Why so?

Why are the Ancient Greeks so popular here? I noticed an overly aggressive imposition of Ancient Greek culture.

Because they ushered in the practice of logic and set the foundations of most knowledge and philosophy carried through to modern times on the backs of other great texts and work. If you want to know the history world, especially in relation to the western canon, the Greeks are a great place to begin.

Look at them bodies and ask again.

Read Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy to understand why their culture is fundamentally different and more lively than essentially any that preceded or followed it.

Humanism

Dude, I'd rather listen to Kanye's album.

>Read Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy

Don't do it! user does not have your best interests in mind. Even Nietzsche recognized TBoT was shit

Because the Greeks and the Bible are the foundations of Western civilization.

My opinion is that the Greeks are extremely simple. That's why.

Throughout most of Western history we've considered the ancient Greeks to be one of the two founding myths of our civilization (the other being Christianity). Western literature, philosophy, and science pretty much all began with them. That's an oversimplification and downplays the role that the Near East played in influencing Greek and the West at large, but it's the prevailing story.

He recognized that it was uneven, maybe even unfinished, and certainly overwrought, but there is no denying that the book contains essentially true insights into the Greeks. It is a good primer on what fascinates people about the Greeks.

>tfw I don't have a cute twink boyfriend to affectionately kiss and cuddle with after a half hour of naked wrestling on a hot summer night.
>tfw I don't have a cute twink boyfriend to empty my seed into after I've wrestled him down playfully

Why even live Veeky Forums ???

The Greeks were far from simple. Studying them might be simple, but that's only because the interest surrounding them lead to tons of scholars devoting their careers to discovering as much as there is to know of ancient Greece, so there are a ton of available materials out there to use.

because its the foundation for western civilization, especiall the art, i.e. literature and this is a predominantly western literature board

Basically this - the psychology of the Greeks is more complicated and full of exceptions and cleverness than any group I know of. There's a reason why their gods are so much more fascinating than anyone else's.

Can you think of any other group whose gods and heroes are so consistently flawed in such varied ways. There is an infinite landscape to mull over with the Greeks.

These so-called simple Greeks were able to calculate the circumference of the Earth over 2000 years ago.

Greeks are popular only because of the intellectual cachet people think it gives them

Hello Socrates, they call me Alcibiades

Because it's beautiful and just about everything references and riffs off greek lit

I could be your twink bf but I hate le sad frogposters and robots. KYS

I think you're missing his point. What (I think) he's saying is that Greek texts are much simpler on a surface level than the ones that followed them through the centuries. Homer, the tragedies etc have no obscure allusions, philosophical dialogues, allegorical meaning and all that. They are just what you see - war, adventure, emotions - as pure and as raw as possible.

>Read a general introduction into Greek myths
>Realise their influence is everywhere you look.

The basis of all Greek thought started when some bored fishermen, being unable to fish due to the rain, had to gather together under a shelter and had to find a way of passing the time. They decided that the best way to pass the time would be "pouring from the empty into the void" -- which is to say, one of them would ask a question, then someone else would try to answer it as plausibly and interestingly as possible. In this way, they poured the emptiness of their understanding into the void of nonsensical questions.

Getting more and more amused by these complex answers, they decided to write down the best answers onto parchments they made, and to pass them down from generation to generation to commemorate the best players at this game. Gradually, their descendants forgot it was a game and began to take these parchments incredibly seriously, and affixed to it the name of "philosophy". This "philosophy" subsequently formed the basis of Western civilization.

Because you start with the greeks and then give up reading

They weren't Christfags.

>parchments

because you begin to develop a sense of taste from them and you ultimately see just how bad people are at creating stories/characters nowadays in fiction.

