Hi Veeky Forums, most "advanced" book I've read is Kafka's metamorphosis...

Hi Veeky Forums, most "advanced" book I've read is Kafka's metamorphosis. What books are the standards to be on par with you fags?

Finnegans Wake
Bottom's Dream

Parrot your opinions from Harold Bloom's The Western Canon, act like everything not mentioned there is shit, and you're good to go.

Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses. Read them in that order. Though GR is "technically" more "difficult" to read than Ulysses, you are making a big mistake if you don't read at least a hundred books between each of the big 3

Explain why these are so significant

I can't stand Bloom's writing. He writes entirely in eponymous references of authors I've never read. And his books are supposed to be for the average reader. I bought The Complete Poems of Hart Crane, and is introduction is so frustrating. From what I can understand, he chalks up The Bridge as a homoerotic epic of America, almost equal to Leaves of Grass. I thought this nigga was against the whole identity game?

The Divine Comedy
Paradise Lost
Ulysses

Just read whatever the last author you read enjoyed and repeat

Hegel's Philosophy of Right.

Good luck, brainlets.

The Ginger Man
Tropic of Cancer
All of Shakespeare
All of Marlowe
All of Goethe
All of Poe

A Season in Hell
The Cantos
Divine Comedy

Robert Musil's Der Mann ohne Eigenschaften.
Real patricians also read the unfinished chapters and drafts.

>reading the divine comedy
Edgy as fuck. To truly enjoy it you have to study it. Grab a decent translation (good luck with that), a good encyclopedia and the most complete critical comment that you can find and go to town.

Hegel was a fucking clown who wanted to make himself seem smarter than he really was. His ideas, once you decipher all of the unnecessary bullshit language he used, are actually really good and ahead of his time but he should've said what he wanted to say in a lot less words and made it easier to understand.

Demonstrating articulacy isn't about using big fancy words it's about making the most out of every day language.

>ahead of his time

I want this meme to stop

>unnecessary bullshit language
To create a consistent system of thought, it must be a closed system: every thought must be contained in it. It is not accessible from outside, because then it would not be a consistent system anymore. Therefore, an 'easy to understand' introduction in 'a lot less words' is impossible.

In Search of Lost Time
Joseph and His Brothers
Dostoevsky (Joseph Frank)

One day I want to read Balzac all the way through. Anyone here read the whole Human Comedy?

Ulysses is the encapsulation of modernism. Gravity's Rainbow is the encapsulation of post-modernism. Infinite Jest is the encapsulation of new sincerity. It's fascinating to see the regression unfold

You're under the impression I don't have a copy with good notes, good translation, and as well as I myself already know of the Bible and have studied much of the the Greeks and what he alludes too.
Which is all besides the fact that a good translation is all you need because it's really beautiful writing and it's not too difficult to follow his depictions. The only real challenge is not to become too engrossed in the language over the depictions due to how well constructed it is.
Man up and actually read it.

Read the Hypnerotomachia Poliphili like I did and maybe, just maybe respect you.

I actually like your post but I'd disagree on Infinite Jest.

Wallace attempted to encapsulate New Sincerity/Metamodernism in Infinite Jest but, IMO, failed and ended up writing a great postmodern work because that was what he knew and was trying too hard to break. He tried too hard, essentially.

I do agree with your other two comments on Ulysses and Gravity's Rainbow.

I just read the Wikipedia article on New Sincerity and I have to say, I like the concept. I'm tired of irony and detachment. It sounds more straightforward, and that's the kind of person I'm striving to be.

I just don't like the name New Sincerity. I prefer Metamodernism as the official term.

This is a good post.

Pic is me after entering Veeky Forums . Y'all motherfuckers leave me in the dust.

i did. if u like the romantics is pretty good, but will get repetitive for obvious reasons.

read other shit between the big romances and you will be fine.