Knowledge that can't be gained from books

Let's think "well-rounded," Veeky Forums. What are some essential activities to teach you wisdom that books just can't quite supply you with?

>inb4 obligatory suicide joke

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacit_knowledge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>he reads because "he likes it"

Are you obligated to read for some kind of external reason?

You can get knowledge from books, but only life can give you wisdom. How will you be able to understand anything if you have never experienced love?

Love and wisdom are not the same

Yes

Maybe not, but my question remains. How can you know anything about something you hide away from? Wisdom is something that comes from experience, and experience alone.

>Going outside
>Having terrible tragedy in one's life

some circles in psychology and education have a fancy term for this
> Tacit knowledge (as opposed to formal, codified or explicit knowledge) is the kind of knowledge that is difficult to transfer to another person by means of writing it down or verbalizing it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacit_knowledge

Interesting

how to play music
how to paint/draw/sculpt etc. art
how to play a sport
how to hunt
how to utilize the martial arts (hands/melee/gun)
how to do science
how to do math
how to be in the present
how to speak and write poetically/rhetorically/logically
and many other things

I concede that reading texts may lead one to his desired waters, but in many cases the individual must do something, take action, or gain experience before drinking from the pool of wisdom.

As an antinatalist I already understand everything a lot better than someone with biases informed by their personal experience.

>implying life is not an entirely personal experience
brainlet

I'm not implying that. I'm just implying that both life and the personal experience are irrelevant crapola

Reading prose doesn't even represent a significant fraction of intellectual knowledge these days.

Maths, physics, computer science etc are learnt through solving problems.

A lot of the problems are just made up tho

>hey guys whats the minimum area of a room to rotate this weird shape some number of degrees

Nah, fuck that

Go to the city. It doesn't matter where you live, somewhere pretty close is "the city," and you need to go there. Find some people to buy you alcohol if you're underage. You want to look for the homeless - they're the most helpful and least likely to exploit you. Honestly, the homeless in the city are almost always your safest go-to, because their entire existence depends on human kindness. That shit will humble you. So once you have this alcohol, find a place where people hang out and drink illegally. It could be a park, a playground, or a cemetery. Go there. Consume this alcohol (preferably in paper bags), and talk about shit with the people you happen across. Talk about politics. Talk about love. Talk about your own weird way of seeing shit, and listen to theirs. Share a joint. Bum a smoke. Talk and get drunk, high, happy. Wander the city. Buy too much cheese and miss the bus, so you find yourself desperately munching brie on the side of a bench at 5:30 in the morning, not entirely sure how to retrace your steps that day, or if you'd even want to at this point. You watch through slinted eyes as the sun breaks overhead, and you are reminded that this world is a farce, and that all we've ever had is each other, and that whatever shitty hangover you were about to have would never be bad enough for the kind of existential balance you have found in this moment... until you have it, and you nurse a headache like a chisel, pounding Bud Lite and rummaging the half-smoked cigarettes from the ash tray. You're in hell... but your soul is cleaner somehow. Your heart is closer to the weight of a feather, and you begin to smile at the memories humming back like a radio station you half-remember as what you've gone through. The jokes you laugh at a week later. The girls you could have taken home. The orchestra of life strumming around you, each body an instrument of the almighty, and you a humming string. The moonlight passes, and the day comes, and you might just pen down some thoughts about it twenty years later, on some Taiwanese Farming Community Messageboard at half past one in the morning after having one too many Lagunitas...

Learn to shoot a rifle you effete useless plebs. Prone supported, prone unsupported, kneeling and standing. Benches are for queers.

practical half of physical skills/fields - like martial arts, musical instruments and the like. In part because you have to train your brain with repetition of activities for you to actually be good at an activity but not only that, there are nuanced things one has to explore and learn themselves through physical approach. Like, even though you might practice a specific martial art, your fighting style will be your own, no one has the same brain and body as you. You have to learn how to fit your style and body to that art.
t. practice several martial arts and play several instruments

also, to be good at a lot of things you need to endlessly attempt them. You will never understand mathematics or have the higher intuition required to manipulate it without doing a lot of proofs, for example.

no shit, unless you're a working professional the problems themselves are irrelevant, you require problems - any of sufficient challenge - to build those skills and understanding, constantly attempting things that are at the very fringe of your ability, so that you improve. The point is, this is required if you want to be any good. Also you'd be surprised how much of the seemingly superfluous shit is useful and relevant.

>I am smart
>I moved a theoretical shape in a theoretical space and accomplished nothing

Every day the theoretical edges its way closer to reality. The day the world is stuck in the purely pragmatic is the day that progress stops.

Books can never teach you their favourite food or their favourite tv show. They can never hold your neck and make you look at the glass luminescence of the heir of man's globular patrarchal goodlink. what tragedy

nice

Anything to do with physical exertion falls into this category (sports, sex, trekking in nature) falls under this category.

Aging and senescence as well, it's impossible to understand it fully until you've experienced it.

