Has Finland made any good books at all?

Has Finland made any good books at all?

no

yes

one nobel laureate and some cool national mythology is all i think. Gondola obviously their greatest contibution to literature

Jussi Valtonen's new book, dont know if its published in english

Do spürdo spördö comics count?

the kalevala

Anyone here read her?

They are a country more known for their fine arts rather than literature.

moomins

Why wouldn’t they?

Anything by Waltari.

kalevala

Alastalon salissa.

Quite a few. None of it translates to English though. The best non-fiction war literature I've read is Finnish. We have some sick "minimalist" drama novels too, even modern ones.

Finnish posters

What's the name of that young Finnish writer who is also a leader singer and known for being an anorexic?

I believe he has two novels, one called something like "The Golden Suns" or something.

That's good. So is this.

No fucking idea I only read old Finnish books 99% of time

Why is it so hard to translate this? The first version was so old and shit some fucking JAPANESE woman had to make a new edition last year. And while it's better, it still wasn't quite accurate. Goddamn, I could do a better job myself. Shame these retards would never pay me for it because I'm not some ugandan lesbian refugee

Shame Haanpää's books are straight up fantasy. Finnish Lee Child.

Quantum thief was a decent book.

>these retards would never pay me for it because I'm not some ugandan lesbian refugee like the aforementioned Japanese woman

Miki Liukkonen? I don't know if he sings, but he is anorexic (or was). I was a bit disappointed for his new book O. Didn't quite live up to the hype I guess.

Uuden maailman katu by Markus Leikola was pretty cool though I think he should've sliced it to three parts. I wonder if it will be translated.

Arto Paasilinna

Howling Miller is also worth to check out if you like The Year of the Hare.

I've read Tainaron and Mehiläispaviljonki. Tainaron was great and definitely worth a read.

This is one of the best things I've ever read. Really surprised it isn't more successfull internationally, I guess it's too tricky to translate.

I have the 1975 reprint of the 54 translation, and it was just fine

Gondola was made by an Italian, Spurdo is Finnish

i will add The Howling Miller to my wishlist. thanks.

It is shit.

What was wrong with O?

That translation is terrible. The new one is not much better, soldiers use american slang and the prose is just ugly.

You could check out Sillanpää, in particular The Maid Silja. He also got a Nobel Prize (but then again, Dylan got one too).

I want to read this but I'm too stupid to learn another language

Also, where would I even buy this?

Online?