Is this a fun read if I want to get into Chinese mythos? On one hand people hail it was a fun and well written classic...

Is this a fun read if I want to get into Chinese mythos? On one hand people hail it was a fun and well written classic, but on the other hand, they also make it sound like 75% of it or more is just fox spirits trying to fuck humans for life essence or some shit

>they also make it sound like 75% of it or more is just fox spirits trying to fuck humans for life essence or some shit
that is kind of hot

This. OP you had my interest, but now you have my attention.

you depraved fucks

well, this is good if you like inuyasha.
if you like something actually FUN, just read Journey to the West. It's what you want. All sorts of culture in fat dollops. Also, if you want to spend a little money, do some research on Fengshen Yanyi. From my understanding, it's literally a large book full of chinese mythology.

Check out the Four Great Famous Works. Read at least one!

Umm which one has the wolf fuckers, asking for a friend.

>order journey to the west
>unpack it
>over 500 pages each volume
i-i am not sure if this is going to be fun or not

thats why I went with an abridged version
apparently most of it is poetry and descriptions of previous chapters

>Four Great Famous Works
is this the same as the four great novels. eg water margin, red chamber dreams, etc

just read it. it's going to be fine. once you realize that monkey is OP af, and that Buddha still btfo's him, you'll fall in love. fuck abridged. It's literally a longform episodic anime. Just read it.
Yep.

On the cover of outlaws of the marsh it says that Luo Guanzhong also authored several other books. Anyone spot links for english translations to Tales of Sui and Tang, The Sorceror's Revolt, and Game of Five Dynasties?

any opinions on the four novels and the five classics

>sorcerer's revolt
hng

So you've read it?

>Also, if you want to spend a little money, do some research on Fengshen Yanyi. From my understanding, it's literally a large book full of chinese mythology.
I looked this up and it looks really interesting
why does it appear to be so unpopular? theres only 2 english translations and they're pretty expensive

On the topic of chinesd lit, Ah Q is good. Synopsis is that a loser ends up in pathetic situations, but thinks he's on top because he's a dumbass. It's very short and available in English and Chinese online.

i wish. i can't find an ebook, and i aint payin 5 bucks for digital shit.

>Synopsis is that a loser ends up in pathetic situations, but thinks he's on top because he's a dumbass.

Sounds like a pretty s-stupid idea for a book.

We will see about that. If I can find a copy of Iamblichus through google, I can find anything.

It's very repetitive, luckily the stories are short. Well written (in the original), some concepts from Taoism and magic thrown in here and there, but a lot of folklore and silliness too.

The Giles translation is good and available online, but somewhat censored; Minford has a go at him for that (cause muh Victorian morals). That said, Minford is a good translator too. Probably the new translation is also available online too, I don't know. Dip in and out.

So much is likely to be lost in translation that it makes you wonder if it's worth reading

ya got guns? got guns too
wutup son do
wanna battle for cash and see who's suntzu?

the chinamen have never produced a work of genuine art in their entire multi thousand year history

>hasn't read work
>hasn't read original either
>doesn't understand the mechanics of translation
>doesn't understand what is "likely to be lost in translation" either
>spoken like a true philistine

there has never been such a unnecessary discharge of excrement than when your mother gave birth to you.

Please think before you type such nonsense.

prove
me
wrong

>chinks out of the woodwork
LOL

You could say that about your posts.

kek you could have just called him a piece of shit without being so unnecessarily pretentious

It has plenty of spirit fucking.
But it has nice stories too.
I recommend it.

>multi thousand year history
lol never happened, China just like to pretend they're as important and old as Egypt

HUZZAH

chinese lit translates horribly, but I hear it's not actually that hard to learn to read

they were pretty far ahead of egypt. egyptboos overlook the fact that egypt actualy kinda sucks.

Top kek
That said, Classical Chinese is not all that hard. What is hard are all the gay allusions and memetic insider jokes that have perdured for like 2 millennia. That's a lot of shit to get familiar with.

Ok I don't really believe any ancient history. There are actually alot of pyramids in China though.

It's easier than Latin, no joke.

>they were pretty far ahead of egypt
Uh, no. Demonstrably wrong. The Great Pyramid of Giza was built around 2500 B.C. Qin Shi Huang's tombs were built around 200 B.C., two and a half millennia later. (And that's discounting the fact that Qin Shi's tombs were loser piles of dirt compared to Khufu's unparalleled marvel of engineering.)

P.S. What is it with people where anything older than 300 years ago morphs into a uniform blur of 'ancient history'? Have some sense of scale, man!