 'hard' G.
I have no area what you're trying to mock here.

'neetchuh' is incorrect but still more accurate than what you're claiming. It's nee-tche.

t. studying German and always praised for my pronunciation
You know French like you know German: poorly.

'a' isn't pronounced as 'u', as in 'cunt', in German. Are you Brazilian?

It's not "chore", it's "core".

German here calling you out on your shit. Kant is literally pronounced Cunt. It's a short vocal sound not a long one.

Also there is no R in Goethe.

You aren't German, stop baiting.

>Des and les are pronounced like day and lay
Wrong, burgerfiend.
>"les hommes" is pronounced like "lay ZUMM"
Should have realised you were hopeless. Have you ever heard French spoken by a native speaker? It's not fucking Zulu, I mean it should be common sense even if you haven't studied French.

I'm not a burger you assuming tard. It's pronounced with a short 'ah' sound, not a short 'uh'

It used to.

0:30
youtube.com/watch?v=dvKeCcxD3rQ

>He's trying to say the second sound is short
Try reading this again until you understand. I don't know how to make it any simpler for you, so I'm afraid it's up to you, buddy.

I do understand, you don't. You're some viKANG LARPing as a German. You think you know any German after spending 5 minutes on Duolingo.

>Ibiza pronounced in English with the Spanish thorn replacing the z, despite the fact that every other language pronounces the z
>same logic doesn't apply to pronouncing Mexico as "mehico"
Someone needs to explain this shit to me

Etzala pass mal auf du kleiner beknackter Pseud. Ich hab schon Deutsch gesprochen, da hast du noch in die Windel geschissen und deine bekloppte welsche Pidgin-Sprache vor dich hingebrabbelt. Im Deutschen wird Kant mit einem kurzen A gesprochen. Das Ö in Goethe mit einem englischen "ER" zu imitieren ist hirnrissig, weil es die Aussprache verfehlt und ein R ins Wort einführt, welches dort nichts zu suchen hat. Tatsächlich muss hier festgestellt werden, dass das Ö in Goethe so ausgesprochen wird, wie das O im englischen "word". Aber eben ohne das R.

Also benimm dich und respektiere es, wenn jemand dich bei deinem Blödsinn korrigiert. Sonst schmeiß ich dir noch die Brüggel raus. Altschauerberg 8 in Emskirchen! Komm, wenn du dich traust.

>I'm not a burger
I know you aren't. I wasn't trying to qualify your nationality, just your intelligence.
>It's pronounced with a short 'ah' sound
Correct.
>not a short 'uh'
Cunt is not pronounced with a short 'uh'. I still think 'Kunt' is a better rendition than 'Kahnt' for the use of Anglos because Kahnt might overstate the vowel length.

>english speakers have a problem with saying Goethe correctly even though they use the exact phonology of "ö" in the word "sir" all the time

As an Austrian I can absolutely guarantee than Kant is pronounced exactly like "cunt".

Much appreciated, finally a word on my intelligence from a known expert on the subject.

youtube.com/watch?v=FWNMtcVxa10

That was hard.

I'm not even German (and if I were a Viking LARPer I'd probably learn Icelandic). But this guy says he is and he says I'm right, tee hee.

> Im Deutschen wird Kant mit einem kurzen A gesprochen.
Yes, but a short 'a' is not pronounced as 'u' as in 'cunt'. You're pronouncing 'cunt' wrong. No English natives pronounced 'cunt' that way, except borderline cases such as (((Scots))) and (((Paddies))).
>Tatsächlich muss hier festgestellt werden, dass das Ö in Goethe so ausgesprochen wird, wie das O im englischen "word". Aber eben ohne das R.
Yes, which is pronounced as 'er'. I don't mean 'ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR' as Burgers tend to butcher it. 'er' is the closest sound English has to Ö. Standard British English, not American. There seems to be a communication error here, because I seem to be understanding you better with my broken German than you do me with your seemingly fine English.

The only time "sir" is pronounced with the same sound as the "ö" in German is when spoken by a French person.

That's not how 'cunt' is pronounced by natives. We're speaking in terms of native pronunciation, not SL pronunciation (rather, pronunciation gained through unmonitored means, such as learning English from television or as a child, from other children.)

Both standard British English and American English say "cunt" with an "ah".

Stop trolling.

No, British people literally say "Sööh".

No, that's just wrong. Whoever taught you English was clearly not even fluent.
youtube.com/watch?v=bs8Yjh45rhs

'uh' not 'ah'.

Itt - people with different accents try to explain how to pronounce things to each other using words that they each pronounce differently.

I'm hearing a short a in that video, but whatever.

>Goethe is pronounced 'gerde' (more like ger-te)
>always praised for my pronounciation
Ô, mon Dieu.

Not that user, but you must pronounce 'a' truly bizarrely. Where are you from?

Kant - kant
cunt - kʌnt

Norway.

Well, that explains a lot.

Right. Then again, what mongrel accent is this? >British people literally say "Sööh"

Well they do. They don't pronounce the hard R at the end.

So it comes out as either "Söh" or "Sööh".

We pretty much do. But, y'know... British English is pretty much by definition the least mongrel version of English.

I'm not taking about the r at the end, I'm taking about the vowel. I think you have the wrong idea about the sound that the letter ö represents in German.

It is the closest thing to it though.

If you said Goethe with that sound, Germans would find it acceptable.

Western languages are inherently inferior to Eastern ones do to the chaotic sludge that is their alphabet. 当然咯!

It's probably worth noting that only the upper class version of the accent would pronounce 'sir' that way. Your average pleb on the streets of Sheffield would just say 'suh'.

Sounds exactly like you pronounce Kant.

>feather
>not pronounced Fee-ther

For the longest time that is how I would pronounce it, luckily my normie friends just nodded because of ignorance.

No, you're hearing a fucking short 'u', which just sounds like a short 'a' to ESL ears.