What is the greatest work of art in any medium...

What is the greatest work of art in any medium? In this thread we will determine the superior medium by determining the peak of art and which medium it exists in. My vote goes for pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L44Ml8K_mDg
youtu.be/1bGhAsdXc6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why?

This for video games. It doesn't come close to the top of other mediums but you just wanted the peaks so we could compare them.

best book is probably Middlemarch
I like poetry too much to pick.

Who the fuck makes these threads they are so god damn stupid

Downvoted

d/dx of Ulysses is the answer

Le Sacre du Printemps

heh.. welcome to the water, kid

more like

Wow

The rise and fall of the elven kingdoms is so beautiful
Cant get enough of Tolkien

That wasn't even Joyce's best work.

What is it then, Finny-Boy and His Wake?

yes it was, bitch boy

>lit: The Bible or Hamlet (equal)
>sculpture: The rape of persephone
>music: Feldman Edition 6: String Quartet No. 2
>film: satantango
>video games: Earthbound (agree with above user)
>paintings: Bacchus and Ariadne

>not Deus Ex
You know nothing about video games.

À la recherche du temps perdu by Marcel Proust in its original French, or Ulysses by James Joyce.

>Bacchus and Ariadne
Absolutely not

Quartet in C# Minor, Op. 131.

The pinnacle of pop music.

My

Mother Fuckin

Diary,

Desu

the first two Thief games eclipse Deus Ex

kill yourself

>Basinski
>Deerhunter
>Vaporwave
>Sufjan Stevens
>that gay dude
>Sigur Ros

Haha wow what a /mu/ drone

Not really that impressive for something so carefully cherry picked.

>Brian Wilson
>not basic bitch /mu/core shit

i like you

Novel: Don Quixote
Play: King Lear
Composition: Beethoven's 5th Symphony
Painting: The School of Athens
Sculpture: Laocoön and his Sons
Architecture: St. Peter's Basilica

Not Smile. Shits all over that pleb filler.

SNOOP DOGG- DOGGYSTYLE

>lit: Faust (Part II)
>sculpture: Laocoön and His Sons
>music: Hungarian Rhapsody No. II (Liszt)
>film: Baraka
>video games: TLOZ: Majora's Mask
>paintings: Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog

You may disagree with the film and video game choices, but disagree with any other and you are a pleb of the highest calibre.

It's the Divine Comedy you morons.

>depth of passion
>range of passion
>sublimity
>beauty
>transcendence
>humanity
>profundity

All those categories the Comedy wins.

Agree.

Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
che la diritta vira era smarrita.

E come quei che con lena affannata,
uscito fuor del pelago a la riva,
si volge a l’acqua perigliosa e guata,

così l’animo mio, ch’ancor fuggiva,
si volse a retro a rimirar lo passo
che non lasciò già mai persona viva.

No they don't, but they're close.
The first one doesn't because of "Escape!" and "Strange Bedfellows", and the second one because of "Trace the Courier", "Kidnap", "Casing the Joint" (it comes before "Masks", but that one is a much better mission because you have absolute freedom, in Casing you must not be seen at all) and "Sabotage at Soulforge".

The best in pop music is Forever Changes by Love.

Cmon we all know it's Melee

>not sc bw

If you want lore and story read a book (or play diablo 2). Brood war is sitting atop a lonely mounatin in the world of video game gameplay and balance.

Lit: Ada
Film: Days of Heaven
Video Games: Monster Hunter
Album: Rock Bottom
Painting: Metamorphosis of Narcissus
Sculpture: Alexander Sarcophagus

I always try to change the question into "if spooky ayylmaos invaded us, destroyed everything, and only saved a thing from each medium to lazily learn about the earth, what should be preserved?"

>lit: Ficciones by Borges or the Divine Comedy
>film: Au Hasard Balthazar or Samsara
>video game: Ico
>music: Ravel's Complete Piano Works
>Sculpture: Pieta
>painting: Creation of Adam
>TV: I Claudius
>Anime: Paprika

These would be good enough to teach them most of what they need to know about human beings, from God, to our perception of the world, motherhood, technology, and romantic affection.

Or actually, swap I, Claudius with The Wire.

What do people see in Au Hasard Balthazar? I've watched it and found it to be nothing special. A Man Escaped is Bresson's best.

Au Hasard Balthazar is not my favorite Bresson either (I prefer A Man Escaped and Four Nights of a Dreamer), but it does a great job at exploring the relationship between humans and animals, and then uses that as a vehicle to explore humans themselves, particularly our actions and emotions. It hit me pretty hard because I have a soft spot for animals.