Why were the Greeks so fucking great? What is it about them that allowed them to become so amazing? So fucking amazing that mankind(the part of mankind that matters: The West(Europe)) is still(granted it's a relatively small minority) jerking off to them in ecstatic orgasm after thousands of years? Sometimes I'm filled with incredible amount of life force from reading them or about them, and other times it's crushing depressive episodes where I realize I'll never witness them by my own eyes, witness everything from the simplest of social interactions to the greatest wonders of the ancient world, never be one of them. Can you imagine the festivals? The orators? The feasts? Modern Greeks(Gayreeks) are for the most part pathetic unironic Christians(Jewish), do they not know what they come from? How are they not ashamed? What is it that's stopping Europe today from pulling itself up to similar heights? Is it because everything has become too big, we're too many? Too complacent? Are we just doomed to painful mediocrity and the seemingly eternal meme of "science"? What's the point in """sciencing""" your way to other fucking planets when there's nothing there, everything will have to be built anew by the people sent there. What will be built? The disgusting glass buildings we all know and love from today, those pathetic excuses for architecture? Is that really the best? Or what about some sterile bleak bubble wrap looking beehive contraption? And who will populate these colonies? The same kind of bags of flesh who love the current mess of a society we live in? How long would it take for the colony to shit itself? What if we meet ayyliens? Will we show them our big go boom-boom rockets or will we show them the greatest works of mankind? Where is it all headed? What's that discussion called about how the current times are viewed as "non-historic" times or something akin to that? As if everything has stopped and now """everyone""" is """smart""" and """moral""" and """good""" and life is just about """"living life"""" and """traveling""" and ""fucking"" and """eating good food like pizza"""? I never signed up for this, I didn't ask for this, didn't ask for this life. What is there to do? I don't give a flying fuck about contributing to the eternal meme machine known as the """""""economy""""""". Why? Just to be able to symbolically ejaculate on other people's faces when I tell them I am """someone""" because of my position at work? What society is there to care for? A plane could crash on my street and I wouldn't even bother look out the window. I'd check the news to find that 146 people have lost their lives and that we should all stand together and mourn them and that we should do everything to make sure that something like this never happens again but more importantly I'd be annoyed with all the increased traffic and people.

I wish one of you could slap me in real life. Or choke me to death, whichever would seem more appropriate in the situation.

Not that guy, I'll cuddle and kiss you before spanking you and calling you names.

>fishermen
I thought Hesiod was a farmer?

Just look how deep of an impact ancient Greek culture had on our lives. Our language, thinking and a lot of Western culture is deeply rooted in Greek tradition. I'm continuously amazed at how these people living about 2.5k years ago were at once so similar and relatable while having a vastly different culture. It's the same with other cultures of the Middle East and Egypt. Quite fascinating really.

I am modern greek and I agree with you.
None in this fucking country understands how Christianity fucked over the greatness of this civilizaton. The meme byzantine empire was infinitely dumber than the ancient greek cities even if it happened more than a thousand years later.

Care to share? Link would be appreciated.

Because the Greeks transcended the Greece

If Americans could transcend America they would establish the next thousand years

Case closed.

Thank you for being a Greek with a brain, my man.

Parchments made from dried animal skins, to be exact.

Looking for a book on Diogenes of Sinope and an in depth book on either greek mythos or Heracles specifically.

So kind of like waifu culture?

Cuz Greeks thought traps were straight

our actual society is crap. i don't feel comfortable knowing i'm helping, collaborating (in any way), being part of it.
i've caught myself thinking about living thousands of years ago, in a mythological, festive world just like the greek polis, praying for my favorite gods with no judgment.
but i dont know. even so shit happened all the time. obscure and insufferable anacronysm would fuck anyone.

Sure, after we act out that Aeschylus play together.
Where is your corporeal being located in this cosmos bby?

Homer et. al. didn't even know about the 'Hittites' (Nesili).

Think about that for a minute....

I'm a bit late,but what i meant is the first couple of books of this list. The first one would do the job,really.

You should read the rest of the list too,of course.

This is actually accurate.

>Why are the Ancient Greeks so popular here?

I'm guessing it has to do with all the buttfucking that went on in Ancient Greece.

This is Veeky Forums, after all.

pederasty specifically. That's the crucial part.