Books on improving prose/writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

barnesandnoble.com/w/creative-writing-for-dummies-uk-edition-maggie-hamand/1102334480?ean=9781119992448&st=PLA&sid=NOK_DRS_NOOK EBooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP77102
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Chose one author that you like the prose, read and absorve all his books for 5 months and try to copy his style.
>Repeat this for 4~5 times until you develop your own style and has improved your prose/writing

barnesandnoble.com/w/creative-writing-for-dummies-uk-edition-maggie-hamand/1102334480?ean=9781119992448&st=PLA&sid=NOK_DRS_NOOK EBooks_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP77102

Just read more good quality books and keep practicing or are you a nigger that just expects to read one guide and become the best writer on the planet?

who is she?

Elsa Jean

Here's some great guides for you:
The New Oxford Guide on Writing - Thomas Kane
Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student - Edward P.J. Corbett
The Imaginative Argument - Frank Ciotti

All of those texts include multitudes of examples of great writing to serve as inspiration and references.

Explicitly for argumentation and style, this is what I like, but I think this stuff is personal preference to some extent:
Grammar and Style - Michael Dummett
Rulebook for Arguments - Anthony Weston

If you're looking for more artistic writing, it might be a good idea to check out the ABCs of Reading by Ezra Pound or The Art of Fiction by David Lodge. They're more focused on appreciating literature than writing literature, but they could inform you enough to place you in the right direction

Also, check out the Benjamin Franklin method to learning to write better. IIRC, it involved attempting to absorb other people's styles by memorizing, and then rewriting through recall and eventually intuition.

-- --

Let me know if this does anything for you.

gene wolfe said he used benjamin franklin's method and look where he is now

Is that supposed to be a good or a bad thing?

Reading good books is not enough: that is where most fail, since they lack the ability to objectively see where their own writing fails to meet this standard.

You need to read a lot of shit books too, and understand how and why they're shit so you can avoid falling into an excess of shit.

You may also pick up some tips on how write a bestseller in the process.

benjamin franklin used benjamin franklin's method and look where he is now.

Any book with good prose ;)

What were Benjamin Franklin's literary accomplishments and how was his prose immortalized for its beauty?

this is the "firm handshake" of the literary process.

Benjamin Franklin never tried to be a literary figure and I imagine that he didn't have much access to the greatest works until he was older. But he was a very successful writer, writing prolifically about science, advice, and politics in the American colonies. His autobiography is pretty good among autobiographies and is seen as a classic. I'm sure you could do better with the same method provided you had greater intelligence, creativity, and environment.

bump bump

>Elsa Jean
came here for this

The Progymnasmata

what do you mean?

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

Practice, Share, and Try Again. Fail better.

are there any books about superior black bulls?

The Turner diary's