>you will NEVER chat with Joyce

brainpickings.org/2014/03/17/djuna-barnes-interviews-james-joyce/

>We have talked of rivers and of religions....We have talked of death, of rats, of horses, of the sea; languages, climates and offerings. Of artists and of Ireland.

>We have talked of farts, of asses.

Why would I want to talk with a pretentious atheist?

>Joyce
>atheist

i doubt he had no beliefs

>atheists have no beliefs

i meant religious beliefs ofc

>Joyce
>having a conversation
>[He has] talked of rivers and of religions....We have talked of death, of rats, of horses, of the sea; languages, climates and offerings. Of artists and of Ireland.

No, but I mean you're fairly close to being inside his head between his letters and Finns Wake

Why you doubt it? His majors works like Ulysses and Portrait of an Artist are full of atheistic ideals and critics to religion, especially the christian one.

He is just freeing himself from the Catholic chains placed upon his intellect and creativity. That doesn't mean he was an atheist. To me it seems that he believed in something higher, just in his own way. He was coockoo desu.

He was obviously resentful of Catholicism's hold over Ireland and Irish people and the way it made people narrow-minded, but it's hard not to see him believing in some Transcendent Force or even God, considering the way he reconfigures Platonism and Neoplatonism and Aquinas in his works.

In fact, Joyce never clearly stated his religious beliefs besides making it clear that he disliked mainstream Irish Catholicism, so you can't say he was an atheist. It would be a huge assumption.

Where's the full interview?

but did she frig him?

This

"All things are inconstant except the faith in the soul, which changes all things and fills their inconstancy with light, but though I seem to be driven out of my country as a misbeliever I have found no man yet with a faith like mine." -JJ

Agnostics, to me, are just coward atheists.

Well, yes, I admit i'm agnostic about Joyce's religious beliefs, so you could call me a coward atheist for not wanting to absolutely impose a lack of James Joyce's religious beliefs

*Agnostics, to me, are just honest

ftfy

lol nobody asked you

>This denialism

lolmao we cannot know nothing! Better to always acknowledge that!

>coockoo
>not tuckoo

If you believe there is a God, but this God had no contact with his creation nor appeared to them, instead ignore them and gives them no objective meaning for their lives, then your God is an asshole not deserving of praise.

How likely can such a God exist? You just choose to be agnostic if you are afraidof death or living a meaningless life, this being you call "God" gives confort to your, but at the same time he doesn't even care for you. There is a great contradiction there.

That's why the concept of God has to be very clear, full of love, meaning, values, morals, like the christian God.

He was an avid reader of Cardinal Newman too.

>if God does not comform to my expectations he is an asshole
Do you really think that your argument has any theological value?

>wanting to talk to a dead Irish man rather than living one
gee user maybe you are a pleb

>god exists in the same metaphysical framework by which a man is separated from his physical creation
>god being the source of all things is not in itself an objective meaning
lmao you honestly think theists believe in god as a magic man in the sky?