It's also pretty much the quintessential Bresson because it does exactly what he wanted to do with film: evoke feelings from the audience through realism.

I think I love "A Man Escaped" the most from Bresson because I despise love as a thematic, because I don't think it exists, and it's really present in his work. If it wasn't for that theme, "Pickpocket" would probably be my favorite of his, but its story is such a rip-off of "Crime and Punishment" that it ruins it for me.

I like Pickpocket a lot too, but I do think it feels like too much of an adaptation (or unoriginal, rather) . Four Nights is different enough from White Nights to feel original, and it has enough beautiful scenes to sort of justify its existence.

Read The Tunnel if you haven't already btw. I think you'd love it.

Which "The Tunnel"? I've read Sabato's just this year, but maybe you're thinking of Gass'. If so, I've heard it's a complicated book so I'm intimidated by it, even though it looks interesting.

>exploring the relationship between humans and animals
PAHAHAHA
PLEASE, dont watch bresson's evar again, thanks

>Faust
>Laocoon
>Wanderer
The pleb here is you. That is literal reddit trying to be pretentious tier.

Lisandro Alonso' Liverpool
Doctor Zhivago by Pasternak

youtube.com/watch?v=L44Ml8K_mDg

prove me wrong

also
Angelopoulos's Ulysses' Gaze
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
and
Ceylan's Winter Slepp
Chekhov's short stories

Novel: Requiem for a Dream
Philosophy: Organon
Painting: Irène - William Bougeureau
Music: BadBadNotGood
Film: Metropolis
Machinery: Pink Cadillac

>it does a great job at exploring the relationship between humans and animals, and then uses that as vehicle
>and then
>and then
>and then
I'm not saying that's the main focus of the film. It is still undeniably a big part of the film, tho; the themes of freedom, cruelty, etc. don't detract from it also being about human/animal relationships on a surface level. And I won't get into Bresson's semiotics on a Veeky Forums post, ffs.
I was talking about the latter's, but Sabato's is also top-tier and fits pretty well with the intent of my rec, actually.

>Paprika

I didn't like Sabato's, but I'll check out Gass'.

Agree with a lot anons here but

Music: The Beatles - The White Album
TV: Breaking Bad

>Breaking Bad

>BadBadNotGood

what the fuck?

It redefined TV that we watch now to become more like an ongoing story than episode-by-episode separate stories like CSI or the like.

LOL my GOD

youtu.be/1bGhAsdXc6M
This must be 10/10 bait. It has to be.

> Beatles

>Bresson's semiotic
user, please

if you see donkey in the movie it doesn't mean that movie's about the donkey. if you see someone's whipping the donkey it doesn't mean that the movie's about the man's cruelty. or the donkey is just a "vehicale" to "explore humans themselves". Or maybe donkey is just a symbol of Jesus Christ?
AHBalthazar is my favourite (alongside Mouchette) and IMO it is deeper than you described "because this film is really the world in an hour and a half"

Anything to back that up? How is it a better use of the medium than any other game?

Personally I feel JRPGs rely too much on story telling to be a top tier example of video games as a medium. They're one step above walking simulators.

Unironically this. People consistently rely on the plot when discussing best games ever. This has just enough story to draw the user in. The rest of the game is built on pure mechanics and it's one of the most intense experiences I've ever played.

Not even the best by that director. Space Odyssey is miles better.

only game that can impart (even to a small extent) the combination of dread and excitement of exploring the unknown. It feels like an epic poem.

Again, user, I'm not saying that the movie is just about human/animal relationships, I've read a shitton of essays about AHB, so I'm not dumb enough to say that. Saying that the film is just about animal cruelty or the cruelty of Gerard would be just as reductionist and lazy as thinking that Balthazar's just a symbol of Jesus.

I'm too drunk and sleepy tho. Night, Godard.

>literature: Moby Dick
>music: Blonde on Blonde
>film: 2001: A Space Odyssey
>paintings: Death of Ivans Son

The Sopranos

> vidya: shadow of the colossus
> literature: ulysses
> music: soundtracks for the blind
> movie: persona or 2001 a space oddysey. I can't decide
> sculpture: unique forms of continuity in space
> painting: i can't decide

Has to be. Triggered me, that much is for sure. I think the Sopranos (I've heard some argue Oz but I've never watched it) fits the bill as as a redefining work in television.

for music I'll go 'the big ship' by Brian Eno

>>paintings: Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog
haha, literally the most basic-bitch /pol/fag painting selection

>film: Baraka
this film has the subtlety of a sledgehammer