>He's never fallen in love in a book

Books can teach a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread if they were written well enough, by the right people, and with the right supplementary material. The only thing books can't teach us is anything that requires experience, and even that is just an expansion upon the basic principles you can learn from books in most cases.

I'll just quickly write down some stuff that I think every man should know:
>being handy around cars, bicycles, furniture, utilities, appliances and knowing how to cook and sew
>being able to correctly draw a thing you see in perspective and being able to play a tune on an instrument, to what extent depends a little on talent too.
>basic computer knowledge with some more advanced programs
>math and logical problem solving
>basic field/farm work and gardening
>public speaking, basic social intelligence
>reading maps and orientation
>knowing how to pleasure a woman : ^)

now to the skills where i haven't quite mastered the basics yet
>survival in the nature and in the mountains
>self defence and weapon handling
>fishing and hunting

I'm more of a city person so I don't have time and space for the remaining three. Other stuff that helps you develop in some way:
>cleaning helps with patience
>playing an instrument in a group gives you many skills of all sorts
>outdoor work helps with endurance and strength not only of the body.

The difference between knowing and experiencing a thing, any thing, always surprises me.
Of course you know that a stove is hot, you can conceptualize the grievances of bicycle riders in modern cities and think about the plights of waiters.
No matter how much you study, until you do these things you'll never experience the distinct qualia of doing these things.

bump

Smart men learn from their own mistakes, wise men learn from the mistakes of others

Qualia are by definition subjective and indescribable.

Boxing

I'm pretty sure wise men do both.

Fair enough

>unless you're a working professional the problems themselves are irrelevant, you require problems - any of sufficient challenge - to build those skills and understanding, constantly attempting things that are at the very fringe of your ability, so that you improve. The point is, this is required if you want to be any good.
Why can't you read?

Having sex.

Having a pregnancy scare.

Having a kid.

Working in a manual labor job.

Working in a white collar job.

Riding the metro and the bus.

Talking to a sane homeless person.

Talking to an insane homeless person.

Talking to a priest and going to a confession.

Studying faces for their most unique features and emotions.

Drawing those faces to let them sink in.

Going to parties.

Staying home alone.

Planning out your life ahead.

Being spontaneous anyways.

Travelling somewhere different.

Moving somewhere different.

Befriending someone younger.

Befriending someone older.

Experiencing aging (greying hair and/or balding, wrinkles, fading looks).

Enjoying one's youth.

But also wasting some of that youth.

Reading all of my platitudes.

Giving me a (You).

Why is this still better poetry than Rupi Kaur?

The realization of the truth inherent in physical violence.

Killing one's own food, and preparing it alone from field to table. Fishing in waters where no fish are biting. Fishing in waters where fish are biting. Excessive consumption of food or drugs. Insufficient consumption of food / water.

gay

Interpersonal communication (this goes past social skills, I tend to think of it as extracting as much of another's identity that you can, in order to better hypothesize the world through their eyes.)
This is important on two fronts. One: you'll begin to easily discern who is being disingenuous with you, certain ticks in their behavior; it becomes more clear with time on how to get what they're really thinking out of them. Two: It helps to conceptualize the life of others when you're feeling personally lost or if you're just an autist and can't empathize well. You should see that your fellow man makes many mistakes and has several insecurities -usually stuff you can relate to.
Ability to work with your hands, or a development of physical talent (any skilled trade is a good route for this).
Humor. Humor takes many forms but the best is the most sincere, and trodden through time and your own experience.

These are all things that take as much personal advocacy as they do outside teaching. You'll never learn a trade if you're not willing to put it into your very being, you'll never be able to communicate effectively without opening yourself up, and you'll never have a good sense of humor as long as you shimmy-along on the jokes of others.

because it's not about unshaven leg hair

bump bump bump

ya ur pretty spooked, kiddo

dumbest shit i ever read. you're trying way too hard.

Nothing.
If it can be talked about it can be written about and it has more than you can even imagine. Even things that you can't talk about finds its way into books.

DONT FUCK WITH LITERATURE
This shit goes deeper than u think

You're so full of shit its unbelievable.

I like it

>mfw this faggot takes a bus through baltimore

presentiment is experience however paradoxical that may be - dane autist

9/10 my blood pressure instantly rose

...If you don't get it, you don't get it, man.
That's funny - implying that somehow the vicissitudes of Baltimore will awaken me from this spell of optimistic romanticism of a life that would likely end quickly were it recontextualized? Yeah, I dunno. I've been in a shack near mid-town Compton, watching a bus driver smoke crack until well-nigh 6 in the morning, realizing with each hour that the twenty bucks we gave this guy to turn into forty, get us weed, and buy us forties was essentially a free ticket to his girlfriend's severe crack habit. I mean, we got the forties, so I wash the rest up to tuition paid at the college of life, you know? I'm just saying - people aren't always the tropes you expect them to be, and if you maintain a smile and some trust to people, they don't exploit it nearly as much as you might expect them to.

good writing even though you're trying way too hard, how you interpret this post depends on how dismissive you are of it

7/10