Is he for plebs?

is he for plebs?

He is an introductory work for young adults.
Read Burroughs

burroughs is overrated desu

Compared to Kerouac, Burroughs is a virtual unknown. I dare you to find me a High-school, with over 400 students, that doesn't teach Kerouac.
Also read more than just Naked Lunch.

>5'9"
lol

>highschool
>teaching kerouac

literally wtf, no highschool would ever do this

Mine did along with literally every other high-school in the St Louis area that wasn't Urban.

He's one of those authors who appeals to plebs and patricians, but whom pseudopatricians despise.

I thought Veeky Forums would be into his search for God.

That's the impression I gathered. I dropped On the Road after about 90 pages, so I might not be the best person to make a case against him. It was just a very bland novel, and the writing seemed pretty lazy.
>protag can't describe a character he likes without saying the character is "mad"
>three different sets of characters described saying they look like they're "running from something, probably the law"

You should keep in mind that there are two versions of On the Road, one heavily edited by the publishers.

Funny enough, that's exactly what someone said to me the last time I brought up my impression.
A friend of mine said that there's not much of an artistic difference between the original scroll and the one that got published, just that the gratuitous sex stuff got edited out.

Just to clarify, the someone I mention here was someone on this board, not my friend. I figured those two statements might seem contradictory without that clarification.

Interestingly enough I've only read the edited version myself, but my friend, whose opinion I generally trust, read the original scroll and proclaimed it to be beautifully written.

ayup

>beautifully written
Maybe I'm being autistic, but the cliches I mentioned are kinda hard to just forget about. It didn't seem like the problems was that something important was cut out.

Like I said, I was under the impression that the stuff that got edited out mostly just consisted of obscenities. Does the "beautiful" in your friend's description refer to Kerouac's spicy portrayal of the 10/10's with whom the protagonist copulates?

I love Kerouac. He was so influential to me as a 16-17 year old, but not for the reasons most people think. A lot of folks only quote that "roman candles" bit from On the Road as the quintessential Kerouacian statement, but I loved his search for meaning in Catholicism, his traditional--even conservative values--and his openness to being confused by life and expressing that on the page. I've grown up and don't spend time with Kerouac's books like I used to as a young man, but I can't not love the guy for the gifts that he gave me.

He mostly spoke of the rambling, spontaneous feeling of the prose in the scroll. I have no idea if the cliches you excerpted were even in the original version, for all we know they were mentioned once and then substituted in for various commercially unpalatable original phrases in the editing room. Surely someone on Veeky Forums has read both versions and can elucidate on their differences?

He's enjoyable when you're a pleb, then you feel like you're above him when you're a pseud, and then you love him truly when you're patrician and appreciate the sincerity.

no, 'literary' types just resent the fact that a 10/10 football player chad beat him at their own game.

>10/10
>5'8"

I went to HS in NYC and they taught us Kerouac and Ginsberg's Howl

lmao he was literally a neet

There is a sincere energy and drive to his writing which is infectious, original and occasionally quite pleasurable to read. He was a big influence on early Pynchon and I think that's strongly reflected in Pynchon's longer and more florid passages, which are very musical and have a yearning, searching quality to them, like he doesn't always know where he's going next. He's like a wild instrumental solo where not every note is right but the emotional effect of flailing wildly about in high places is generally successful. If he organized his stories better I think he'd be better regarded, but his prose is strong

He was a succesful author who lived off his book money. That's not being NEET.

this desu