Nausea

I read half this book a few years back. I put it down for some reason but am thinking of reading it again. Is it like the stranger, where it has a profound philosophical message at the end that the book leads up to? Or is the second half more of the first half, just some guy walking around the town doing mundane things? Convince me to read it or not to without giving away the end.

>without giving away the end
Don't read it, this alone shows that it's not for you.

Would like to know too. I read it about ten years ago and all I remember was the main character having profound anxiety throughout. I always assumed it was meant to display the wild meaningless of life, found in a character experiencing a crisis which he could not understand. I always assumed I was wrong because that sounds incredibly simple.

Why? Who would want a book they're about to read to be spoiled? How would wanting this book to be spoiled enhance the reading experience?

It's an existentialist crisis.

Dude, it's 300 pages! Just finish the thing!

I'm not the OP. I finished the book a decade ago.

That even being a concern when reading a philosophical novel is ridiculous.

It's a concern with any novel. I'm not a pseudo intellectual who will read the wikipedia of novels before hand. You're supposed to experience a novel (even a philosophical novel) in the way the author intends, being fed information and led in different directions when the author decides you should be. Not by learning the ending through wikipedia before hand so you can pretend you figured out what the novel is about by yourself.

Yeah, asking random strangers about the worth of a novel without spoiling the plot on the internet is a far more profound and intellectual way of going about things than reading a Wikipedia page!

This is retarded. You could argue that maybe reading the wiki on a pure philosophical text might be worth it, I'd argue against it until after you read the text. But a novel? Even a philosophical novel is a novel. It has a narrative that you're supposed to experience in order without knowing the end. I feel like you're a shitty troll just disagreeing with me for the sake of trying to make me angry but if you read what you've written, it's all retarded nonsense, so it's not working very well. Yeah, asking for recommendations on a text is better than reading the ending on wikipedia.

>tfw if you din have a goals you get depression
>THAT MEANS LIFE IS INHERENTLY POINTLESS LOL XD
>but thats part of the human condition cant sit around on your behind all day u must go out and love and conquer the world and overcome urself like neechee-beechee like neeche- I mean nature demands
>you're one loveable pedophile my dude
>criiiiiiingeeeeeeeee xdddddddd

Yeah the ending is totally worth it. I had just moved to Lyon at the time of reading it, and it had a profound effect on me. It's definitely one of those books that feel completely different the second time around.
it turns out the dude doesn't even speak french, which is why he had such a hard time understanding people.

Who you would be without essence? What would anything be if it didn't serve it's purpose? What is a chair?

What is a chair but a miserable pile of wood?

ahh snap

It doesn't even have a plot. Its just about a guy's musings on his quotidian affairs filtered through a bleak nihilistic worldview

"my freedom is my curse. I am aimless. Blah.( Paraphrase)

Existentialism is garbage. It is problem-creating nonsense.

You type fat

Oh, so you can only enjoy a novel once, because after that the ending is spoiled? Jesus Christ how retarded can one man be. Stick to reading comic books you absolute fucking pleb.