Finished the Greeks

>finished the Greeks
>have to move onto the boring Christians and self-righteous Middle Ages literature before I get to the Renaissance

Why did we have to lose so much Greek writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/werner-jaeger-paideia-the-ideals-of-greek-culture-vol1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>finished the Greeks

I don't believe you

I bet you haven't even read half of them

Also you forgot to read the Romans and Roman era Greeks

You ain't finished, kid. Have you read Plotinus? Pindar? Did you even read any of the Romans: Livy, Virgil, Ovid, Cicero, Statius, etc etc? Get back in there frog.

Literature is not some linear progression to be 'completed'. You have played too many videos games.

Augustine boring? Dante boring? Medieval romances like King Arthur and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight boring?

this

also this. antiquity is dope but christian philosophy & middle ages stuff is awesome too

who are you looking forward to getting to in the renaissance? descartes? machiavelli? it culminates in kant, that's not exactly a vacation
>then the fun kicks off again w/hegel

you'll miss those good times w/the greeks. this is a good read btw

archive.org/details/werner-jaeger-paideia-the-ideals-of-greek-culture-vol1

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Read whatever you find intriguing.

The next step is memorizing the greeks.

Most of the Church Fathers ARE Greeks

Any chart on the "boring Christians and self-righteous Middle Ages literature"?

>There was a chill wind blowing through the clouds, bringing a drizzle, which hit us with its dampness. The sky threatened such rain as no one had ever known, and to our left lay the thunder--undending thunder--and quick flashes of lightning, thunder and lightning in hurried succession, and all the mountains in front of us, behind us and on every side shrouded with clouds. . . . And later the rain fell, but only a little. It was not unpleasant, just enough to moisten the air. We were close to home when the cloud bellying above us suddenly emptied, and because of the storm our entrance was very quiet, no one being aware of our coming.

>And then, as we reached the covered porch [of the bishop's palace], the sound of the carriage wheels along the hard dry earth was heard, and the people poured out to meet us, as though they had been mechanically expelled from nowhere, I knew not how or why it came about, but they were there, flocking round us so closely it was not easy to descend from the carriage, for there was not a foot of clear space anywhere. So we persuaded them, though with some difficulty, to allow us to alight and let the mules pass, but the crowd surrounded us and would have crushed us with excessive kindness, and I was near fainting. When we were well within the covered porch, we saw a river of fire pouring into the church, and this came from the choirs of virgins carrying wax candles in their hands as they marched in file through the open doors of the church, kindling a blaze of splendor. Then I went into the the church and rejoiced and wept with my people--for I wept and rejoiced as they did--and after I had said prayers, I hastened to write this letter to Your Holiness, being myself exceedingly thirsty, but determined to write to you before surrendering to my physical wants.

-Gregory of Nyssa

Apostolic Fathers, Athanasius, Cappadocian Fathers, John Climacus, Isaac the Syrian, Maximos the Confessor, John of Damascus

I forgot Chrysostom, the most important.

The Apophthegmata Patrum is also important

grEEKs are absolute trash. The Renaissance was anything but.

lmao kid video games haven't been linear for a long time

One doesn't simply ""finish"" the Greeks.

You start with the Greeks. Then, you start once more, with the Greeks.

>"finishing" the Greeks

tomcruiselaugh.jpg

ignore the medieval christians, read the medieval alchemists, or first go back to the greeks and read corpus hermeticum

Please christianfag go away, not this time.

Fucking whigs

With a few exceptions they still progress in a linear sense.

and the celts

>read
>the celts

>this is a good read btw
You spelled must read wrong mate.

>have to

Aight stop right there kiddo. if you read something and it's boring, and you know it's not gonna get not-boring, don't read it. Put it down and find something else. Schopenhauer says that life's too short for bad books. It's also too short for uninteresting ones.

>if it's boring don't read it

b r a i n l e t

I bet you didn't even read Procopius

>revised and modernized

Well memed fellow redditor!

Have an upboat

The original translation had some problems

>have to move onto the boring Christians
they don't show up until a while after the enlightenment. right now you get the exciting Christians

Thanks for the rec

Machiavelli is a pseud. It's basically art of the deal, shitty italy edition.

the gautier book was actually something i found from Veeky Forums
>Veeky Forums rules
but werner jaeger is dope
>and has a fucking awesome name

agreed 138%

No more than your YA Mr. Redditor