Go to a bookstore

>go to a bookstore
>Find a book I like
>Use their WiFi and get it on libgen

How can little bookstores even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_book
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When I was younger my Dad had this nightstand next to his bed and in it were tons of books with the covers torn off. It turns out he used to work at a bookstore and rather than trash the old books like he was supposed to he just took them home. He was the reason I got into reading in the first place. I know this doesn't really have any relevance in your bait thread, but it's a nice memory that reading it made me think of and I wanted to share it.

That's a really cool story user. Sometimes I feel like there should be general discussion threads. But shitposting let's people casually talk enough.

>people throwing away books
If there's a hell, it's just me, strapped to a chair and watching satan dumping books into a furnace.

Honestly. They could just do a book sale and make a few cents of them, even if they are fucked up.

It's not that. The publisher literally pays the bookseller to destroy them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stripped_book

They should have something to prevent this. They should make you put your phone in a bin when you enter and you can't get it out without buying a book from the store.

wot, what is the point of this?

If a book isn't selling well it's still taking up space on the bookshelf where new books that might sell could be. The publisher wants to get that space back for its new offerings but have some assurance that its product won't just be flipped on the secondary market for a profit they won't see. So, you strip the book to 'prove' its been destroyed with the understanding that even if it wasn't it still has lost considerable value in the marketplace.

Well that actually sort of makes sense, I still think selling them super cheap makes more sense.

Normally stripping a book is a last resort after the usual price reductions. You know those books you find on the big table at B&N for $5? Those are at the final stop before stripping.

>If a book isn't selling well it's still taking up space on the bookshelf where new books that might sell could be.
Yes, I know that logically. But Emotionally, it's a capitalism fuckcycle. There are thousands of people who'd happily read those books, but they would rather destroy their stock rather than just... let people have them. They do the same with everything. Food, clothes, housing, jobs. There's enough for everybody. But nobody wants to just give it away. It drives me up the fucking wall.

I have fantasies where I'm just super rich and do all this shit. Oh my god. As a billionaire? I would single handedly destroy the economy. I'd buy all this old stock, and redistribute it for free (which is illegal, I know, but I'd find a workaround) I have this idea where those countries with these huge garbage dumps, right? I could institute those crusher machines and you could build bricks out of the old trash! You could build building out of the garbage bricks! Sure, it's not pretty, and you'd have to sort out the biowaste, but that's a win-win-win idea! I'd support all these huge charities- those ocean garbage nets, rooftop lawns, replanting forests, biodome projects against the creeping sahara, agriculture schools for africa, so the people actually know how to use tractors and FIX them if they break- God, if only I were rich.

Or..keep all of it for yourself and debase yourself with drugs, pussy and food until you die of a combination of gout and syphilis.

awful idea. Booo.

luckily most academic shit just gets a "remainder mark" to kill the retail price but which just makes it easier to cop a copy on ebay for 10 bucks

most of the shit that gets stripped is probably like hillary clinton hagiographies or other political tripe no one wants to read, like is anyone going to go back and read an election year biography of bob dole from the 90s?

is that what those black stripes are?
I always wondered.

Can you post a link to libgen please, I'm on a new computer.

>tfw bookzz.org doesn't work anymore

just google it and click the link with arabic shit it has as link to it from there

I go to my local bookstore to find interesting books and look through them, then I order the book from my phone on Amazon for cheaper.

>go to small, local bookstore
>steal 3 books for every one I buy

Lol I throw my books away since I'm too lazy to donate them. I could care less.

Nice little annecdote.
Thanks for sharing, my dude.

>go to half-price books
The books are usually in shit condition so just order them online in front of the staff

nobody's talking about you, fuckhead

I didn't say you could reply to me.

>election year biography of Bob Dole from the 90s
Don't know why, but that fucking killed me.

tough shit

Reported for derailing the thread.

good luck with that

Bookstores receive a partial refund from booksellers for throwing away excess stock of books. It's cheaper for all parties involved than for the publishers to pick up the books again.

To keep employees or other people from just getting all their books for free in the garbage bins of bookstores, they rip off the front cover. It makes me sad to think about throwing away books, but it helps keep bookstores in business, so I can't get too upset.

Yeah this.

>How can little bookstores even compete?

Independent book stores have remained steady the last few years with sales increasing modestly. Even Amazon is making its own brick and mortar stores.

>How can little bookstores even compete
You are not their market demographic, shocking I know. Their primary customer base are people who actually like to turn pages than look at a screen; to have a library of bookshelves than a harddrive of PDFs; people with jobs who want to forward the creation of culture by financially promoting its longevity as opposed to hamstringing it.

Try downloading via the iRC method. Better editions available.

i'm still here fuckass

Steal them from your universities library. Most of the retards in Uni don't read literary fiction.

Reported for terrorism.

>downloading via the iRC method
Elaborate please, user.

okay that's actually pretty funny

Just google "irc ebook", obviously. The first link will be tutorial on reddit, but you have to deal with it, since reddit threads never get deleted.

Capitalism was a mistake

>logging onto public wi-fi

you've already fucked up and don't even know it user